Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Transhumanism Thread  (Read 1652 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Transhumanism Thread
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »

We've had big debates on transhumanism and the future in general in several threads now. I think a single thread is a good idea. Rational discussion please. I don't want to see flaming or claims that can't be backed up.

Now, for some content. I am a transhumanist. I believe that death is not immutable, that humanity is imperfect but can be improved, that accelerating technology is our path to the future. I believe we will be able to live indefinitely in a world shaped by nanotechnology, accompanied by virtual worlds, with artificial intelligences, natural humans, and everything in between side by side within the century pessimistically, and within 5 decades optimistically. I believe in a technological singularity. What about you?

And I would like this thread to have more of a tone along the lines of smaller details in an overall agreeing framework. There are two threads for discussing whether these things will happen, whether people will accept them, etc. Some of it is okay, but I'd prefer it if you didn't attack each other over it. Understand their point of view and leave it at that. Don't try and make someone accept your point of view as their own, that leads nowhere. Discussion like that isn't common online, but I believe in bay12.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Transhumanism Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:50:39 pm »

Really, couldn't you have put this in the transhumanism thread, or the other thread, already going? I know you want your snowflake to be seen, but join the club.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:52:02 pm »

This thread is here because the other 2 are tangents of the main topic. My view is an afterthought, I just want a centralized discussion thread.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:01:13 pm »

There's nothing I have to say about Transhumanism that I haven't said in my own thread, which begs the question of what topics and detail you want discussed here.  I'm more than welcome to host any and all detailed descriptions of particular Transhumanist theories.  I encourage, even beg for such.  But then if you're not going to post a detailed discussion of your personal particular theories in that thread, what purpose does this one serve?  Because by the tone, it sounds like the purpose is "Transhumanist Club - Members Only - No Criticism or Disagreement Please".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:38 pm »

I haven't had a chance to look at the other threads yet, so could someone give me a brief rundown of what Transhumanism is? Becouse from the sound of it, it's find way for humans to be immortal, in a matter of speaking.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:04:49 pm »

Transhumanism is an international intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to improve human mental and physical characteristics and capacities.

Wikipedia is great.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:06:04 pm »

There's nothing I have to say about Transhumanism that I haven't said in my own thread, which begs the question of what topics and detail you want discussed here.  I'm more than welcome to host any and all detailed descriptions of particular Transhumanist theories.  I encourage, even beg for such.  But then if you're not going to post a detailed discussion of your personal particular theories in that thread, what purpose does this one serve?  Because by the tone, it sounds like the purpose is "Transhumanist Club - Members Only - No Criticism or Disagreement Please".
I suppose you have a point, I just got the impression that discussion of minutia would be shot down by people disagreeing on a larger scale. If nobody finds a use for this thread, I'll lock it.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 07:06:45 pm »

Ah, basicly useing science to make us smart, faster, stronger, etc. If todays society proves true to it's nature then it will mostly be used to make people good looking and barely anything else, except for maybe weeding out 'undesireable' traits from humanity alltogether.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:09:46 pm »

I suppose you have a point, I just got the impression that discussion of minutia would be shot down by people disagreeing on a larger scale. If nobody finds a use for this thread, I'll lock it.

Well, I certainly can't guarantee that detailed descriptions won't get picked apart item by item by people.  Heck, that's exactly what detailed descriptions are for, to be dissected piecemeal.  If you're of a mind to equate explained disagreement with antagonism, then yeah, you won't want to post there.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »

If you're of a mind to equate explained disagreement with antagonism, then yeah, you won't want to post there.
I would hope I do't fall into that trap. I'll lock this.