Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Dedicated Tech thread.  (Read 6857 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Tech thread.
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2010, 03:33:30 pm »

First, Fans are cheap and easy to get a hold of, I recommend ordering from Fry's. 

Second, a good Power supply will keep your computer running for a long time, most hardware problems result from either heat or PS failure.

I haven't built anything for 3 years so I don't know the psu brands out today.

I like Solid state hardrives but wouldn't be willing to pay for one.  Why would I want a terrabyte hd, I barely use 300 gigs, that includes all my games, music, pictures and other files. I keep the operating system on It's own 30 gig drive (nothing special, pretty cheap and slow...).

I do not build laptops... I'd love to hear some feedback on building one, especially about case issues. (It would be hard for me to fit everything I want in it.)

Edit: are you crazy, why would you be in favor of just slapping a cheap sound card in? Always get the latest and greatest Soundblaster, Creative speakers are also a must... I upgrade sound cards and speakers yearly....
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:38:01 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2010, 03:37:40 pm »

Actually, I got Mediafire to work, as long as I limit it to one .zip at a time.
Of course, at the rate it's going, it'll take 3 days to uplaod everything.
I'm in no hurry.
Frankly if it was going to take me so long I would just have gone and fetched myself a USB-stick from the shops. you never know when you need one ;)
There are places you can get a nice 20 GB or so for around 10 bucks. Those things are insanely cheap.
Where is this magical place? IT cost me around that price for a two gigabyte. D:
only two?
I can get at least 4 GB for $10.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2010, 03:46:44 pm »

It was best buy. It might've been ten, or something around that area. And that was two years ago, so things could be different.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2010, 04:00:06 pm »

Dammit, guys!

I can't get any USB stick for 10 bucks.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2010, 04:01:44 pm »

Okay, reveal suppliers. I buy mine at Best Buy. I buy almost all my stuff at best buy usually, but I should switch to this new local shop. Maybe.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »

Best buy.
also found a 1 GB flash drive at target for $5 a couple years ago, but it seems to no longer be sold.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:32 pm »

Best buy.
also found a 1 GB flash drive at target for $5 a couple years ago, but it seems to no longer be sold.
Where do you live? I'm in Missouri, maybe prices differ.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »

Virginia.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2010, 04:18:52 pm »

That could probably be it. I probably have weird shipping distances and more fees.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2010, 04:54:16 pm »

Quote from: Me whining
Blarg Best Buy don't have any of those.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »

Where I go there's a shelf for USB sticks next to the check out and the cameras. Go to a Best Buy next to or in a mall. It's got better prices, maybe, and moar stuff.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:30 pm »

Where I go there's a shelf for USB sticks next to the check out and the cameras. Go to a Best Buy next to or in a mall. It's got better prices, maybe, and moar stuff.

As I said I don't have a Best Buy here, and probs not in the country. Not an American.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »

As I said I don't have a Best Buy here, and probs not in the country. Not an American.
Do you have a electronics-focused store of some kind in your country?
That would be related to best buy, probably.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2010, 05:33:48 pm »

Dammit, guys!

I can't get any USB stick for 10 bucks.
Hehe. I got a 2GB stick for about $5, but because I bought it with a $99 power supply, I saved money on shipping(free shipping for orders >$100), so I gained money from it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2010, 05:45:28 pm »

I remember just four years ago you could get a 512 MB USB stick for five dollars, now you can get 2 GB for the same price. Technology moves fast, doesn't it?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7