Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Castes  (Read 443 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Castes
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:00:38 am »

hmmm i was just thinking and after reading the talks with toady i would like to see the guilds make a come back and aswell as have different religious groups and high ranking dwarfs medium and low and kinda have a rich and poor status, and the guild and religous groups can demand rooms and items and other stuff aswell and they have grudges against other groups and stuff and basically you have a bigger range and dwarfen culture.

also as a side note when the guilds were in the game what did they do? exactly cause i read a bit on them and i quite liked the idea  and how come they were taken out?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:47:59 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Casts
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:27:26 am »

Well the castes came about, in almost all cases, due to circumstances where it was someone's social status.

Some Caste systems were written in stone, usually when religious context was applied, while others had to do with wealth and ownership.

Possible laws for Caste systems could be
1) Fashion Police: Some caste systems prevent people from wearing certain clothing or require what they do. For example in Shakespeare's time, if you were a peasant it was illegal for you to wear the clothes of the wealthy (In fact plays were the exception and was one of the many reasons why they were looked down upon).
2) Property rights: Do you want to own property? Well slaves arn't allowed. As well what buisnesses your allowed to run could be based upon your status.
3) Earning higher standings: Some systems allows you to buy higher "rankings", even going as far as to buy your way into royalty, in fact in some cultures a slave who shows heroism is often allowed citizenship.
4) Mother + Father = ?: Not only could it be based on what one parent's social status was, but some societies allowed children of, for example, slaves to be considered a citizen if they are of a second or third generation.
5) Taboo: Is your caste considered taboo? Some societies taken mingling between favorable and unfavorable castes a step further and made it nearly criminal or unfathomable to do so.
6) Law differences: Are you a low caste? Well EVERYTHING is a capital offense. Are you rich and you killed a slave? Well that will cost you a pretty penny.
-This can get rather excessive too.
7) Weapon and Armor rights: Are you a Knight? no? Well then it is illegal for you to use the weapons and armor of a knight.
8) Foriegn status: Your new, how exactly are we supposed to treat you? Did you bring money?

Of course this is just simple caste systems. There are some even more complex ones.

Though from every angle I have seen a caste system in. It seems to be more of a system of oppression that only aids the cultural elite, I've rarely seen this be contradicted. Then again that is perfect as well. Most games gloss over the nonsense, or at least from our modern perspective, laws and systems at the time for a more cheery outlook. A system where the rich are practically walking on gold and the poor are in a pit of pernament despair who can only hope their future generations MAY be able to earn enough money to join the privilaged class, if EVER, is extremely interesting.

Of course I am not distinguishing between "Social Class" and "Caste" since in the way they would be used in a game they would be interchangable.

PS. Change the topic name to "Castes" not Casts, despite the fact that "Casts" is still somewhat valid.