Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27518 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2010, 10:23:01 am »

I wonder, is there any way to have gloves and boots modded as universal?  That is, remove the left/right distinction entirely?

*looks in raws*

They don't appear to have any tag identifying them as being made in pairs.
Probably hard coded  :'(

But I'd love for other people to try, maybe would could create an item "pair of gloves" which had the right stats to cover both hands.
Worth a shot.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2010, 11:44:19 am »

I've seen water evaporate from initial average more than 2/7 everywhere in completely enclosed (no wells or channels to drink from above) INSIDE (and UNDERGROUND if it matters) rooms. Carry out a dedicated experiment (you will definitely be able to see the difference in average water level after at least 6 in-game months even if you start with 5/7) and see for yourself.

I already have plenty of evidence that this does not happen - I've filled underground passages to 7/7 from a river and then sealed them off with floodgates, and they never drop below 7/7, even after over ten years of game time.
Right, 7/7 never evaporates. I haven't ever said it does. What I tried to say is that the higher the level of a liquid the slower it evaporates. From relatively fast 1/7 that you can notice live in action to several years for 5/7-6/7  and never for 7/7.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2010, 12:26:42 pm »

I left 4/7 water for a year, and not a single bit evaporated.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2010, 11:44:56 am »

Ok, I was wrong about higher than 1/7 evaporation. I've made a room just now with 2/7-3/7 and not a single unit evaporated over a year. Maybe this was changed since .40d or maybe I mixed up with aboveground water in hot climates.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2010, 01:42:32 pm »

I thought I had evaporation of 7/7 but after a couple minutes of scratching my head, I unpaused it and realised that I hadn't undesignated it as a water source. Dwarves were filling a hole in the ground with water from an earlier plan.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2010, 01:53:40 pm »

When you make lye, it is possible for the lye maker to use a bucket that already has water in it.
This resultes in abucket that has both lye and water in it, rendering it useless. I have seen the mixture be transfered to a barrel, but the barrel was also unusable.
A fix that I have seen involves bringing the bucket/barrel to the trade depot, then forbidding the water while moving the bucket/barrel out of the depot, but I have not tried this myself.

Corrected.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2010, 01:56:03 pm »

In reference to the buckets, one possible solution to getting the water out may be to have an active dairy.  I have a farmer's workshop milking cows non-stop.  Tiles around the workshop are covered with 'a smear of water'  It seems that dwarves are grabbing buckets to use for milking cows and dumping out the water before they do the milking.  The buckets of milk are eventually taken to the milk barrel stockpile where the milk is removed, resulting in empty buckets.

Corrected.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2010, 02:01:00 pm »

Wait for a trading caravan and order those buckets to be brought to the Depot. Water from them will be lost somewhere in the process. Cancel the trading and get buckets with lye that is usable to be automatically transferred to an empty barrel on your food stockpile or just buy 1 barrel with 10 lye from the traders if they have one.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »

A room with anything less than 7/7 WILL eventually evaporate. Be it water or magma. It may just take too long (about a year for 4/7 water to completely evaporate, may take even longer for magma). Conduct an experiment and see yourself.

Starting with 1/7 and a few 2/7 is of course recommended for fast farming.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »

I've never had water in an UNDERGROUND/INSIDE area evaporate unless it was at 1/7. Water in outside areas can evaporate if the biome is correct for that (and even 7/7 tiles will "evaporate" then). Even in these "hot" biomes, a pool of 3/7 water in an INSIDE/UNDERGROUND reservoir never evaporates. That's never as in 20 years and running.

Evaporation only happens UNDERGROUND/INSIDE if the water is 1/7. OUTSIDE evaporation will happen if water evaporates in that biome.

I have seen reservoirs with water in them go down from DWARVES using it as a nearby source of water. Pehaps this is the source of your "evaporation"? Or is the area marked "outside"? As that would also allow water to disappear/evaporate.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »

Not quite correct.  Glass, unlike most materials, has statistics generated internal to DF instead of loaded from the raws.  Due to a bug, the sharpness value is uninitialized; this means that it is effectively random.  It could be *anything* for a given fort, including far sharper than any known material; but the most common result is zero, or the dullest material in the universe. It may also change every time you reload the fort; if it were reliably blunt, it could be used for training, but there is no way to tell whether it will be ridiculously sharp or hopelessly blunt on any given load of a savefile. 

Possible fix: The live image memory-hacking techniques used by various external DF utilities to clean contaminants, embark with more or less than 7 dwarves, etc. should be able to insert the correct sharpness value for glass once someone finds the right location (signature).  This would need to be run each time you started DF, and possibly each time you loaded a fort. 

Corrected.

More research is needed; most reports I've seen and my personal experience is that they don't pick up ammo in bins, but that stockpiles with no bins (max bins set to 0, in forts that have never produced a bin, etc.) still work.  I've not tested this in detail in the current version however.

Can anyone confirm whether Dwarves will pick up ammo from a stockpile with no bins?

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2010, 02:15:25 pm »

If you have dwarves carrying water to a pond, while you disable / delete the pond then the water in the bucket they are carrying instantly becomes stagnant water. This bucket would seem to be forever useless thereafter. No amount of dumping, forbidding, taking to and from a trade depot and back again, will get them to empty the bucket of stagnat water with grime coating. The game doesn't even seem to recognise it as a bucket anymore. If you D the bucket while in the trade depot it actually disappears and you have to use Z stocks to locate ti again.  The dwarves did dump the bucket once, with water intact, but after that they won't touch it apart from taking it to a trade depot. The only solution that I can see is to trade it away.

Corrected.

However, is this related to the following bug and workaround?  I wonder if the bug is really something to do with accidentally having two of a particular type of material in a bucket or barrel.

When making lye, Dwarves sometimes use buckets already containing water.  This results in an unusable bucket that contains both lye and water.  Dwarves will sometimes transfer the mixture to a barrel, rendering the barrel unusable instead.

- Wait for a caravan.  Order the unusable bucket or barrel brought to the Trade Depot and then cancel the order.  In the process, the water in the bucket or barrel will disappear, leaving only lye.  Thereafter, simply move the bucket or barrel back to stockpile.  Alternatively, Dwarves assigned to milk creatures at a Farmer's Workshop will empty the buckets they pick up before using them.  Just make sure the unusable bucket is in a stockpile beside the Farmer's Workshop.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2010, 02:31:45 pm »

I actually don't find this to be true. I wasn't aware of this being an issue so I was storing all my wooden bolts in bins, and the dwarves picked them up with no problems.

I have heard conflicting reports.  Some say that Dwarves will not pick up ammo in stockpiles, bins, or a combination thereof.  Others say that Dwarves will not pick up ammo if the squad to which they are assigned does not have a squad leader.  Which condition is it?  The first, the second, or a combination thereof?  I will partially modify the bug and workaround and wait for further clarification.

However, I seem to have the bug with military dwarves leaving food all over the place, and as far as I can tell, none of them have woodcutter/miner labors enabled. The bug is related to the labors right, not just having skill in woodcutting/mining? I've ended up simply disabling carrying food in backpacks.

Corrected.

Also for the gauntlets problem - if I understand the bug correctly, dwarves don't care about left/right at all. So even if you had, say, 10 masterwork left and 10 masterwork right gauntlets, with everything else forbidden, your 10 military dwarves might decide to take 2 left gloves, or 2 right gloves instead of one of each. The only way forbidding would work is if you forbid all gauntlets of a certain quality except for 2, which were a left/right pair.

Instead of trying to do that, I've decided I'd rather assign specific left/right gauntlets, that way I can guarantee proper equipping. This works, the only problem is that when you go to assign specific gauntlets, ALL gauntlets are shown, even the ones already claimed by other dwarves, and it's impossible to distinguish between claimed/unclaimed. And to top it off it seems like the game crashes if you try to assign the same gloves to two dwarves. I've managed to assign gloves to my 3 main dwarves properly basically by educated guesswork as to which gauntlets are unclaimed. When the rest of my military/gear is ready though I plan to un-claim all gauntlets and then I should be able to go down the list and arm everyone properly.

If anyone has a better workaround I'd love to hear it... :)

Corrected.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2010, 03:36:01 pm »

Dwarves plant seeds right before a season ends.  This is too late for the plants to grow and wastes seeds.

- No solution.  Be careful, you might run out of seeds.  Seeds are no longer an infinitely renewable resource even if you manage your kitchen correctly.
Does this still happen?
My fort just entered winter, and all the non-winter crops stayed planted.
However, I am on a climate where seasons "arrive on the calendar", which may have something to do with it.

EDIT: Going back to spring, some of my crops disappeared. I believe that this means that only crops which are "overwriten" by the new crop are replaced.

This means that fallowing the next season before it happens should save current crops.
Be back when I try it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:42:20 pm by FuzzyZergling »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2010, 07:39:54 pm »

This means that fallowing the next season before it happens should save current crops.
Be back when I try it.

How about planting the same thing in spring as you did in winter? Will that leave your winter crops to mature?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10