Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27513 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2010, 10:59:18 am »

If you designate a Pit / Pond zone and remove the Pit / Pond zone while a Dwarf is carrying water in a bucket to the Pit / Pond zone, the water in the bucket becomes stagnant water.  This adds Grime to the bucket and makes it unusable.

- No solution.

If you (f)orbid the liquid in a barrel, but tell your dwarves to bring the barrel to a trade depot, the liquid will be dumped on the ground and the barrel brought to trade.

This might work for the bucket too, though it's so roundabout I honestly can't imagine someone bothering for a simple bucket.

What I do to clear out partial buckets is to forbid all empty buckets, set up a channel off to a map edge fortification, then designate a pond over the channel.  The dwarves will use the partially full buckets and dump the contents, once a bucket has been emptied I forbid it, repeating until all empty buckets are forbidden, then I de-activate the pond and claim the buckets.  So far it has worked well for me.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2010, 01:33:38 pm »

If you designate a Pit / Pond zone and remove the Pit / Pond zone while a Dwarf is carrying water in a bucket to the Pit / Pond zone, the water in the bucket becomes stagnant water.  This adds Grime to the bucket and makes it unusable.

- No solution.

If you (f)orbid the liquid in a barrel, but tell your dwarves to bring the barrel to a trade depot, the liquid will be dumped on the ground and the barrel brought to trade.

This might work for the bucket too, though it's so roundabout I honestly can't imagine someone bothering for a simple bucket.
Milking also works, dwarves will dump the water out before filling it with milk.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »

When making lye, Dwarves sometimes use buckets already containing water.  This results in an unusable bucket that contains both lye and water.  Dwarves will sometimes transfer the mixture to a barrel, rendering the barrel unusable instead.

- Wait for a caravan.  Order the unusable bucket or barrel brought to the Trade Depot and then cancel the order.  In the process, the water in the bucket or barrel will disappear, leaving only lye.  Thereafter, simply move the bucket or barrel back to a stockpile.  Alternatively, Dwarves assigned to milk creatures at a Farmer's Workshop will empty the buckets they pick up before using them.  Just make sure the unusable bucket is in a stockpile beside the Farmer's Workshop.

The milking workaround is not working for me in .19.  I have a crapload of animals, and two farmers' workshops set up by the pasture.  I dumped the bucket containing water+lye in the hallway just outside the workshops.  I unforbade it.  When I schedule milking jobs, I get "Urist McMilker cancels Milk Creature: Need empty bucket."

This is freakin' ridiculous.  I'm just going to atom smash the damned bucket.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2011, 12:58:15 pm »

I atom smashed my DF install, instead.
To manny bugz.  Noting werk rite.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

As long as I'm here...

Problem: Shearing gives "No creature" despite multiple creatures ready for shearing

Workaround: Some people have reported sporadic success by deconstructing all farmers' workshops and then building a new one.  This definitely does not fix the problem consistently.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2011, 03:14:53 pm »

Maltay, please update first post.
Thanks.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2011, 04:23:50 pm »

Soap stored outside a hospital will cause job cancellation spam as Dwarves try to use the soap to clean themselves and get confused.

- Only store soap in hospitals.  Otherwise, forbid the soap.

You can also force a dwarf to wash itself off by building a Dwarven Bathtub at the front of a dead-end hallway with a lever (or two, or three, or more...) at the end.  Assign the lever to whichever dwarf is spamming you, then order it pulled.  That dwarf will wander through the water in the bathtub to get to the lever, cleaning itself.  I don't know what it does for infection rates, but I know for a fact that they stop spamming you after that.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:45 pm »

Posting to watch thread.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2011, 09:35:35 pm »

This thread is depressing. I was all excited about the coming vampires etc. and had started digging out a new fort, but then saw this thread and got reminded of all the annoying kludgery that made me stop playing last time =(.

I mean, good thread, but geesh. Some of those bugs have to be, what, a year old? Six months at least?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »

To update the thread, the outpost liason not assigning a Baron, random glass sharpness, unusable gypsum powder spam, underground farms needing mud on soil, and watery lye bugs seem to be fixed, if I remember correctly.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2011, 06:30:24 am »

Is the whip/lasher bug fixed yet? That's why I quit playing last time. What about the "two left gauntlets" bug with military gear?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:40:15 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:22 am »

Is the whip/lasher bug fixed yet? That's why I quit playing last time. What about the "two left gauntlets" bug with military gear?

Whips and scourges are still overpowered, but the "two left gauntlets" problem has been fixed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:07 am »

Whips and scourges are still overpowered, but the "two left gauntlets" problem has been fixed.

Whew, that's a relief. Is there any workaround for the whips bug? Maybe editing the raws somehow? Seriously, spending years of gametime to train up and equip a squad of axemen only to have them all taken out in ten frames by a lasher squad is more "fun" than I really need again =(

Morague

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sunberries
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2011, 12:58:41 pm »

You can't grow/find sunberries regardless of the biome.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2011, 01:22:16 pm »

There exists an unofficial fix for making crystal glass, but it only works with the Win32 SDL version - open "Dwarf Fortress.exe" in a hex editor and change the following bytes:
Code: [Select]
0036AE87: Change "7C B8 32 00 00 00" to "78 0F BF 47 7C 90"
0036AE9B: Change "0F BF 4F 78 85 C9" to "B9 32 00 00 00 90"

I could probably produce a patch for the Win32 Legacy version as well, but I don't believe I'd be able to patch the Linux or Mac versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10