Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27533 times)

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »

In some previous versions, dwarves would claim food and then drop it, where it would sit and rot, unmovable.  I think it was caused by inactive military dwarves with mining or woodcutting enabled.  Has that one been fixed?

I have have not heard of that bug.  Can anyone provide details?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

In some previous versions, dwarves would claim food and then drop it, where it would sit and rot, unmovable.  I think it was caused by inactive military dwarves with mining or woodcutting enabled.  Has that one been fixed?
I have have not heard of that bug.  Can anyone provide details?

I mentioned an owned food problem here Aug 31 and nobody had any ideas: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65043.msg1527506#msg1527506

It came up again a month later, and Quietust said that it was connected to inactive soliders with inactive soldiers with mining or woodcutting: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67147.msg1605275#msg1605275

And I think that Quietust was right, because since then I've avoided putting miners or woodcutters into squads, and I haven't had the problem.  But I haven't tested it in .16.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »

I mentioned an owned food problem here Aug 31 and nobody had any ideas: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65043.msg1527506#msg1527506

It came up again a month later, and Quietust said that it was connected to inactive soliders with inactive soldiers with mining or woodcutting: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67147.msg1605275#msg1605275

And I think that Quietust was right, because since then I've avoided putting miners or woodcutters into squads, and I haven't had the problem.  But I haven't tested it in .16.

Corrected.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2010, 11:17:34 pm »

Thank you, Maltay. This means I have enough energy to get back into the game.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 06:54:19 am »

Thank you, Maltay. This means I have enough energy to get back into the game.

You are welcome.  Enjoy the game.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 07:25:10 am »

Slight correction on the clothing issue:  If you give dwarves bedrooms with cabinets in them, they should eventually gather the clothing they've claimed and stick it in their bedrooms.  They won't wear any of it, but at least this gets it out of the way.  They may store clothing in their bedroom even without cabinets, but the cabinets seem to encourage storage faster and may let them store more clothing.  This may also be dependent on personality traits, dwarves who are organized and neat may store their clothing more quickly than the lazy and disorganized.

Corrected.

I had one dorf who brought in lots of meat with him to his room and always left it there lying around, there were usually lots of it stinking up the place.
Dunno why.. And yes, a woodcutter in the military, I seem to recall.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:32:34 am by jei »
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Burning_Iceman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 07:57:30 am »

Dwarves with old clothes will claim new clothes but not actually wear them.  Without cabinets for each Dwarf, clothes are everywhere.

- Provide cabinets for each Dwarf.  They will store their clothes in their cabinets.  Some Dwarves are more apt to use their cabinets than others given their individual personality traits.  Alternatively, do not make new clothes for your Dwarves to claim.  They will not receive happy thoughts for claiming new clothes, but that does not really matter.  Dwarves will also claim clothes left behind by invaders.  To prevent this, you can auto-forbid material dropped by invaders in options to prevent your Dwarves from claiming these clothes.  Thereafter, unforbid the invaders' clothes only when merchants arrive and you are prepared to trade them away.

Dwarven children will claim clothes but never store them even when they have their own bedroom+cabinet.

Regarding ammo stockpiles: it seems to me they will not take ammo from an ammo bin but if it's lying on the floor they will use it.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 11:10:30 am »

I had one dorf who brought in lots of meat with him to his room and always left it there lying around, there were usually lots of it stinking up the place.
I think it's because those two professions require that the dwarf hold a tool in his hands.  And being a soldier requires holding a weapon in your hand.  And then they also want to hold food in their hands, and it's all too much.

I've seen dwarves report to military duty while holding a barrel of rum.  The show up at the muster area (specialized burrow), then a few ticks later realize that they're holding a barrel and go put it back.  So the current code works pretty well for military weapon plus food, or civilian tool plus food.  Toady probably didn't think all the way out to military weapon plus civilian tool plus food.

And that's why I don't think that eliminating rations would help.  The military dwarves are still gonna eat eventually.  And when they eat, they're still gonna run out of hands.  I suggest experimenting with no-weapon soldiers as miners and woodcutters, and maybe woodcutters doubling as axedwarves.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 11:36:17 am »

I think it's because those two professions require that the dwarf hold a tool in his hands.  And being a soldier requires holding a weapon in your hand.  And then they also want to hold food in their hands, and it's all too much.

I've seen dwarves report to military duty while holding a barrel of rum.  The show up at the muster area (specialized burrow), then a few ticks later realize that they're holding a barrel and go put it back.  So the current code works pretty well for military weapon plus food, or civilian tool plus food.  Toady probably didn't think all the way out to military weapon plus civilian tool plus food.

And that's why I don't think that eliminating rations would help.  The military dwarves are still gonna eat eventually.  And when they eat, they're still gonna run out of hands.  I suggest experimenting with no-weapon soldiers as miners and woodcutters, and maybe woodcutters doubling as axedwarves.

Actually, the problem is that the uniform for mining/wood cutting does not include a backpack or waterskin, so upon going off duty the dwarf will return his backpack to the finished goods stockpile and dump his rations on the floor; after a while, he'll "Store Owned Item" and put them in his room where they'll rot. When the dwarf subsequently goes back on duty, he'll get new rations instead of collecting the ones he had claimed previously.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:49:14 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »

Could you add the bug where a bucket/barrel has both lye and water in it, making it unusable until one is removed?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 05:50:32 pm »

Flooding a room to 2/7-3/7 and letting it slowly dry up usually works. You may have some luck with a simple pump and no micromanagement.

Corrected.

Correction: Water only evaporates at 1/7. A room full of 2/7 and 3/7 of water will NEVER evaporate. You must have some 1/7 depth patches of water present for evaporation to happen. If you have no 1/7 tiles of water, something must be done to lower the water level. Mining more tiles, pumping out the water, whatever.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »

Buckets are slightly bugged. I have one bucket on the map that the dwarves will not touch at all.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »

Dwarven children will claim clothes but never store them even when they have their own bedroom+cabinet.

Regarding ammo stockpiles: it seems to me they will not take ammo from an ammo bin but if it's lying on the floor they will use it.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »

Actually, the problem is that the uniform for mining/wood cutting does not include a backpack or waterskin, so upon going off duty the dwarf will return his backpack to the finished goods stockpile and dump his rations on the floor; after a while, he'll "Store Owned Item" and put them in his room where they'll rot. When the dwarf subsequently goes back on duty, he'll get new rations instead of collecting the ones he had claimed previously.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 07:15:23 pm »

Could you add the bug where a bucket/barrel has both lye and water in it, making it unusable until one is removed?

I have not seen other references to this bug.  Can you provide additional details?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10