Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: The Transhuman Ozymandias - Realistically Creepy  (Read 10671 times)

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Transhuman Ozymandias - Realistically Creepy
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2010, 11:08:45 pm »

but the worldwide (and more local) economic situation is such that it is accessible to everyone, and people around the world are generally on more equal footing.

What is it with you and ludicrously long timeframes? I mean, the heat death of the universe was bad enough, but now you're really reaching.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2010, 11:10:54 pm »

but the worldwide (and more local) economic situation is such that it is accessible to everyone, and people around the world are generally on more equal footing.

What is it with you and ludicrously long timeframes? I mean, the heat death of the universe was bad enough, but now you're really reaching.

I wasn't the one who brought up the idea of people living forever.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2010, 11:27:48 pm »

I'll give you props on making a joke on human nature in the middle of this thread.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2010, 11:56:19 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:13:03 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2010, 11:59:25 pm »

I knew, as soon as I started reading the post, that Nikov was going to stick up for the guy.

And he did.

Someone has to stand in the name of justice. For whenever minorities or alternate lifestyles are threatened by the forces of unseemly language, there will always be a majority, mainstream do-gooder to get offened on their behalf.

Mighty Whitie Man, AWAY!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2010, 12:07:35 am »

I personally think that the notion of genetically engineering future generations to be smarter/healthier/what-have-you is something of a pipe dream, not least of all because it does jack shit for the living. We'd be better off accomplishing the significantly easier task of preventing, or more likely repairing, tissue decay and damage, ensuring functional immortality (note that such would remove a cause of death, not death itself; as some of you have so snidely remarked: "you wouldn't really be immortal because like, you could be blown up or starve to death or something lol"), and by the time that rolls around, we'd be entering a post-scarcity age anyways, were we not there already. And as a functionally immortal being living a comfortable life in a golden age where human labor is obsoleted, modifying yourself or your children would be a novelty, rather than a competitive edge, since there'd be no jobs to compete for in the first place.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2010, 12:13:52 am »

as some of you have so snidely remarked: "you wouldn't really be immortal because like, you could be blown up or starve to death or something lol")

The reason I brought that stuff up was because I felt like some people (including at least one in this thread) view functional immortality/the "singularity"/etc. as a get-out-of-death-free card, using their own philosophical/scientific pipe-dreams as a way to escape the problem of death in much the same manner as a Christian would use the promise of an afterlife.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2010, 01:03:19 am »

I've got to go with Pseudonymous' last post for the most part (human labor will never be obsoleted, though- someone will *find* something to do).
If you have machines that can advance technology at a faster rate than human scientists (including the invention of new laborer-machines (and researcher-machines for that matter)), machines that can perform any manner of physical labor faster and more efficiently than a human workforce, and even machines that can perform the role of modern service industries, what is there left to humans but a theoretical ideological advisory role?

Just because they may engage in hobbies to entertain themselves wouldn't mean their labor in such cases wasn't obsolete, any more than engaging in archery or even bowhunting means that bows aren't obsolete weapons.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:37 am »

If we have researcher-machines capable of directing the future of technology which is an avenue that humans no longer have any business in, then we have incredibly strong AI. In which case the machines are the people and the meatbags are just kept around, like a distempered cat with the run of the house.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:52 am »

we'd be entering a post-scarcity age anyways
I'm pretty sure people were saying that when they invented farming.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2010, 07:13:54 am »

Perhaps "post-scarcity" is a misnomer, but it's the only term I've ever seen applied to the complete obsolescence of human labor by machines, creating an economic situation in which nigh-limitless supply can be produced at no effective cost, due to the lack of human labor involved. At such a point, the masses are either to be killed (pants-on-head-retarded solution) or left to live in the perpetual comfort of an immortal golden age (sane solution).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:42 am »

If rich people liked sharing we wouldn't have hunger in Africa, so I think the first solution is a more likely scenario.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2010, 09:11:57 am »

Whoah! While I was getting my sleep on, this thread received an overwhelming number of replies. No matter.

Yeah, I'm mostly with Team Eagleon in this. Technological progress probably isn't going to automatically solve all mankind's problems, but it's still pretty sweet. I'm kind of assuming that in the distant future, all the current ones will eventually be solved, but this is just unfounded optimism, and not really related to technology.

Class differences can be solved right now. It's a purely organizational problem. We don't need technology for it. World hunger is trivial to solve by stabilizing population under what the current food production can support. Yet, for some reason, they remain problems. There is absolutely no theoretical reason these issues couldn't be solved overnight, and therefore no simple problem to tackle. A flock of magic flying unicorns descending from the skies is really the only solution that technological progress can offer, because the problem itself isn't technological. This is a job for politicians, not scientists. :P

Death, now, is different. You can actually do something about that. Granting life everlasting is still beyond our ken, but advancing the human lifespan a little bit further is not. We've been doing that for a long time already, and I see no reason to stop. I earnestly believe that people in the future will live longer than they do now. And that this trend of eliminating potential causes of death one by one will continue until clinical immortality is achieved, assuming that something better doesn't present itself in the meantime. It often has.

Quote from: Eagleon
But there is literally no physical law stopping us from letting every human on Earth now live until the sun dies, if we had the right tools.
Quote from: Nenjin
Yeah, there are. The very limitations you say "the right tools would fix" are the very limitations of reality itself. We could make rocks exist forever if we coated them in some magical substance that prevented wind erosion, abrading, and all the hundreds of other micro processes that contribute to decay. I know, maybe if we made a field that just stopped proton and radiological decay altogether.

No, Eagleon's right. You don't have to make rocks exist forever if you can repair them. Someone brought up Theseus' boat, which I really think is a great example. If you keep replacing parts, you can make something that is made of wood and is partially immersed in water for long periods of time last indefinitely. Is it still the same boat? Is there a point to doing this? That isn't really relevant to this. You have a boat, and it's seaworthy, and there is no physical reason it couldn't stay that way forever. We can't repair brains in the same way we can repair boats, but there is no "natural law" saying that.

Quote from: Nenjin
Technology doesn't treat reality as an inconvenient obstacle. When the bomb went off, Oppenheimer went straight to religion as his first reaction. That's, I think, the real approach technology has to take with manipulating reality. Not "oh man, god will be pissed if we do x" but "what are we fucking with? What are we unleashing? Do we have the right? Is it sensible?"

That's respect for the natural laws, even as we push the boundaries. What you talk about is so laced with contempt, it's like you've got a grudge against the fact you were born as a thing with rules you've got to play by. You act as though death is a problem that has to be solved, completely ignoring the fact that maybe, just maybe, all things are meant to die, because that's one of those rules that makes it so we even have a reality to begin with.

This attitude I really disagree with. Why should we respect the "natural laws", as you put it? If something turns out to be flat out impossible, sure, that's fine. But you don't know it's impossible before you actually try. And you SHOULD try. Striving for the impossible is not the same as toiling in vain. Should you stop designing more efficient combustion engines just because physics says that you can never have a perfectly efficient combustion engine? Are you suggesting that scientists could SUCCEED in reversing entropy, and break the universe in the process? I really don't think that is something that could be achieved purely by accident. Or at all.

And you really haven't shown yet that death would be some kind of natural inevitability. Most things in nature do that, yes, but most things in nature do a lot of silly things. And all the things that do die usually do it against their will. Humans have really been striving to live longer for most of their existence. Organizing in groups and cooperating to achieve things and endure threats lone humans could not. Discovering food sources beyond hunting. Medicine. Workplace safety regulations. Overcoming death completely is pretty much the most human thing we could do. Perhaps it is possible to transcend our human limitations and overcome our biological desire to not die, but there's going to be some evolutionary pressure against that happening on a larger scale. :P

You seriously sound like you have Stockholm syndrome for death or something.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2010, 09:26:05 am »

The sociological problems are *the* obstacle to what you want, if you haven't been reading this thread at all.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2010, 09:54:12 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:13:53 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12