Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Um..... What just happened?!?  (Read 1035 times)

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Um..... What just happened?!?
« on: October 19, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »

So, My fort is on its 12th year, 207 residents. I'm minding my own business when suddely I get "Urist McDoingstuff cancels job: Resting injury." So I think to myself "Hmm, thats odd, his feet are rotten. There was an FB that had a syndrome like that a few years back, but I sealed that section off and I haven't had that syndrome appear since." So, I go about my business because my doctor has it under control. All of a sudden, 3 more in rapid succession. So I zoom to the spot. It's my front entrance, and there isn't anything that causes that syndrome on the ground. And there are other dwarves walking over that exact same spot, with no issues.

Fast forward 10 minutes. Almost 50 dwarves are hospitalized, along with a few animals. The disease appears to be striking at random, regardless of whether the patient is wearing shoes or was anywhere near that spot. I've gone into full lockdown, although it isn't really necessary. Nobody has died (in fact, people are even recovering on their own). It's not even debilitating to my fort's normal routine. Nobody has even died.

So my question: What the hell just happened?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Um..... What just happened?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:53:12 pm »

A disease, perhaps?

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:21:51 pm »

Athlete's Foot?

Binamrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

What the hell just happened?

Somebody set up you the bomb FB syndrome.

In all seriousness though, perhaps the disease spreads through contact by infected dwarves? Perhaps some cave vermin have some poison and have settled in your fortress? Have you checked if there is some FB dust or whatever covering an item you are trying to haul? perhaps on their boots?

There seems to have been a lot of topics like this recently.
Also my Captain of the Guard wants a suite but I can't assign him to any object.
Nevermind, turns out her upper body was missing.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:53:12 pm »

More than likely it's gotten on something like a barrel or some clothing, or something else that people wear or that is hauled around. I suggest you look for it asap.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »

All of a sudden, 3 more in rapid succession. So I zoom to the spot. It's my front entrance, and there isn't anything that causes that syndrome on the ground. And there are other dwarves walking over that exact same spot, with no issues.

Fast forward 10 minutes. Almost 50 dwarves are hospitalized, along with a few animals. The disease appears to be striking at random, regardless of whether the patient is wearing shoes or was anywhere near that spot.

Everything else said so far applies; I just want to note how "that spot" may not matter.  Syndromes do not have to affect the target immediately.  If the front entrance is clean, then start looking to other places for where they could have picked it up: any sort of choke point or high traffic area.

For me, in my most recent fort, the answer was "the outside world during the rain."  There was poison all over the place, but only when it rained would dwarves start to suffer.  Maybe the "acid rain" bug was injuring the dwarves (I did spot at least one case of bleeding), and this allowed the poison into the bloodstream.  Maybe it washed the poison off of clothes and onto skin.  I just don't know; but when it didn't rain, infections stopped.  This repeated for almost ten years.

--Rexfelum

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:43:47 pm »

Quick update. Almost every child who caught it has "succumbed to infection" but there was no infection in the health screens. Does this statement apply to diseases too.

If it is on an item, I'm likely fucked. I have way too many stockpiled to go through them all.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:41:53 pm »

Quarantine the few favorites, flood the rest of the fort with magma, and reclaim with your favorites?
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Zhulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:06:18 am »

A FB that has either poisonous breath or deadly dust leaves behind invisible contaminants every time it uses its breath/dust attack. Even if it gets just a single one off, your dwarves will very soon track it all over the fort, leaving all barefoot dwarves and pets with rotting lower extremities.

I don't think even quarantine will work, as you won't be able to tell if the quarantined dwarves tracked the substance with them, haven't checked if the contaminants are purged by magma/flooding, if not then the only way to be completely rid of the nastyrot is to lock all your curent dwarves underground, forbid EVERYTHING and then dig out a completely separate fort with immigrants that have just arrived and haven't been anywhere near it. That worked for me.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:02 am »

A FB that has either poisonous breath or deadly dust leaves behind invisible contaminants every time it uses its breath/dust attack. Even if it gets just a single one off, your dwarves will very soon track it all over the fort, leaving all barefoot dwarves and pets with rotting lower extremities.

I don't think even quarantine will work, as you won't be able to tell if the quarantined dwarves tracked the substance with them, haven't checked if the contaminants are purged by magma/flooding, if not then the only way to be completely rid of the nastyrot is to lock all your curent dwarves underground, forbid EVERYTHING and then dig out a completely separate fort with immigrants that have just arrived and haven't been anywhere near it. That worked for me.

This seems incredibly tragic.  If you get a miner immigrant, or somehow get an uninfected pick up to the surface it would probably work, but it sounds horrible.  Or awesome.  Depends on how you feel about starting a new fort while watching your old fort crumble from disease and stagnation.  They could probably protect the new fort from sieges for awhile though.  Also I like the idea of dwarves arriving in an area where there were stories of a large fort, finding nothing, and then unknowingly building their own fort next to the lost one.

I don't know if it'd be necessary to forbid everything.  You could still let the old, sickly fort keep going for as long as they can survive with a crippled workforce.