Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6668 6669 [6670] 6671 6672 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443558 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100035 on: April 04, 2016, 08:50:27 pm »

The better way to have expressed that sentiment, II, would have been to ignore that he said it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100036 on: April 04, 2016, 08:55:54 pm »

I tend to go to sleep right before the forum's 'busy time'. So I have no idea how much further it collapsed before Toady swooped in.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #100037 on: April 04, 2016, 10:57:50 pm »

alright so I'm doing my calculus homework and it's about U-substitution. I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't wizard magic.
The deeper I get into calculus and engineering physics, the more I am convinced that it is all actually magic. Basically, "sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #100038 on: April 05, 2016, 12:18:48 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100039 on: April 05, 2016, 12:20:45 am »

Normal population as in actual human beings, or as in non-medicinal clowns?

Comparing a specific sub-group of a group to the entire population but not to the group that the sub-group is a sub to does not good science make.

Even more so if they are comparing two sub-sub-groups within that sub-group, but not to the group that the sub-sub-groups are a sub-group to.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:23:02 am by BlackFlyme »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100040 on: April 05, 2016, 12:22:21 am »

come on we don't need science opera is the truest indicator of reality we all know that

here's a clown

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #100041 on: April 05, 2016, 12:29:45 am »

WTF is a clown doctor? I love that they just gloss over that without explaining it.

I know it's the abstract, but come on man, is it a doctor dressed as a clown? A clown dressed as a doctor? a doctor specializing in clown medicine? So many questions!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100042 on: April 05, 2016, 12:32:44 am »

Shitty hospitals will sometimes hire clowns to traumatise cheer up their patients.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #100043 on: April 05, 2016, 12:44:04 am »

IIRC someone made a study of clowns working in hospitals and found that a majority of patients found the clowns disturbing rather than entertaining.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #100044 on: April 05, 2016, 01:38:31 am »

Old Spice ads that say you can only be a "real man" if you wear Old Spice,
Which Old Spice ads? The ones with Terry Crews?
thincake

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100045 on: April 05, 2016, 01:52:46 am »

Old Spice ads that say you can only be a "real man" if you wear Old Spice,
Which Old Spice ads? The ones with Terry Crews?
Probably not the Terry Crews ones.
Not that I have anything against him, but the Isaiah Mustafa ads are more likely to push the masculinity angle.

That being said, at least they're going for 'psychological nooks' and not full-on subliminal advertising, such as they used to.

Speaking of the masculinity angle
It's Ron Swanson from parks and rec talking about how to grow a moustache.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:07:42 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #100046 on: April 05, 2016, 02:08:04 am »

My WTF for the day is artists not bothering to turn up the compression level on .png files before they upload them (or even worse, turning it down). Unlike .jpg files, .png is lossless compression, meaning that the only price you pay is an extra .1 seconds whenever you open the file. On the other hand having it decompressed means that I now have to waste an extra 5 minutes downloading a 30 MB picture instead of a 400 KB one and then have to actually waste all that extra HD space to hold the pictures.

Seriously, I just saved something like 3 GB on my desktops folder by simply starting at the top of the file, opening each picture up in gimp, and exporting it as a level 9 compression png file instead of whatever it was already, continuing the path downwards until I started to hit files that were identical or slightly smaller before than after export on a fairly regular basis.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100047 on: April 05, 2016, 02:16:07 am »

My WTF for the day is artists not bothering to turn up the compression level on .png files before they upload them (or even worse, turning it down). Unlike .jpg files, .png is lossless compression, meaning that the only price you pay is an extra .1 seconds whenever you open the file. On the other hand having it decompressed means that I now have to waste an extra 5 minutes downloading a 30 MB picture instead of a 400 KB one and then have to actually waste all that extra HD space to hold the pictures.

Seriously, I just saved something like 3 GB on my desktops folder by simply starting at the top of the file, opening each picture up in gimp, and exporting it as a level 9 compression png file instead of whatever it was already, continuing the path downwards until I started to hit files that were identical or slightly smaller before than after export on a fairly regular basis.
You'd be surprised at how many artists don't actually understand how lossless or compression works. You'd think you'd at least learn the tools you're using, but nah.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #100048 on: April 05, 2016, 02:23:10 am »

You'd be surprised at how many artists don't actually understand how lossless or compression works. You'd think you'd at least learn the tools you're using, but nah.
I feel deeply guilty now, not knowing half of this and just using resize/crop despite always putting it in a png setting. :-[
* Tiruin scurries away to search up what lossless, compression, and other digital art media terms mean!
I've always been under the impression that compression makes it worse (though I've always had the setting to 9 [out of 10] while GIMPing)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100049 on: April 05, 2016, 02:47:53 am »

Lossless means that no matter how much you try to compress it, it will always look the same, but the file size will be higher than lossy compression, but smaller than uncompressed.
Pages: 1 ... 6668 6669 [6670] 6671 6672 ... 11040