Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dungeoneers  (Read 4908 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Minecraft: Dungeoneers
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:34 am »

This is an idea I threw out in the main minecraft thread, but that thread is huge and stuff like this gets lost so I figured I'd make a new topic for it.

Anyway, this is for the making and sharing of Dungeons and tales of our explorations through them. Mostly this is aimed at the changes made for the Halloween update, but it's pretty functional even now.

For the Dungeon Makers:
  Create a Dungeon for people to explore. The majority of it should be underground/dark. The deeper it goes, the better, since the newest version is going to have deeper areas more dangerous.
  The Dungeon should be filled with dark areas to explore as well as chests with food, equipment, and the like inside.
  Traps are welcome, of course, but there should be a good way to bypass or disarm them for a careful explorer.
  The more impressive the better, but even a simple dungeon can be fun. Remember to remove all torches as you finish areas, as we want everything dark so monsters will spawn.
  The player should start off near the dungeon entrance with a set of stone or wooden tools, a stack of torches (not necessarily a full stack), and maybe a bit of leather armor and food. Remember that we want the player exploring the dungeon, not hunting for resources before going inside. Ideally, everything they need to upgrade should be found in chests inside.
  There should be a safe house near the spawn point with stone and wood so that the player can restart quickly after death. Also, there should be an obvious trail to get to the dungeon from the spawning point.

Reminder: When the new update comes out, all torches will be replaced with Lanterns (which never go out). Torches made after that point will then go out after some amount of time. I suggest giving the adventurer a stack of the new torches and keep lanterns for safe areas and as loot found in chests.

For the Explorer
  Remember that you are exploring a dungeon. Mining and building should be limited to avoiding traps or solving puzzles. Otherwise, try to explore the dungeon as the maker intended.
  In that spirit, try exploring the dungeon with what you start with and find inside. Avoid searching for resources outside of the dungeon unless you simply can't handle the dungeon as-is.

I'm working on a basic dungeon right now. It won't be super fancy, but should be fun. I'll release it once the Halloween update comes out.

I'll also keep track of posted dungeons here in the OP.

Dungeons
  • None so far

Feel free to post screenshots of your dungeons and post your tales of adventure here as you go through them!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:52:33 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dungeoneers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:18:46 pm »

If we get any dungeon makers, I would love to try some out. I approve!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:22:08 pm »

I WANNA DO THE TRY!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:49:55 pm »

I am willing to give my services to beta test any dungeons, it is a hard and tedious job but someone has to do it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »

I have an idea, but it requires Runecraft and Redstone, and Runecraft has issues with single player while iron doors don't like MP. I have the idea though, and once I get constant access to a computer I'll hopefully be able to do it.

Dunno about the Halloween deadline, though.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 02:50:34 pm »

I will be a dungeon maker, but how do I like..send you the save?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:56:36 pm »

I would so be in on this if I had Minecraft.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:04:03 pm »

Saves are stored in .minecraft in appdata, get to it by running "%appdata%" just upload them and there you go.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:31:54 pm »

Progress on my dungeon is going well. I've got the entrance set up underneath a huge cavern section in a hillside. (This world is actually pretty awesome. I might use it more in general once the dungeon is done and released). The starting area has a decent safe house with a mine that I'll use as an introductory mini-dungeon, I think. I'm also going to put a light tower on top of the hill it's in to help orient the adventurer when he's outside.

I also have a nicely paved path leading to the dungeon, which has a monster face for the entrance. All I need to do now is dig now far enough to get redstone so it can have glowing red eyes...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:37:44 am »

So!
Minecraft.net is down from a DDOS attack. To pass the time, I decide to build a dungeon in SP.
Question: Is it alright if we use things like InvEdit? It makes the feat of their construction less impressive, but the dungeons themselves would be larger and more interesting. Also, no hunting around the bottom of the map for redstone.
I am going to assume it is, because I can't be bothered to execute my dungeon without it.
My dungeon will be the best
Long Live United Forenia!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »

I'd say the dungeon makers can use whatever tools they like. Just let people know so they can appreciate the dungeon properly.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »

Well, my dungeon is coming along nicely. I have a few more things I'd like to add in before this weekend but it should be a nice fun adventure regardless.

Anyone else actively working on a Dungeon?
Come play Mafia with us!

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:08 pm »

I'm working on one, it's going okay so far. Any tips or ideas?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 02:36:54 pm »

I think I'll make a dungeon. or tower of monsters.....
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »

I'm working on one, it's going okay so far. Any tips or ideas?

Remember to go deep. The deeper the dungeon is, the more monsters will spawn even with light.

I'm going with a tiered approach, with various levels at different depths. Mine are mostly a bunch of 3x3 rooms with doors. Sort of a classic dungeon feel. But I do have some more cave-like systems and a few 'special' areas that I made for fun. You also get better stuff the deeper you go, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when people actually try to play.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2