Gah, can't restart this D:

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 05, 2010, 09:56:20 pm

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 94

Author Topic: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: INSERT PHOENIX ANALOGY HERE  (Read 141138 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: Tough Decisions Ahead!
« Reply #465 on: November 17, 2010, 04:41:21 pm »

Maybe the memory leak is draining down the transdimensional holes on the map that are south west of the quarry. More west than south, but you can see them on the server map on the site.
...The hell?
@Garanis: Looks cool and extremely useful :) Still want a more local minimap though.
MinecraftAM
I did try MinecraftAM for a bit and there is no way to zoom out of you don't have a mouse wheel (or an option setting for it)
You can't even play Minecraft (well) without a mouse wheel.  Irrelevant.
the view window shows a view that is smaller than my actual vision ingame. While that is useful when looking close up or searching for minerals, not so useful when exploring or trying to visualize a large area. Also, the z-level function doesn't work too well.
It would be bigger if you zoomed out.  You're not going to find a better MINImap for that purpose, as SimpleMap and the other ingame one show a significantly smaller area then even that.

Also, would you please stop sending me PMs for every single little thing?  I really don't need to know that you found the corrupted chunks on the map, because I did that before you even got to see the maps in the first place.
A solution that would keep everyone happy is to keep the infinte map, but have some server script which would auto-teleport people back to a "legal" chunk if they go beyond a set limit of the spawn point (say, 100 or 300 chunks on all four directions). It'd set a limit on the map size since no one can get beyond that distance, and if we eventually needed extra space the size limit could be increased.
How is that even...  What?  The map being bigger does nothing to anything, apart from requiring more RAM on the computer doing the map renders.
While what you propose is possible via a hMod plugin already, there's still no reason for it.

@Gara-nis: Have you run any scale tests?  The Jaycraft world is about 100x that size...

The crashes are being caused by a memory leak in the clock-signs.
So, there they go.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: No Map Reset Yet!
« Reply #466 on: November 17, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »

@Gara-nis: Have you run any scale tests?  The Jaycraft world is about 100x that size...

You mean the bandwidth tests? I ran the bandwidth tests on both my server and jaycraft, and results were approximately the same.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:07 pm »

Maybe the memory leak is draining down the transdimensional holes on the map that are south west of the quarry. More west than south, but you can see them on the server map on the site.
...The hell?

I was making a joke :P and by server map, I mean this page: http://jaybud.com/Maps.php

Also, would you please stop sending me PMs for every single little thing?  I really don't need to know that you found the corrupted chunks on the map, because I did that before you even got to see the maps in the first place.

Okay I'll stop with the PMs.

As for the mouse wheel thing, I meant in the MinecraftAM application, not in minecraft.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:10:11 pm by smjjames »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »

You can't even play Minecraft (well) without a mouse wheel.

Wait. Mousewheel? What does that do?

Edit: oh wait, changing what you're holding. Right.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2010, 05:10:53 pm »

All those years of playing Doom and MMOs where you have to be quick pressing 1 to 0 on your keyboard really pay off when you don't have a mouse wheel.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2010, 05:12:12 pm »

Yeah, I use my number keys... WoW habits die hard.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 17, 2010, 05:12:57 pm »

You can't even play Minecraft (well) without a mouse wheel.

Wait. Mousewheel? What does that do?

Edit: oh wait, changing what you're holding. Right.

Which has nothing to do with my origional statement about the mousewheel. In fact, I can do the inventory thing fine without the mousewheel.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #472 on: November 17, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »

How is that even...  What?  The map being bigger does nothing to anything, apart from requiring more RAM on the computer doing the map renders.
While what you propose is possible via a hMod plugin already, there's still no reason for it.

People were spazzing a page back about limiting map size. I tried doing a conciliatory proposal. Now you said map size doesn't matter much, hence case settled.  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 17, 2010, 05:16:34 pm »

and by server map, I mean this page: http://jaybud.com/Maps.php
Okay, now I know you're trying to get on my nerves on purpose.

I wrote that entire site, from scratch, on my own (except for the various PHP scripts for the iConomy balance indicator, the automated userlist, and the online indicator; those were all collaboration between Soulwynd, Tylui, and myself).  Do you honestly think I don't know what you meant?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 17, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »

and by server map, I mean this page: http://jaybud.com/Maps.php
Okay, now I know you're trying to get on my nerves on purpose.

I wrote that entire site, from scratch, on my own (except for the various PHP scripts for the iConomy balance indicator, the automated userlist, and the online indicator; those were all collaboration between Soulwynd, Tylui, and myself).  Do you honestly think I don't know what you meant?

Chill would ya! I didn't mean to get on your nerves on purpose or otherwise, and I wasn't sure if you got what I meant since you missed my joke apparently.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 17, 2010, 05:31:01 pm »

Hm...interesting how the corruption seems to be heaviest around the quarry and spawn.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 17, 2010, 05:37:03 pm »

Hm...interesting how the corruption seems to be heaviest around the quarry and spawn.

Indeed.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 17, 2010, 05:39:20 pm »

You do know that there's a whole zone 1.5 as big as the guestzone missing towards the east of the guestzone?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 17, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »

You do know that there's a whole zone 1.5 as big as the guestzone missing towards the east of the guestzone?

Aand this is why is should be looking at the map.

-_-

Those areas are talked about the most though.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 17, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »

You understand that the areas that were reset are only ones that were modified in some way between sometime after 20:00 PST on the 14th and before 12:30 PST on the 15th, right?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 94