Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hospital Design?  (Read 14505 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital Design?
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:32 pm »

Thankfully I haven't had to do some serious use with hospitals [which is good since they seem to be slightly buggy still] but that means I haven't had time to work on the design.  Right now it's a room with 12 beds, 4 tables, 10 traction benches, and 14 chests.  Is this a good ratio of furniture to each other and would it be adequate for 60-80 dwarves?  [I somehow doubt that last part.  Fortress got large past, was only planning for half that].

I also hear about invalids and cripples who never seem to recover.  Do they occur frequently?  Will they fill up a hospital quickly?  If so, is it possible to designate a second hospital elsewhere, un-designate the first one, and move them?  Given the current location it would be nigh-impossible to do any euthenasia.
Cage traps are my magma.

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital Design?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »

You'll need tables right next to all your beds, as well as traction benches AFAIK.

Any dwarves with missing legs or spinal problems will most likely spend the rest of their lives in the hospital. If they dont die to infection
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:40:58 pm »

I build my beds at the end of 1x3 rooms that are attached to the main hospital lobby.  That way any patients that are unable to recover can be locked away to die in peace.

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:44:04 pm »

A better name for hospital: death chamber.

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 06:51:53 pm »

I build my beds at the end of 1x3 rooms that are attached to the main hospital lobby.  That way any patients that are unable to recover can be locked away to die in peace.

That is a GREAT idea. I wish I'd thought of that.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »

That is a GREAT idea. I wish I'd thought of that.

Incidentally, it also helps contain miasma from rotting body parts.  Stupid invisible forgotten beast-spawned athlete's foot of DOOM.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:16:55 pm »

Hm... alright, so switch from a barracks hospital like M*A*S*H to a more classic individual rooms hospital.  So... I'll need a bed with a traction bench and a table on either side of it?  And then a central storeroom full of chests of supplies for the hospital?

How do I transfer permanent invalids from one hospital bed to another, or even a different area?  If a dwarf has served me well, I don't mind sparing a little food, water, and manpower to give him a nice room to "retire" in.  Well, that and maybe bait to lure enemies through trapped hallways and into ambushes.
Cage traps are my magma.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:38:13 pm »

Could you designate one hospital over multiple Z levels? I'd love to keep "doomed" patients in little holes under hatches.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »

I'll generally either dig out a well and build a hospital around it, or the other way around.

build little 2x2 room with a bed next to a table next to the door. Traction bench also next to the bed on the side. door can easily be locked for getting rid of undesirables.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:24:47 pm »

These are all great suggestions and ideas, but still I'd like to know if someone has found out how to move crippled patients do a different room without, y'know, killing them first.
Cage traps are my magma.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »

deconstruct the bed, and forbid all unoccupied beds besides the one you want them to occupy.  Repeat for all invalids.  Assign one of these invalids to be the sheriff/fortress guard (IIRC) also, give them an aluminum/cotton candy warhammer.  :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 05:56:56 am »

These are all great suggestions and ideas, but still I'd like to know if someone has found out how to move crippled patients do a different room without, y'know, killing them first.

You're getting way too sentimental to be playing DF...  ;D
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:04:32 pm »

A better name for hospital: death chamber.

Yes. And true to this, I have, of course to maximise effeciency, added my burial chamber right outside my hospital ^^ .
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »

Uh, is there any way to make such an epic hospital that the death rate is actually not quite so high?  Either by some miracle of design and/or micromanagement?  [like disabling all medical skills other then diagnosing and cleaning until wounds are diagnosed and cleaned, then turning on surgery and bonesetting, and finally suturing?]
Cage traps are my magma.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 04:16:42 am »

Each bed is next to an operating table and a traction bench.
Pages: [1] 2