Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have some questions!  (Read 863 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have some questions!
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:52:00 am »

Lemme type these up before work. I'll probably forget something but, eh.

1. What does weapon size really do? I assume it has something to do with a weapon is too large, then you can't use it. Is there a way to use a weapon in spite of being 'too small', such as having high strength, or is size the only factor?

2. On the topic of 'size', what determines how fat a race turns out to be? In my own mod race I'd kind of want to eliminate the huge fatness because... it... doesn't fit. Not dorfs.

3. Is there a way to keep Dwarves as a race, that sends a caravan in the normal time, but NOT have them playable? Or is this hardcoded that your home race sends the caravan in Autumn?

4. Is there a way to tweak it so a race say, drinks alcohol more often, or parties more often? Again on my custom race I'm trying to make them less carbon copies of Dorfs, but I need something to balance out any strengths they gain.

5. How difficult is it to add a new reaction to make a new kind of weapon/armor? The most modding I've done so far is successfully added in the race, used the right graphics, and changed a single noble title slightly.

I'll probably remember more at work. All for now I guess!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have some questions!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

1. What does weapon size really do? I assume it has something to do with a weapon is too large, then you can't use it. Is there a way to use a weapon in spite of being 'too small', such as having high strength, or is size the only factor?

This is what MINIMUM_SIZE and TWO_HANDED are for, not SIZE. I can only presume that SIZE itself affects mass. People have reported that certain dwarfs have been able to use halberds (which are typically too large for them), but I'm unsure as to which attribute is the actual cause of this.

2. On the topic of 'size', what determines how fat a race turns out to be? In my own mod race I'd kind of want to eliminate the huge fatness because... it... doesn't fit. Not dorfs.

Quote from: tissue_template_default.txt
[TISSUE_TEMPLATE:FAT_TEMPLATE]
    [TISSUE_NAME:fat:NP]
    [THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE]
    [SCARS]
    [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FAT]
    [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
    [HEALING_RATE:100]
    [VASCULAR:3]
    [PAIN_RECEPTORS:5]
    [CONNECTS]
    [INSULATION:100]
    [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

That's the only thing as far as I know.

3. Is there a way to keep Dwarves as a race, that sends a caravan in the normal time, but NOT have them playable? Or is this hardcoded that your home race sends the caravan in Autumn?

Quote from: entity_default.txt
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
    [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]

You should already know that the CIV_CONTROLLABLE tag controls whether a race is playable or not.

4. Is there a way to tweak it so a race say, drinks alcohol more often, or parties more often? Again on my custom race I'm trying to make them less carbon copies of Dorfs, but I need something to balance out any strengths they gain.

You can adjust their personality ranges.

5. How difficult is it to add a new reaction to make a new kind of weapon/armor?

Very easy, but why would you want to do this via reactions?

Zanethda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:42:58 am »

In regards to the weapon size, I got bored and wrote a silly JavaScript based thing that will quickly show you whether a race can use a given weapon and if it's wielded with one or two hands.
http://gavsim.dreamhosters.com/misc/df/utils/raceweapsize/

(If you want to modify the races/weapons this dumb thing has, here is a download)
On the item is an image of Ngom Fishsin the goblin and a alligator in mountain goat leather. The alligator is striking down Ngom Fishsin. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Ngom Fishsin by a alligator in Crueljoy in The Mechanical Spine in the late autumn of 11 during Kaguskok, "The Crazy Assault".

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:52:43 am »

5. How difficult is it to add a new reaction to make a new kind of weapon/armor?

Very easy, but why would you want to do this via reactions?

To clarify, all you need to do is add a [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_whatever] or [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_whatever:COMMON] token to the entity definitions, using the appropriate item ID (as you defined it in item_weapon.txt or item_armor.txt or wherever) and you'll be able to make them at forges just like anything else. Ranged weapons will also automatically become available at the Bowyer's workshop, and any permitted ammo types will also be allowed to be made from wood or bone at a Craftsdwarf's workshop.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »

This is what MINIMUM_SIZE and TWO_HANDED are for, not SIZE. I can only presume that SIZE itself affects mass. People have reported that certain dwarfs have been able to use halberds (which are typically too large for them), but I'm unsure as to which attribute is the actual cause of this.

It may be related to this:
Code: [Select]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]

These body modifiers give individual dwarves different characteristics. [b] In the case of HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH, the modifier is also a percentage change to the BODY_SIZE of the individual creature.[/b]  The seven numbers afterward give a distribution of ranges.  Each interval has an equal chance of occurring.

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
Default halberd minimum size is 62500, so I guess fairly beefy dwarves can use them.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 02:26:29 pm »

Aha. That'll be it, then. Good to know...

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:29:52 pm »

Hooray, responses!
I wasn't aware it was as easy as Quietust said to add in new things. I thought you had to do it via reactions or something. That makes it a lot easier.

Also wasn't aware all I had to do for Dwarves was remove the playable tag... since I copy/pasted Dwarves (and did some renaming), I'd need to remove the [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] token on the custom race? I'm not even sure if it's there or not.

Also I've seen it mentioned, and it's probably not too hard to find but in the interest of me just asking... you can tweak a race's female:male ratio correct?

EDIT:
Hmmm, is it possible to change what 'decorations' a race likes? Such as dwarves love to put spikes on everything. Can I make a custom race prefer something else? I'm pretty sure I saw something like [SPIKES] and [RINGS] in the dwarf raws, but I'm not sure where to find a list of tokens that would work.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:59:08 pm by krisslanza »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »

since I copy/pasted Dwarves (and did some renaming), I'd need to remove the [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] token on the custom race? I'm not even sure if it's there or not.

Not necessarily, but if you're wanting trade caravans from both, you'd be better off changing either one or the other. It's less of an issue if one civ is an invader and the other a trade partner as they don't overlap as much in that case.

Also I've seen it mentioned, and it's probably not too hard to find but in the interest of me just asking... you can tweak a race's female:male ratio correct?

Yes, via the POP_RATIO tag applied to a specific caste.

EDIT:
Hmmm, is it possible to change what 'decorations' a race likes? Such as dwarves love to put spikes on everything. Can I make a custom race prefer something else? I'm pretty sure I saw something like [SPIKES] and [RINGS] in the dwarf raws, but I'm not sure where to find a list of tokens that would work.

See "ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER" on this page.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:05:15 pm »

I'd rather just have the dwarf caravan come and none from the home race. If I could, I wouldn't even want it to have cities - except I think this makes it unplayable, what with no source of immigrants and all...

Is the penalty associated with not drinking booze hardcoded? I can't seem to find a value behind it anywhere.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:17:23 pm »

The booze penalty applies only to creatures with ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:24:20 pm »

The booze penalty applies only to creatures with ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT.

Sorry poor wording, I meant to say I can't change the penalty that comes with not drinking alcohol. i.e. making it more strict on this custom race

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:39 pm »

No, but as I suggested previously, you might be able to make the species more susceptible to stress in general through personality modifications. I think that works, at least.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:34:54 pm »

No, but as I suggested previously, you might be able to make the species more susceptible to stress in general through personality modifications. I think that works, at least.

I imagine it will not be terribly easy to test.

To add a new type of booze into the game, is it tied to the plant it is brewed from? From what I see, this seems to be the case anyway.

If there were only a way to make a race breed asexually or something...