Gah, can't restart this D:

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 05, 2010, 09:56:20 pm

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 94

Author Topic: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: INSERT PHOENIX ANALOGY HERE  (Read 141123 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: Carts For Everyone!
« Reply #390 on: November 16, 2010, 11:56:33 am »

Re: Duke:
Based on what I've seen, your inverted bell is entirely untouched. There might be a random corner that's reverted but it still looks fine.
Checked it out myself. It's fine. It seems the reversion strips missed the island completely. I would like to see a map render to track just how the corrupted chunks effected the landscape and see any pattern to them.
 I might be pro-reset if I can re-design this thing so people won't keep calling it an inverted-bell-thing,
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jaycraft Minecraft Server: Tough Decisions Ahead!
« Reply #391 on: November 16, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »

Just a question for Jay/Tylui. Is the current map stable? Will going to a new map fix anything or just reset it so everyone has to start over?

It would be the same in terms of stability.

Including or excluding the current problems in terms of stability?

Also, theres definetly something going on with the server as I still can't connect.

Trifle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:19 pm »

Including or excluding the current problems in terms of stability?

Also, theres definetly something going on with the server as I still can't connect.

Yeah, I can't connect either.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 16, 2010, 01:10:47 pm »

I was able to connect fine a little bit ago, but now I'm having problems again. I'm pretty sick of this VPS provider. They suck, and are wildly unhelpful. If only I could afford a T1 line at my house. :P

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 16, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »

I might get a Mac mini soon (my first foray into Apple computers) and if 8Mbits down 1Mbit up is nice I might be able to host. Probs not, but it's in the air.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 16, 2010, 01:15:49 pm »

No, I had a bit better than that when I had JayCraft at my house(before I got the VPS), and it was wildly laggy when more than 3 people were on.

Anyway, server's up again... Hope nothing got messed up...!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 16, 2010, 01:34:55 pm »

I was thinking about turning my island into a memorial and moving my ship elsewhere. Can the folks who lost things please make designs for scale models of what they lost?

I'll post my designs for the memorial itself soon - I need a break from my ship as it is.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »

I could go either way with a reset, it would be nice to be able to trim some of the map bloat we've got right now, and a lot of the time its easier mentally to start fresh rather than rebuild.  On the other hand, there are some cool things that people put work into that aren't destroyed, and it would be unfortunate to leave that stuff behind. 

I'm personally in both camps, I lost half the quarry and the crane, but the thicket castle and the wooden bridge were missed.  I would be OK with a new map, but i'm not demanding that we do it.  I think the burden of the decision would be primarily on those who didn't lose thier stuff.  One thing about the map as is, is you'll likely have a bunch of chopped up buildings and projects laying around that people were too demotivated to rebuild.  This makes me lean slightly towards a clean map i guess.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Nome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:21 pm »

It looks like I'm one of the few who didn't loose anything on the 15th.  Still, with so many others having lost stuff, I'm up for a server reset.

This is just a suggestion, but maybe we should disable cuboid on the new map (except for the /protect commands).  It seems to be directly responsible for all the current map problems.  Also, and maybe this is just me, but it kind of sucks when you put a lot of effort into finishing a big project only to have it completely dwarfed (no pun intended) and outdone by a giant cuboid construction in about 5 minutes.  I just think there's something special about the projects people build the old-fashioned way.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 16, 2010, 01:53:41 pm »

It looks like I'm one of the few who didn't loose anything on the 15th.  Still, with so many others having lost stuff, I'm up for a server reset.

This is just a suggestion, but maybe we should disable cuboid on the new map (except for the /protect commands).  It seems to be directly responsible for all the current map problems.  Also, and maybe this is just me, but it kind of sucks when you put a lot of effort into finishing a big project only to have it completely dwarfed (no pun intended) and outdone by a giant cuboid construction in about 5 minutes.  I just think there's something special about the projects people build the old-fashioned way.

I'm pretty sure it's not responsible for the map corruption (the VPS) or the connection problems (the VPS).

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

Yes, he's correct. Cuboid is NOT TO BLAME for any lost work.

If I knew I could rely a little more heavily on donations, I would be able to procure a beefier, more reliable server...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:07 pm »

A VPS again?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »

The fact that it's a VPS has nothing to do with these problems.
We ran out of hard drive space due to the backups (lol) and so the game was unable to save chunks, causing this widespread reset as it tried to save and failed.
The fact that it's a relatively low-end VPS is to blame, sure, but the VPS category entirely?  Not in the slightest.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:58 pm »

Add a script to delete old backups?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 16, 2010, 03:57:32 pm »

The fact that it's a VPS has nothing to do with these problems.
We ran out of hard drive space due to the backups (lol) and so the game was unable to save chunks, causing this widespread reset as it tried to save and failed.
The fact that it's a relatively low-end VPS is to blame, sure, but the VPS category entirely?  Not in the slightest.

It would benefit from being a physical server though, as apparently the current VPS has lousy support and there's no knowinig how the next one will be.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 94