Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27520 times)

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Current Bugs & Workarounds
« on: October 20, 2010, 02:38:46 pm »

This is a list of current bugs and workarounds.  It is to address the recurring threads on this topic.  If you have additions, suggestions, or corrections, please post and I will add them about once or twice per week.  This should only be for the current version of Dwarf Fortress.  I will not delve into modifications of the game to fix the bugs unless someone has packaged something easy to use, like for the cat job spam in older versions.  Do not post suggestions for new features or complaints about existing features, I am not interested.  Stay on topic, this thread is not for complaints about open source or discussions on the merits of free software versus open source software.  This list also notes a few features that are poorly understood and often construed as bugs when they are not.

Soap stored outside a hospital will cause job cancellation spam as Dwarves try to use the soap to clean themselves and get confused.

- Only store soap in hospitals.  Otherwise, forbid the soap.

Artifacts made from bone have no decorations.

- No solution.  Then again, this really does not matter.

There are no immigrant nobles; no Dungeon Master, Tax Collector, or Hammer Dwarf.  This means you cannot tame exotic animals and nobles have trouble assigning dangerous punishments, reducing potential fun.

- No solution beyond modifying the game to change the exotic creatures you want to tame.  Also, avoiding dangerous punishments assigned by nobles may actually be a good thing.  The Hammer Dwarf can be quite dangerous.

Elves do not have diplomats, so they cannot impose tree cutting quotas.  This makes Elven sieges hard to initiate, reducing potential fun.

- No solution beyond modifying the game to add diplomats to the Elves.

Some military data is not handled correctly when saving and loading games.  If you save one fortress and load a different fortress, the game will often crash because of bogus military squads and their bogus orders.

- Exit the game between saving and loading different fortresses.

Magma heats creatures too slowly.  They often bleed to death or drown before burning to death.  This has to do with the melting points for different materials coupled with heat transfer.  Creatures' fat melts off first, causing bleeding.  Some survive this and go on living until the heat causes the rest of them to burst into flames.  On this note, temperature transfer appears to be somewhat broken.

- No solution.  However, someone did suggest breeding over multiple generations for skinny Dwarves.  Unfortunately, this means breeding for low healing factor, as skinny and low healing factor correlate, which is likely not an acceptable solution.

Dwarves with old clothes will claim new clothes but not actually wear them.  Without cabinets for each Dwarf, clothes are everywhere.

- Provide cabinets for each Dwarf.  They will store their clothes in their cabinets.  Some Dwarves are more apt to use their cabinets than others given their individual personality traits.  Alternatively, do not make new clothes for your Dwarves to claim.  They will not receive happy thoughts for claiming new clothes, but that does not really matter.  Dwarves will also claim clothes left behind by invaders.  To prevent this, you can auto-forbid material dropped by invaders in options to prevent your Dwarves from claiming these clothes.  Thereafter, unforbid the invaders' clothes only when a caravan arrives and you are prepared to trade them away. None of this works for Dwarven children.  Dwarven children will continue to exhibit the behavior described in this bug no what you do.  As such, in an old enough fortress, where every Dwarf was born and grew up, you will eventually be overwhelmed by clothes.

Dwarves who refuse to wear their newly claimed clothes in a cold environment can get frostbite.

- Assign your Dwarves to inactive military squads and design uniforms for the inactive military squads.  Ensure that the uniforms include a cloak and gloves to protect against frostbite.  You must have unclaimed cloaks and gloves for this to work.

Dwarves in surgery on a table require rescue, sometimes interrupting treatment.  This can be fatal for the patient.

- Put a bed next to the table.  Your Medical Dwarves will pick the Dwarf up and move him or her back and forth, delaying the treatment, but usually not fatally.  Sometimes you need to remove and place the bed to clear it out if an injured Dwarf decides to lay in it.  Alternatively, you can simply disable rescuing of wounded Dwarves during treatment.  Of course, if Dwarves need rescuing just at that moment, they may be out of luck for a while, which can also prove fatal.  Pick your poison.

Human and Dwarven caravans do not bring wagons.

- No solution.  Of course, this means you do not need 3-tile wide roads.

Dwarves refuse to pick up ammo if no military squad leader is assigned.  This can make ranged weapons a liability in combat.

- Always remember to assign a military squad leader.  This is especially important during combat if your current military squad leader gets killed.

Dwarves use ammo designated for combat for training.  This can make ranged weapons less effective in combat as you waste your good ammo on training.

- Separate your combat ammo stockpile from your Dwarves using a locked door.  When it is time for combat, unlock the door.

Gypsum powder does not appear in the hospital inventory.  However, it still works.

- No solution.  Then again, it works, so it does not really matter.

Despite fixes to Dwarves tracking blood with their feet, water will still spread blood so much that the game freezes or becomes unplayable.

- Dig a trench at the entrance to a social area, like a statue garden or dining room.  Pump water through the trench at 2/7 so that it does not evaporate and leave behind blood.  When Dwarves walk through the water, they will get clean.  Circulate the water in a closed system using pumps.  The pumps will purify the water and remove the blood cleaned off of the Dwarves.  To force specific Dwarves to clean themselves, place an unconnected lever on the far side of a trench at 2/7 with pumped water and order the Dwarf to pull the lever.

Dwarves with hauling disabled will stand around trying to haul something outside their burrow if they have a burrow assigned, spamming cancel messages and accomplishing nothing.

- Do not disable hauling.  Alternatively, do not assign Dwarves to burrows.  Better yet, make sure that Dwarves with assigned burrows and hauling disabled can reach every stockpile and site they need to reach without leaving their burrows.  You can also do the opposite, Dwarves without assigned burrows and hauling enabled, to haul stuff between stockpiles in different burrows.  This gives rise to your dedicated hauling class.

Dwarves sometimes plant seeds right before a season ends.  If those crops cannot grow in the next season, and a different crop is assigned for the next season, then it is too late for the crops to grow and wastes seeds when they are overwritten by the next season's crops.

- No real solution.  You can build more Farm Plots than strictly necessary and set seasonal crops to be followed by fallow seasons on a per Farm Plot basis.  However, this require micromanagement and is annoying.  If you do not do this, be careful, as you may run out of some seeds.  Ergo, seeds are no longer an infinitely renewable resource provided you manage your kitchen correctly.

Caverns occasionally collapse when you embark because of site generation issues.

- Wait for the cavern to finish collapsing.  If this takes too long, close the game and find a new site.

Whips, scourges, and lashes are ridiculously powerful and slice through steel armor.

- No solution.  Run away and get creative with your traps, ranged weapons, or siege equipment.  I have a vision of weapon traps that use whips, scourges, and lashes captured from prisoners via cage traps and forbid on the stocks screen.

Cannot create items from crystal glass.

- No solution beyond modifying the game.  You can use a hex editor to modify the game.  If you need a hex editor, I recommend HxD.  You can download HxD at http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/.  This modification only works for the Microsoft Windows version of the game.  This is only intended for Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25 and may break your game if you are using a different version.  Likewise, it may break your save game if you switch versions.  Therefore, use at your own risk.  Look for the following:
Code: [Select]
0036AE87: 7C B8 32 00 00 00
0036AE9B: 0F BF 4F 78 85 C9
Change it to the following:
Code: [Select]
0036AE87: 78 0F BF 47 7C 90
0036AE9B: B9 32 00 00 00 90

Assigning a Dwarf to an inactive military squad will cause the Dwarf to dump his or her claimed military provisions all over the floor.  Later, the Dwarf will clean up and collect the claimed military provisions in his or her room where they rot.  When returned to active duty, the Dwarf claims new food for his or her military provisions.  Eventually, you have rooms full of rotten food which is never cleaned up.  This happens because the military squad uniform does not include a backpack and waterskin.

- Always ensure the uniforms for your military squads include a backpack and waterskin.

Cannot find or grow good or evil plants regardless of biome.  You can buy Sun Berry and Silver Barbs seeds from Elven caravans, but as stated, you cannot grow them.  Good and evil plants include Sun Berry, Silver Barb, Glumprong, and Feather Tree.

- No solution for Sun Berry or Silver Barb.  You must forgo brewing the game's most expensive alcohol.  You can fix Glumprong and Feather Tree by modifying their entries in the RAW files using the entries at http://pastebin.com/vc3fLvCD.

If you designate a pond/pit zone and remove the the pit/pond zone while a Dwarf is carrying water in a bucket to the pit/pond zone, the water in the bucket becomes stagnant water.  This adds grime to the bucket and makes it unusable.  Dwarves sometimes transfer this mixture to a barrel, making the barrel unusable instead.

- Wait for a caravan.  Forbid the grime in the bucket or barrel and then order the bucket or barrel brought to the Trade Depot.  In the process, the grime in the bucket or barrel will be dumped on the ground, leaving only water and fixing the barrel or bucket.  Alternatively, forbid all empty buckets, designate a pond/pit zone, and order it filled.  Dwarves will empty the unusable buckets into the pond/pit zone, at which point you forbid the fixed buckets.  When all unusable buckets are fixed and forbidden, remove the pond/pit zone and unforbid all buckets.

Dwarves using crutches appears inconsistent.

This is not a bug.  Dwarves only use crutches if their injury causes "Stand Impaired".  This restricts Dwarves with leg injuries to using crutches.

Vertical Bars and Fortifications do not appear solid.  If a Dwarf is pressed against either by a water flow, they will sometimes pass through the Vertical Bars or Fortifications leaving some of their items behind.

This is not a bug.  Vertical Bars and Fortifications are not solid surfaces.  A certain percentage of Dwarves, their items, and other creatures will pass through Vertical Bars or Fortifications when pressed against either by a water flow.  This does not hold true for Floor Grates, which presumably have both vertical and horizontal bars.  Note that since Vertical Bars and Fortifications are not solid surfaces, your fortress may gain surprise visitors if your water source is connected to a river and filtered by either.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:00:52 pm by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »

Reserved for future content by thread author.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:25:26 pm by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:44:28 pm »

Elves do not have diplomats, so they cannot impose tree cutting quotas.

- No solution.
This can be corrected through modding, by adding a diplomat position to the elf civilization data.

Despite fixes to tracking blood with your feet, water will still spread blood so much that the game freezes or becomes unplayable.

- Place grates at the entrances to your fortress and near water sources so that blood cannot spread very far because of water.
Grates do not stop the spread of blood, they act the same as floor as far as spreading blood is concerned.  Blood spread can be fought by setting up trenches with shallow flowing water that your dwarves have to walk through periodically.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:45:47 pm »

Reserved for future content by thread author.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:25:23 pm by Maltay »

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »

Grates do not stop the spread of blood, they act the same as floor as far as spreading blood is concerned.  Blood spread can be fought by setting up trenches with shallow flowing water that your dwarves have to walk through periodically.

Corrected.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:41:02 pm by Maltay »

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:52:32 pm »

This can be corrected through modding, by adding a diplomat position to the elf civilization data.

Corrected.  If you have a pre-packaged version of the corrected raw file, you can upload it to the Dwarf Fortress File Depot (DFFD) at http://dffd.wimbli.com/ and I can post a hyperlink to it in the thread.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:41:35 pm by Maltay »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

Foreign units lose their position when they leave the map, resulting in a new Outpost Liaison ever year and Human law-givers only visiting your fortress once in their entire life.

This part has actually been fixed in version 0.31.16 - I first observed it in a 0.31.12 fortress, but after upgrading to 0.31.16, a new Law-giver arrived the very next summer (over 10 years after the original one visited).

Dwarves with old clothes will claim new clothes but not actually wear them.

- No solution.  If you do not make new clothes for them to claim, then they do not get the happy thoughts that come with claiming new clothes.  These are useful, though not necessary, to counteract the unhappy thoughts received when clothes rot off their bodies.

The unhappy thoughts received from old clothing were removed back in version 0.27.176.38a.

Dwarves in surgery on a table require rescue, sometimes interrupting treatment.

- Put a bed next to the table.  Your Medical Dwarves will pick the Dwarf up and move him or her back and forth, delaying the treatment, but usually not fatally.  Sometimes you need to remove and place the bed to clear it out if an injured Dwarf decides to lay in it.
It also helps to disable rescuing of wounded dwarves while surgery is in progress.

Dwarves use ammo designated for combat for training and refuse to pick up ammo stored in stockpiles or bins.
The latter doesn't actually happen - dwarves pick up ammo from bins just fine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:40:12 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 04:20:37 pm »

This part has actually been fixed in version 0.31.16 - I first observed it in a 0.31.12 fortress, but after upgrading to 0.31.16, a new Law-giver arrived the very next summer (over 10 years after the original one visited).

Corrected.

The unhappy thoughts received from old clothing were removed back in version 0.27.176.38a.

Corrected.

It also helps to disable rescuing of wounded dwarves while surgery is in progress.

Corrected.

The latter doesn't actually happen - dwarves pick up ammo from bins just fine.

Corrected.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:41:47 pm by Maltay »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:21:44 pm »

Dwarves never receive crutches when they need them, leaving them   in the hospital and bedridden forever.  This is sort of like   pre-medical system Dwarf Fortress.

- No solution.

Nah, I saw a dwarf using crutches a while back.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:24:18 pm »

Corrected.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

You must do this frequently, as the soil eventually dries out.
I am almost completely certain that mud will not dry up.
What may be happening is your dwarves are cleaning the mud out from under the farms.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:31:20 pm »

I am almost completely certain that mud will not dry up.
What may be happening is your dwarves are cleaning the mud out from under the farms.

Corrected.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 05:04:25 pm »

Dwarves never receive crutches when they need them, leaving them   in the hospital and bedridden forever.  This is sort of like   pre-medical system Dwarf Fortress.

- No solution.

Maybe it depends on the injury - I had a dwarf with a significant lower spine injury in 0.31.12, and even after I stabbed him with an iron spear (to trigger rediagnosis) and had him examined by a Legendary+5 Diagnoser in version 0.31.16 he still wasn't assigned crutches.

Also:
No sieges, which is not fun.

- No solution.
This was only true of version 0.31.13 and 0.31.14 - if you upgrade to 0.31.15 or later, sieges will automatically start again.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:06:39 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »

Maybe it depends on the injury - I had a dwarf with a significant lower spine injury in 0.31.12, and even after I stabbed him with an iron spear (to trigger rediagnosis) and had him examined by a Legendary+5 Diagnoser in version 0.31.16 he still wasn't assigned crutches.

Dwarves using crutches appears inconsistent.  People have yet to identify the exact trigger for using crutches or not using crutches.  I will leave it out as it does not yet seem to be a bug.  Instead, I think of it as more research needed as it may work entirely as intended without need for correction.

This was only true of version 0.31.13 and 0.31.14 - if you upgrade to 0.31.15 or later, sieges will automatically start again.

Corrected.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

I think dwarves only remove mud from smoothed stone floors. Solution: Make sure to not smooth the area under your farm plot.

Additionally, exotic creatures can be tamed by manually altering the raws, or via the NoExotics mod, which edits the RAWs in each creature entry at once.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:09:29 pm by veok »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10