Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27512 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2010, 01:03:06 pm »

Corrected.

However, is this related to the following bug and workaround?  I wonder if the bug is really something to do with accidentally having two of a particular type of material in a bucket or barrel.

It may be linked, but I started a new fort just to try to get to the bottom of the bucket bug and water is the only thing was ever put in any buckets. I don't know where the grime covering comes from.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

Quote from: Another on October 21, 2010, 07:35:15 am
Besides very unreliable distinction of metal bolts for combat, bone and wood for training - taking bolts from bins in ammo stockpiles may actually work from my experience. When a marksman squad has no leader (e.g. the squad captain is killed and you haven;t appointed a new one) - no new bolts will ever be assigned to the squad.

I have heard conflicting reports.  Some say that Dwarves will not pick up ammo in stockpiles.  Others say that Dwarves will not pick up ammo if the squad to which they are assigned does not have a squad leader.  Which condition is it?  The first, the second, or a combination thereof?  I will leave the bug as it is until I receive clarification.

I don't think I've ever seen a dwarf pick up training ammo from an ammo stockpile, even when it has a green checkmark in the ammunition screen, meaning theoretically that they are holding it and checking their inventory shows a full load of bolts in a quiver.

They always run to the craftdwarf's shop for their ammo for training, but I have seen them pick up bolts from an ammo stockpile prior to a fight. (I have no distinction between combat and training bolts yet). Conversely when I set their squad to inactive to try to get them crosstrained on pumps, they immediately went to an ammo stockpile, switched out their bolts to the green-check-marked ones and started firing as civilians.

It's freaking bizarre. I love me some marksdwarves and it's killing me that I can't get the buggers trained up.

I'm going to try removing all my ammo stockpiles and just having a craftdwarf's shop (CLT) with bolts next to their archery targets.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2010, 04:59:12 pm »

Ok, I was wrong about higher than 1/7 evaporation. I've made a room just now with 2/7-3/7 and not a single unit evaporated over a year. Maybe this was changed since .40d or maybe I mixed up with aboveground water in hot climates.

It hasn't changed.

Most likely you had 1 of 2 things happening:
* Occasionally a 2/7 spot would move 1/7 to an adjoining 2/7 spot, creating a 3/7 and leaving a 1/7 behind (I've seen this). This 1/7 then has a chance of evaporating before another bit of water flows onto it and it becomes 2/7. This leads to very slow evaporation of pools of 2/7.
* Your dwarves grabbed a bucket full of water from this stock when you weren't watching them

Water moves about, even when you plan on it being an even 2/7 to avoid any possible evaporation. If any of that water movement creates a 1/7 tile of water, you will get evaporation. The longer that tile stays 1/7, or the more often you have 1/7 tiles of water in your reservoir, the faster the evaporation.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2010, 06:33:13 pm »

* Occasionally a 2/7 spot would move 1/7 to an adjoining 2/7 spot, creating a 3/7 and leaving a 1/7 behind (I've seen this).

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of something else - partial tiles of water will never spread in such a way as to exceed their own current level (i.e. a 2/7 will only spread into a nearby 1/7 tile, never another 2/7 tile).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2010, 06:41:24 pm »

Maybe it depends on the injury - I had a dwarf with a significant lower spine injury in 0.31.12, and even after I stabbed him with an iron spear (to trigger rediagnosis) and had him examined by a Legendary+5 Diagnoser in version 0.31.16 he still wasn't assigned crutches.

Dwarves using crutches appears inconsistent.  People have yet to identify the exact trigger for using crutches or not using crutches.  I will leave it out as it does not yet seem to be a bug.  Instead, I think of it as more research needed as it may work entirely as intended without need for correction.

Appears to only be triggered with minor leg injuries resulting in "Stand Impaired". Foot smashed open appears to be one of the triggering injuries.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2010, 03:56:21 pm »

* Occasionally a 2/7 spot would move 1/7 to an adjoining 2/7 spot, creating a 3/7 and leaving a 1/7 behind (I've seen this).

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of something else - partial tiles of water will never spread in such a way as to exceed their own current level (i.e. a 2/7 will only spread into a nearby 1/7 tile, never another 2/7 tile).

It is possible I am misinterpreting what I saw. I'll pay more attention to this in the future.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2010, 07:42:13 am »

Bump. This should be stickied in my opinion.

Little question. I set a trap and tested it on my dwarves. a torrent of water pushing them into a pit trap, with a wall grate to let the water out. most of the dwarves were pushed through the grate, but left some of their armour behind. One dwarf was left in the pit and subsequently cannot get out. Is it a bug that the dwarves were pushed through the grate ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2010, 08:31:50 am »

Wall grates seem to act similar to fortifications, in that creatures can be pushed through them by flowing water.  Floor grates let water through without letting creatures through.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2010, 09:02:25 am »

How about planting the same thing in spring as you did in winter? Will that leave your winter crops to mature?

The issue arises specifically when the first-season crop cannot be planted in the second season.  In 40d, dwarves would refuse to plant seeds late in the first season, knowing that the season shift might kill them.  In 2010, they will sometimes plant seeds late, and then the season shift does in fact kill them.

It's possible that this is a job scheduling issue -- perhaps the job is queued up at a time when it's still safe to plant, but by the time the dwarf actually gets the seed in the ground, it's too late.  That's just a guess, though, based on the fact that the late planting is extremely inconsistent.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2010, 10:09:54 am »

Wall grates seem to act similar to fortifications, in that creatures can be pushed through them by flowing water.  Floor grates let water through without letting creatures through.

For this reason, when making irrigation from streams or rivers, I make "catches" at the mouth.

Top view:
Code: [Select]
# = Fortification
. = floor
w = wall, earth, soil, etc.
R = river

wwwwwwww
wwwwwwww
www..w.w
w.w###ww
ww#www##
www.wwww
RRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRR
wwwwwwww

Irrigation tunnel continues to the right.
The two 'catches' will get anything which manages to get pushed by river flow.

This is done in multiple steps, obviously.
The river is breached last, from above.

A bit complicated, but I've never had a "surprise visitor" in my well since I started doing that.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »

The issue arises specifically when the first-season crop cannot be planted in the second season.  In 40d, dwarves would refuse to plant seeds late in the first season, knowing that the season shift might kill them.  In 2010, they will sometimes plant seeds late, and then the season shift does in fact kill them.

If I understood that correctly, modding all crops to grow every season would remedy that. I've played like that for some time in 40d; way I'm looking at it, its makes little sense for underground crops to be picky about seasons, since the conditions should be relatively constant.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:36 am »

It's possible that this is a job scheduling issue -- perhaps the job is queued up at a time when it's still safe to plant, but by the time the dwarf actually gets the seed in the ground, it's too late.  That's just a guess, though, based on the fact that the late planting is extremely inconsistent.

Corrected.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2010, 09:32:18 am »

Bump.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2010, 01:39:04 am »

Bump. This should be stickied in my opinion.

I second the notion!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:40 am »

If you designate a Pit / Pond zone and remove the Pit / Pond zone while a Dwarf is carrying water in a bucket to the Pit / Pond zone, the water in the bucket becomes stagnant water.  This adds Grime to the bucket and makes it unusable.

- No solution.

If you (f)orbid the liquid in a barrel, but tell your dwarves to bring the barrel to a trade depot, the liquid will be dumped on the ground and the barrel brought to trade.

This might work for the bucket too, though it's so roundabout I honestly can't imagine someone bothering for a simple bucket.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10