Gah, can't restart this D:

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 05, 2010, 09:56:20 pm

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 94

Author Topic: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: INSERT PHOENIX ANALOGY HERE  (Read 141135 times)

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: Tough Decisions Ahead!
« Reply #450 on: November 17, 2010, 11:02:14 am »

It adds overhead to the following:

World save
Map generation
Backups

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #451 on: November 17, 2010, 11:05:09 am »

Does any of those actually cost a palpable ammount of money? Bandwith seems to be the biggest problem, but HD space or server saving wize it doesn't seem to be a catastrophe (so long no server bugs suddenly create 15GB of data)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 17, 2010, 11:11:48 am »

Yeah... I can't even load the isometric maps in Opera or Firefox, probably because the bloody thing's nearly 1020 megs in size. Part of that's the ridiculous resolution on the thing (20800x10656!?), but that bloody useless loop innit helping anything.

Anyway, there's a lot of empty space on the map as is, so I dinnae think we're exactly squished up against each other -- there's multiple areas the size of the thicket that's completely untouched. Push comes to shove, get someone capable to cuboid a plot of flat land for yeh in one of the inbetween spots.

Getting the map up to a decent size is fine, but exploration for exploration's sake (Loop! *shakes fist*) is probably something to be left to single player, yanno'?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #453 on: November 17, 2010, 11:16:50 am »

Ummm... Apart from having to put a proper large bitmap navigator to handle the map (google maps applet does fine for instance) I still don't get why would the southern loop be so harmful to server performance.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 17, 2010, 11:22:17 am »

I don't have numbers, but it was my impression that that much space adds a non-negligible amount to the map file size and the time it takes to do the world save. 
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #455 on: November 17, 2010, 11:23:52 am »

Current map is some 170MB I think. Do some math and you'll see that the extra size the loop adds is quite negligible on the total.

A solution that would keep everyone happy is to keep the infinte map, but have some server script which would auto-teleport people back to a "legal" chunk if they go beyond a set limit of the spawn point (say, 100 or 300 chunks on all four directions). It'd set a limit on the map size since no one can get beyond that distance, and if we eventually needed extra space the size limit could be increased.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:25:47 am by Djohaal »

Also, tadpoles.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 17, 2010, 11:32:42 am »

Oh, and I can't seem to connect.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:32 am »

The website says the server is offline, been that way since around or before 7 this morning. Basically over a hour and a half, or more than two hours. It was like that when I first tried to get on this morning, so I don't know how long it has actually been offline.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 17, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »

it's been offline since about midnight EST

In other news, I'm currently working on a way to generate tiles and a google maps viewer for the c10t maps. It's going quite well.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »

Server's up again. Sorry folks. I'm guessing that there is some plugin that is not playing nicely with everything, occasionally halting the server and all that. Also, there is a memory leak in the server software that seems to be accelerating!

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2010, 12:26:06 pm »

Welp, I've done it.

Using a utility called gdal2tiles, I made this:

http://games.ques.to/c10t/map-normal/openlayers.html
Instead of downloading the whole massive 2.5 meg image file, the app just downloads what you want to look closely at.

UPDATE: It renders my whole set of maps and viewers in about 2 minutes.
http://games.ques.to/c10t
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:54:45 pm by Gara-nis »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2010, 12:49:12 pm »

Oh hey look you can see my giant chrono trigger.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 17, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »

Oh hey look you can see my giant chrono trigger.

of course you can -- its massive...

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #463 on: November 17, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »

that map browser is exactly what jaybud needs :o

And now I'm alone on the server. I feel autistic.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:54:44 pm by Djohaal »

Also, tadpoles.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2010, 02:59:02 pm »

Server's up again. Sorry folks. I'm guessing that there is some plugin that is not playing nicely with everything, occasionally halting the server and all that. Also, there is a memory leak in the server software that seems to be accelerating!

Maybe the memory leak is draining down the transdimensional holes on the map that are south west of the quarry. More west than south, but you can see them on the server map on the site.

@Garanis: Looks cool and extremely useful :) Still want a more local minimap though.

@Djohaal: I'm at school atm, so...

As far as minimaps go, which one is better, MinecraftAM or the other one that is on the same site? Or a different one?

I did try MinecraftAM for a bit and there is no way to zoom out of you don't have a mouse wheel (or an option setting for it), the view window shows a view that is smaller than my actual vision ingame. While that is useful when looking close up or searching for minerals, not so useful when exploring or trying to visualize a large area. Also, the z-level function doesn't work too well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:14:01 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 94