Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 33g: Infinite water, possibly from u-bend, flooding a si  (Read 749 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
33g: Infinite water, possibly from u-bend, flooding a si
« on: January 17, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Unfortunately I didn't retain any saves from before the flooding, so some backstory:

I had tunneled into a mountain lake from below, to get water from my well - all other sources had dried up. The lake was level with my main fort, so I built an access tunnel for the digging from two levels above - pressure forced water up one of those levels. I also dug another level down just to the right of this access - my well was fed through this tunnel. Obviously it would've flooded, thus there was a floodgate to cut off the water supply.

After I finally dug into the lake, this happened:

• My miner ran for his life, ahead of surging water
  • A giant toad got sucked in and got bruised - yay!
  • Water surged *even faster* through the lowest tunnel, into the tiny well chamber, and out of the well
  • I pulled a lever, dropping the floodgate and stopping the flood. It dried up fairly quickly.

So far, so good, but the seeds of disaster had apparently already been laid. I don't know if this would have happened had I stopped touching it, but regardless, a little later I decided to drain the well chamber (by digging into it from the side) and install a pressure plate to control the floodgate. Thus:

• Drain channel was dug. Well drained.
  • Pressure plate installed, but the floodgate was still underwater - odd, since the water there *should* have been forced into the well chamber by pressure; moreover, there was still a 7/7 square on the stairway above the floodgate.
  • Time passed. Not much time, but some. Eventually, and apparently spontaneously, the well chamber started flooding again - and didn't stop, flooding my kitchen too but not flowin upwards.
  • I saved, copied the save, then made a movie of my various attempts to fix it - the last one successful.

You can find the savegame and (long) movie at  http://brage.info/~svein/df/ .

Although I successfully stopped the flood, I'll be reverting to the save to see if I can figure out exactly what caused it, and what stopped it. I'll be replying here if I do.

C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: 33g: Infinite water, possibly from u-bend, flooding a si
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

So in this save is there an ongoing infinite flood?  Or has it stopped?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:12:00 am »

It's still flooding in the save. The flood has no pressure, so it doesn't go upstairs, but if you mine into it from the side you still get infinite water.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll check it out when I do my other infinite flow saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!