Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big but most likely impossible idea I just had.  (Read 1167 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Big but most likely impossible idea I just had.
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:23:42 pm »

What if you could add in a custom biome token like [good] or [evil]?

I just thought of [anomalous].  Who wants to bring the world of STALKER to DF?  Naturally occurring extremely lethal traps that randomly appear and disappear everywhere [including underground and possibly in your fort], weird mutant monsters, emissions, bandits out ze arse, and naturally occuring artifacts?
Cage traps are my magma.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Big but most likely impossible idea I just had.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:25:53 pm »

are you implying the spawning of these biomes? creatures would be easy to code in just by adding their favorite biome.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:28:54 pm »

well that.  And the game procedurally generating traps on its own and then cleaning them up after awhile.  But yeah it would require a whole new [anomalous] token added like [good] or [evil].
Cage traps are my magma.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:31:21 pm »

there are [good] and [evil] tags. i  have never seen traps in adventure mode so i can't help you with that.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »

And the game procedurally generating traps on its own and then cleaning them up after awhile

Utterly impossible, unless they're just really abstract creatures.

What if you could add in a custom biome token like [good] or [evil]?

Can't be done. But I suggest you read on anyway.

You'll be stuck with the "good" and "evil" descriptors, but you'd do well to remember that there's nothing which makes GOOD areas implicitly tame, and EVIL ones dangerous. One of the things I do a lot when adding new creatures is make dangerous GOOD and BENIGN ones as well as SAVAGE and EVIL ones. You've got a few vectors to play around with for extra diversity.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

Well, yeah it would be awesome for adventure mode but possibly also for fortress mode.  Although the novelty of it might wear off extremely quickly when the micromanaging of re-routing through the fortress and such becomes intolerable as anomalies form within.

And I don't think anyone would be able to fan-mod in emissions but anything caught outside that isn't a mutant = dead.  At least you wouldn't have to worry about goblin seiges anymore.  Just huge mutant seiges.
Cage traps are my magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »

What you're trying to do here is mostly impossible. At the moment.

However, at some point the GOOD and EVIL region things are going to be expanded into something much more complicated, and usually when something becomes even more complicated we usually get more modding options to go with it.

Basically instead of arbitrary "this place has unicorns, this place has zombies, this place has eyeless satyrs" designations, we'll get regions aligned to one or more spheres, like DANCE or MURDER or VALOR. These will have sphere-specific creatures (I'm almost certain you'll be able to mod creatures to show up in specific spheres), and maybe we'll see more of the Random Abomination Generator here. Also, regions might have certain effects (maybe the SWAMP OF HEALING causes your wounds to regenerate faster, or the FOREST OF MISERY has trees that bleed on you, or that GLACIER OF DEPRAVITY randomly spawns tentacle demons), which might be hardcoded for a while, but at some point you'll be able to make your little anomalies there, or something vaguely similar. Actually modding in your own sphere might not happen for a long time, though.

'course a lot of this is mostly speculation, but good/evil is definitely being expanded into spheres at some point, with associated creatures and regional effects.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:14:50 pm »

What you're trying to do here is mostly impossible. At the moment.

However, at some point the GOOD and EVIL region things are going to be expanded into something much more complicated, and usually when something becomes even more complicated we usually get more modding options to go with it.

Basically instead of arbitrary "this place has unicorns, this place has zombies, this place has eyeless satyrs" designations, we'll get regions aligned to one or more spheres, like DANCE or MURDER or VALOR. These will have sphere-specific creatures (I'm almost certain you'll be able to mod creatures to show up in specific spheres), and maybe we'll see more of the Random Abomination Generator here. Also, regions might have certain effects (maybe the SWAMP OF HEALING causes your wounds to regenerate faster, or the FOREST OF MISERY has trees that bleed on you, or that GLACIER OF DEPRAVITY randomly spawns tentacle demons), which might be hardcoded for a while, but at some point you'll be able to make your little anomalies there, or something vaguely similar. Actually modding in your own sphere might not happen for a long time, though.

'course a lot of this is mostly speculation, but good/evil is definitely being expanded into spheres at some point, with associated creatures and regional effects.

........ the awesomeness,  DOES IT EVER END!? [assuming it comes true].  Of course, this is Dwarf Fortress :p
Cage traps are my magma.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure that traps are in adventure mode, but they are turned off as default.  You can turn them on in init.txt

cool idea though, i think that when spheres come in as regional modifiers this would work.  Change and Evil would be good spheres for this.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:42:10 am »

I'm pretty sure that traps are in adventure mode, but they are turned off as default.  You can turn them on in init.txt

Firstly, that's not quite what he means. Secondly, they don't work correctly when enabled anyway.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 05:32:23 pm »

Firstly, that's not quite what he means. Secondly, they don't work correctly when enabled anyway.

sorry, that was to bloodshedder.  all i know is that it has the option to enable them, i didn't know they didn't work.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:02 pm »

If I remember correctly traps in adventure mode were actually fixed a while back. Getting caught in a cage trap still makes spaceships punch each other, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.