Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27509 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »

I sucessfully made crystal glass with this fix.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sunberries
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2011, 02:25:20 pm »

You can't grow/find sunberries regardless of the biome.

Dwarf Fortress Wiki > DF2010:Sun berry > Bugs
Like all plants with the [GOOD] and [EVIL] tags, sun berries currently don't show up anywhere.

It's not just Sun Berries, there are other plants "bugged" like that as well.

Edit: I followed the bug report and learned more:
Good/evil plants/trees don't appear (feather trees, glumprongs, sliver barbs, and sun berries)
Deleting [GOOD]/[EVIL] tags in plant_standard.txt doesn't help, but is required with more editing to make some workaround (these trees will appear in any biomes - good, evil and normal):
http://pastebin.com/vc3fLvCD
This pastebin contains code fixes for the Glumprong and Feather Tree, but that's it. I'll have to dig around to see if there's a fix for Sliver Barbs and Sun Berries (if it's even possible without an official bug fix).

Is the grass bugged the same way, or only plants? Since they are different instances, I think they are unrelated, but it's still safer to ask :).
I haven't done much testing myself. But it sounds like it's mainly the four plants mentioned in the official bug report (which includes two trees and two non-trees). Don't the usual good and evil grasses still appear? (Good grasses: bubble bulb & downy grass | Evil grasses: wormy tendril, staring eyeball)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:36:47 am by Thundercraft »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2011, 12:49:22 pm »

Marksdwarves also grab ammo from stockpiles now, no problem.  That bug list is pretty out of date.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

There exists an unofficial fix for making crystal glass, but it only works with the Win32 SDL version - open "Dwarf Fortress.exe" in a hex editor and change the following bytes:
Code: [Select]
0036AE87: Change "7C B8 32 00 00 00" to "78 0F BF 47 7C 90"
0036AE9B: Change "0F BF 4F 78 85 C9" to "B9 32 00 00 00 90"

I could probably produce a patch for the Win32 Legacy version as well, but I don't believe I'd be able to patch the Linux or Mac versions.

Out of curiosity, how does that patch work?  Are you changing instructions or data or what?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »

Out of curiosity, how does that patch work?  Are you changing instructions or data or what?

That's hex editing, which means it involves changing the bits/bytes of the "Dwarf Fortress.exe" game program itself. It's hacking the game, old skool. The only method I'm familiar with is using a hex editor to find where to apply the changes and apply them. But perhaps there's another way to apply it as a "patch" without a hex editor?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:18:04 pm by Thundercraft »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:42 pm »

There exists an unofficial fix for making crystal glass, but it only works with the Win32 SDL version - open "Dwarf Fortress.exe" in a hex editor and change the following bytes:
Code: [Select]
0036AE87: Change "7C B8 32 00 00 00" to "78 0F BF 47 7C 90"
0036AE9B: Change "0F BF 4F 78 85 C9" to "B9 32 00 00 00 90"

I could probably produce a patch for the Win32 Legacy version as well, but I don't believe I'd be able to patch the Linux or Mac versions.

The first line changes the instructions "mov dx,[edi+7c]" and "mov eax,00000032" to "mov dx,[edi+78]" and "movsx eax, word ptr [edi+7c]" (plus a "nop" to pad it out) so that it passes the correct parameters to the "load Material" function ([edi+78] is the material ID, [edi+7c] is the submaterial ID).
The second line changes the instructions "movsx ecx, word ptr [edi+78]" and "test ecx,ecx"* to "mov ecx,00000032" and "nop" so that it checks the proper material flag on the material it just loaded (flag #50 is CRYSTAL_GLASSABLE).

* I had to drop the "test ecx,ecx" to make room for the longer "mov" instruction, but it should still work unless the material pointer is somehow above 80000000h (which shouldn't happen since Dwarf Fortress was not compiled/linked with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE) - to be safer, the following bytes "78 2D" ("js (label)") can also be replaced with "90 90" (2x "nop") since we already know that ecx isn't negative.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2011, 07:16:21 pm »

You can also force a dwarf to wash itself off by building a Dwarven Bathtub at the front of a dead-end hallway with a lever (or two, or three, or more...) at the end.  Assign the lever to whichever dwarf is spamming you, then order it pulled.  That dwarf will wander through the water in the bathtub to get to the lever, cleaning itself.  I don't know what it does for infection rates, but I know for a fact that they stop spamming you after that.

Added to solution.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2011, 07:19:10 pm »

Posting to watch thread.

Appreciated.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2011, 07:27:05 pm »

Whips and scourges are still overpowered, but the "two left gauntlets" problem has been fixed.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:18 pm »

To update the thread, the outpost liason not assigning a Baron, random glass sharpness, unusable gypsum powder spam, underground farms needing mud on soil, and watery lye bugs seem to be fixed, if I remember correctly.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sunberries
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »

It's not just Sun Berries, there are other plants "bugged" like that as well.

Edit: I followed the bug report and learned more:

This pastebin contains code fixes for the Glumprong and Feather Tree, but that's it. I'll have to dig around to see if there's a fix for Sliver Barbs and Sun Berries (if it's even possible without an official bug fix).

I haven't done much testing myself. But it sounds like it's mainly the four plants mentioned in the official bug report (which includes two trees and two non-trees). Don't the usual good and evil grasses still appear? (Good grasses: bubble bulb & downy grass | Evil grasses: wormy tendril, staring eyeball)

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2011, 07:33:16 pm »

This thread is depressing. I was all excited about the coming vampires etc. and had started digging out a new fort, but then saw this thread and got reminded of all the annoying kludgery that made me stop playing last time =(.

I mean, good thread, but geesh. Some of those bugs have to be, what, a year old? Six months at least?

It is a complex game and still in alpha.  However, since I last updated, many of the bugs have been fixed.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:32 pm »

Does this still happen?
My fort just entered winter, and all the non-winter crops stayed planted.
However, I am on a climate where seasons "arrive on the calendar", which may have something to do with it.

EDIT: Going back to spring, some of my crops disappeared. I believe that this means that only crops which are "overwriten" by the new crop are replaced.

This means that fallowing the next season before it happens should save current crops.
Be back when I try it.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:54 pm »

Appears to only be triggered with minor leg injuries resulting in "Stand Impaired". Foot smashed open appears to be one of the triggering injuries.

Thank you for the additional information.  Not a bug, but noted at the end as there is generally confusion over this.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2011, 07:37:19 pm »

Wall grates seem to act similar to fortifications, in that creatures can be pushed through them by flowing water.  Floor grates let water through without letting creatures through.

Thank you for the additional information.  Not a bug, but noted at the end as there is generally confusion over this.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10