Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dedicated Tech thread.  (Read 6855 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Tech thread.
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »

BUMP - Is there any improvements/optimization I could do to this planned computer setup?
In-Win J649 ATX Midi Tower Black - Cabinet
Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-850C 850W PSU - PSU
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, Socket-AM3 - Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - Processor
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 2GB, CL9 x 3 - RAM
PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 x 2 - Graphics cards
Sunsway/ST Lab PCI soundcard 7.1-kanals - Sound card
Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB x 2 - HDD
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium NO(64-bit) - OS
Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223C - DVD-burner
BenQ 21,5" LED G2222HDL - Screen
ACE G25 Multimedia speakers 2.0 Black - Speakers
SteelSeries Merc Stealth - Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Optical Mouse - Mouse

Total cost is 13000 NOK('bout 13000£/€/15000$). Note: these names are from a Norwegian store; names may differ.
BTW, I am getting most of this around Christmas, I'll drop a hard drive and a graphics card.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2010, 07:47:49 pm »

According to google, you're off by an order of magnitude on the price.
Quote from: google
13000 Norwegian kroner = 2109.8740 US dollars
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2010, 04:57:29 am »

Why would anyone drop 15000$ on a rig like that? That's 104 989.81SEK/92 422.5807NOK/84 460.4106DKK.

Oh, and replace chassis, PSU and speakers. Ditch the soundcard; unnecessary for that kind of setup. Get a lower-end card if you really need one.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2010, 05:41:27 am »

Why would anyone drop 15000$ on a rig like that? That's 104 989.81SEK/92 422.5807NOK/84 460.4106DKK.

Oh, and replace chassis, PSU and speakers. Ditch the soundcard; unnecessary for that kind of setup. Get a lower-end card if you really need one.
Yeah, I messed up the price a tiny bit.
And if you'd give a more detailed tip than replacing some of the parts, I'd be happy. Am I supposed to get better ones? Worse? Also, the chassis can't be taller than 45 cm.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2010, 06:04:02 am »

I wouldn't trust a no brand PSU like that, get a corsair or antec or something, they all make good PSU's. Generally, what you pay for is what you get with PSU's, cheap ones will have crappy voltage regulation etc.

As for case? well there's a few good ideas in here. Infact there's a lot of good ideas there.
Magma is overrated.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2010, 06:05:55 am »

The PSU I say is one of the more important parts. Get a reliable, known brand. Preferably modular, so you have more space in there.

The Antec 902 is a good midtower chassis, and the Fractal Refine R3 as well.

As for speakers, I'm not really sure. I read a few reviews though, and that Ace pair is mediocre.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2010, 06:57:18 am »

Bah, you lazy people. Chieftec aren't a garbage company; I've searched around a bit, sure, they might not be well-known, but their power supplies are A-OK. I've decided to go with a 750W supply instead, though.
Oh and FYI the amps are good, and it's modular.

Now, about the chassis; I guess I could go with one that has gotten good reviews and such.

I guess I should spend a bit more on the speakers; quality does cost more than 10$.

And finally: won't having no sound card reduce sound quality?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2010, 07:03:11 am »

Lazy? hell yes I am. However, its worth noting that PSU and Case are the two things for a PC that will never age. Might as well buy a top quality one now that you can still use in 10 years time. If this company is a good one, go for it.

Finally: no, not really. Onboard sound is pretty good thesedays, so unless you buy a 500 buck set of speakers and are really into audio, and even creating music, you really don't need one. Yes, it will reduce sound quality, but ask yourself: will you notice?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 07:06:02 am by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2010, 07:13:40 am »

Lazy? hell yes I am. However, its worth noting that PSU and Case are the two things for a PC that will never age. Might as well buy a top quality one now that you can still use in 10 years time. If this company is a good one, go for it.

Finally: no, not really. Onboard sound is pretty good thesedays, so unless you buy a 500 buck set of speakers and are really into audio, and even creating music, you really don't need one. Yes, it will reduce sound quality, but ask yourself: will you notice?
Hm; I guess. So I'll just drop the sound card, still go with the 850W PSU(who knows how much I'll need in the future), and be less cheapo on the chassis. Be right back, finding new parts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2010, 01:16:17 pm »

Lazy? hell yes I am. However, its worth noting that PSU and Case are the two things for a PC that will never age.

Hell yes. at work, I got an i7 that's in a P2 case.

it looks awesome.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2010, 01:53:00 pm »

I wonder if you could cram a modern computer in an apple II case.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »

PSU wattage doesn't mean shit if it's from a shit company and isn't 80+ certified. You're just wasting energy. A good PSU at 650W 80+ certified is better than 1000W from some no-name brand company that's probably 60 or less.

I only like Seasonic, Corsair (branded seasonic), antec... etc - never had ANY problems or anything fail in years of using and reusing them.

I've had to deal with customers and heard plenty of stories of computers blowing up, case fires, bad PSUs frying all the other components, and such though.

PSU is simply the most important part of a computer, then motherboard. THEN cpu and gpu.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:36:37 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2010, 02:54:32 pm »

Is he building it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2010, 03:12:52 pm »

PSU wattage doesn't mean shit if it's from a shit company and isn't 80+ certified. You're just wasting energy. A good PSU at 650W 80+ certified is better than 1000W from some no-name brand company that's probably 60 or less.

I only like Seasonic, Corsair (branded seasonic), antec... etc - never had ANY problems or anything fail in years of using and reusing them.

I've had to deal with customers and heard plenty of stories of computers blowing up, case fires, bad PSUs frying all the other components, and such though.

PSU is simply the most important part of a computer, then motherboard. THEN cpu and gpu.
Seems like EVERYONE is lazy. This isn't a bad brand; they ARE 80+ certified, they HAVE enough ampers, they DON'T make shit.
I actually do a little research on my parts.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2010, 03:21:00 pm »

Actually, I got Mediafire to work, as long as I limit it to one .zip at a time.
Of course, at the rate it's going, it'll take 3 days to uplaod everything.
I'm in no hurry.
Frankly if it was going to take me so long I would just have gone and fetched myself a USB-stick from the shops. you never know when you need one ;)
There are places you can get a nice 20 GB or so for around 10 bucks. Those things are insanely cheap.
Where is this magical place? IT cost me around that price for a two gigabyte. D:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7