Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: The Transhuman Ozymandias - Realistically Creepy  (Read 10701 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Transhuman Ozymandias - Realistically Creepy
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2010, 07:45:30 pm »

It's like drugs, and cheating, and so many other things: People are for what they claim to be against. A guy talking about how horrible abortion is usually changes his tune really fast once his daughter gets knocked up. (Or he never changes his tune, kind of like the anti-gay activists going out with rentboys.)

Using human stupidity against, well, human stupidity? Sure, why not.

But see, this is the difference.  Genetic "fixes" for Alzheimer's and scoliosis is different from experimentally modifying the neocortex.  Fixing inherent problems is a step below and far more understandable and easier to explain that trying to intentionally stretch out a mental system that's already functioning.  That's where you lose people, since you're effectively equating non-genius intelligence with a problematic disease.  I'm sure that's not your intention; I'm saying that's how it comes across, and it's a much, much harder sell.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

In the current topic, the only law of the universe involved is entropy. Aquizzar mentioned it, and I think it's necessary. He said
it's about living "forever" (per any reasonable person's definition of forever)
Living indefinitely is the goal, not necessarily living forever. Some people will want to live to and beyond the heat death of the universe, and who knows what technology will be able to do then? Escape into an alternate universe? If there is even the slightest crack in the door of a law of physics, it's engineering's job to push that door wide open. We shouldn't be thinking about what we can do, but about what a vast intelligence could do (this argument is similar to the one for FTL communication). I want do die because I don't want to live anymore, not because my body degenerates.

On another note, I dislike how medical technology only ever progresses to restoring normal functioning. Take blood substitutes. We have blood substitutes efficient enough to let you sit under your pool for an hour. But nobody ever thinks of replacing some of their blood with the substitute.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »

Yeah, the entropy/sun-death thing and so forth has been back-and-forth'ed already.  That was my point - living a billion years may be piddly in astronomical terms, but it's a lot closer to "forever" than I'd care to contemplate anyway, so that's as good as anything for me.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

Thing about the laws of physics is, there is no crack.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2010, 07:54:23 pm »

This has very little to do with the discussion at hand, but this thread has filled me with a great desire to become a unbeatable cyborg and travel through space exacting genocides on morally ambiguous aliens.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:00 pm »

Oh yes.

Can I be your wacky sidekick?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2010, 07:55:29 pm »

Cyborgs are so last week Realfighter, Bio-engineered super soldiers are all the rage now.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »

I will kill all the Bio-Engineered soldiers, leaving only the last to be my wacky side kick.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »

I recommend Asimov's The Last Question, by the way. In entropy, sure, there are no loopholes. But at least theoretically, it may be possible to escape this universe into one in an earlier stage of its evolution.

Gah, funny ninjas. Pirates, rather. I'd prefer a nanobot swarm, myself.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

You could have a cyborg with a nanobot swarm, but I guess thats not the same.
Quote from: Realmfighter
I will kill all the Bio-Engineered soldiers, leaving only the last to be my wacky side kick.
Ever notice that in games where you kill bioengineered soldiers by the truckload, you're almost always heavily modified or otherwise superhuman yourself?
Cyborg.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59:22 pm »

I recommend Asimov's The Last Question, by the way. In entropy, sure, there are no loopholes. But at least theoretically, it may be possible to escape this universe into one in an earlier stage of its evolution.

And theoretically unicorns will fly out my butt.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2010, 08:00:36 pm »

How about your kid's eyes, which will end up 20/400 just like yours did unless you alter your germ line?
As someone with 20/50 20/400 eyes, I can say that that isn't very bad. Annoying, but hardly a burden.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2010, 08:01:36 pm »

That's your master plan?  A hack short story by a chemistry teacher, whose master computer couldn't for grammatically correct error statements?  The moral of the story was mankind never finding an answer, melding into a singular supermind before merging into the Multivac collective, then sitting around in hyperspace for centuries until pulling the literal definition of a Deus Ex Machina?  And you wonder why people don't take this stuff seriously.

That was jesting by the way.  This is a touchy topic, I know.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »

Ever notice that in games where you kill bioengineered soldiers by the truckload, you're almost always heavily modified or otherwise superhuman yourself?

Name some.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:24 pm »

The only hurdle is the ooh-scary genetics business caused by lack of knowledge and too much crappy fiction

Are you serious? Are you disregarding the other, more serious reasons? Trying to support genetic modification by ignoring the real issues involved is just as bad as trying to oppose it by making issues up/exaggerating the ones that exist.

You're right about "lack of knowledge", but in more ways than you think. It's not just the general public being misinformed, it's the fact that genetics is still a very young science. It's not nearly as ideal as you'd think it is from learning about it in high school biology class, a lot of things simply aren't understood about it, and it would be flat-out irresponsible to start widespread human experimentation on the genetic level at this stage.

This isn't even considering the social and ethical problems. Genetic engineering technology is not well-regulated like more established technologies are, and people (yourself included, apparently) seem to disregard the social/economic questions involved when considering the possibility of genetic modification being available on the free market (Do you actually want to see the upper classes, or indeed entire nations, become genetically superior to others? Do we really need that?). There are a lot of legitimate concerns regarding genetic modification to human beings, or even genetic screening, for that matter. It's nothing to dismiss out of hand simply because the technology has potential. People have done that with new science/tech in the past, and it has caused problems.

Some people will want to live to and beyond the heat death of the universe, and who knows what technology will be able to do then? Escape into an alternate universe? If there is even the slightest crack in the door of a law of physics, it's engineering's job to push that door wide open. We shouldn't be thinking about what we can do, but about what a vast intelligence could do (this argument is similar to the one for FTL communication). I want do die because I don't want to live anymore, not because my body degenerates.

If you're going to bring breaking the laws of physics into the argument, then there's no more argument, because you're engaging in totally hypothetical and baseless speculation by providing absolutely no limits to what you think might happen. Sure, maybe we're wrong about the laws of the universe, and maybe entropy doesn't work the way we think it does. Or maybe there's a God and an afterlife. Or unicorns. Or a giant disembodied head that swallows us up and reincarnates us as unicorns. When you start essentially pulling stuff out of your ass like this, it doesn't make for good debate, and it's fruitless to talk about.

We have blood substitutes efficient enough to let you sit under your pool for an hour. But nobody ever thinks of replacing some of their blood with the substitute.

• Definitely going to need a source on that.
  • Even if that's true, is it as good as human blood as other things? Hell, it doesn't even make sense to "replace" human blood; blood does many more things than carry oxygen. Even if it only replaces that function, what side effects does it have? What would its long-term effects be? And so on.

No, it's not. That's not theoretically possible. In fact, it's pretty explicitly impossible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12