Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dedicated Tech thread.  (Read 6864 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Tech thread.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 10:12:38 am »

Bringing this back, because I have a problem. One of the fans inside my computer is starting to run very loudly. It seems like it's the small fan on the motherboard, which on my model is located right under the graphics card. While there hasn't been any effects on perfomance, it's very loud and annoying. Changing the fan settings has done nothing(at all, even on fans unrelated to this, they still run at the same speed). I might be able to disconnect the fan, but I don't think that's a really good idea.

Turn off your computer, disconnect the fan and see what's underneath it. If it seems important you can leave it or swap it out with a quieter fan of the same size.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 10:15:48 am »

get rid of that crap, and get a real phone, one with buttons.

Buttons are unnatural, get one with levers
Dials, wheels and pulleys are the way backward forward
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 11:27:13 am »

Bringing this back, because I have a problem. One of the fans inside my computer is starting to run very loudly. It seems like it's the small fan on the motherboard, which on my model is located right under the graphics card. While there hasn't been any effects on perfomance, it's very loud and annoying. Changing the fan settings has done nothing(at all, even on fans unrelated to this, they still run at the same speed). I might be able to disconnect the fan, but I don't think that's a really good idea.

Turn off your computer, disconnect the fan and see what's underneath it. If it seems important you can leave it or swap it out with a quieter fan of the same size.
I cleaned off two fans, one I hadn't noticed before, and it's still doing it. I can't disconnect it, since I think it's helping the graphics card keep cool, nor can I swap it out(it looks built-in to the motherboard, not to mention not having any money to buy a new one). Either it's not a dust-related problem, or it's a different fan. If it's a different fan, then it'd either be the PSU fan(crap!) of the graphics card's fan(which wasn't all that dirty when I checked it).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 01:07:03 pm »

I cleaned off two fans, one I hadn't noticed before, and it's still doing it. I can't disconnect it, since I think it's helping the graphics card keep cool, nor can I swap it out(it looks built-in to the motherboard, not to mention not having any money to buy a new one). Either it's not a dust-related problem, or it's a different fan. If it's a different fan, then it'd either be the PSU fan(crap!) of the graphics card's fan(which wasn't all that dirty when I checked it).
What PSU do you have? And what GPU? More info would help.

It's probs not the PSU, as they really aren't that loud, but the GPU is a candidate.

Oh, and I don't remember seeing any recent mobos with fans in them. What model and make do you have?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »

GPU is an ATI Radeon HD 4800. PSU, I'm not sure what model it is, the only name I can come up with is "Silencer", but it's supposed to be quiet(and came with a 5-year warranty). The sound is coming from below the PSU anyway, just not sure how far down. Motherboard is an EVGA one, not sure on the model, but it came with two fans built into the board, one near the CPU, and another between the PCI-E slots.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 01:22:28 pm »

stick a pen in each fan in turn, and see when the noise stops.

you won't cause any permanent damage, as long as you don't keep it stopped for too long.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 05:39:04 pm »

Pulled the fan out, poured a little rubbing alcohol in it, let it dry. Muuuuuuch quieter. Still a little... grindy. I didn't break it (entirely), because I can still hear it, but it's so much better.

Quiet. One of the best sounds ever.

stick a pen in each fan in turn, and see when the noise stops.

you won't cause any permanent damage, as long as you don't keep it stopped for too long.
These are fans that spin thousands of times per minute and made of the cheapest plastic from the lowest bidder. I'm not sticking something in there. I already knew which fan was the problem.

Actually, I did, and quickly realized it was a bad idea.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 05:42:29 pm »

Well whaddaya know.

HD6900s out yet? Any opinions?

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 06:11:02 pm »

Yeah, use a Q-tip next time. It's even softer and made of even cheaper and thinner stuff.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 06:24:25 pm »

Well, there aren't 6900's yet, rumor is that they're being delayed till next year. but Nvidia just released the gtx485580 this week. Fastest card ever of course. Its not a revolution, but its much much better than a 480 in all ways, including noise and heat in particular, so if you were thinking of a 480, don't, get a 580.
Magma is overrated.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 06:27:13 pm »

Not really, according to this.

It's an improvement, but it's not that great.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 08:32:25 pm »

Not really, according to this.

It's an improvement, but it's not that great.

Like i said, its really a 485. perhaps much better in all ways was too strong of a word. However, like i also said, it runs much cooler than a 480, also meaning less noise. So unless you want to melt your PC and make it sound like a harrier is inside (yes, exaguration), your better off getting a 580 over a 480, once prices settle down over the next month. I mean, think about it. Would you have, back a little, reccomended someone get a gtx280 over a 285?
Magma is overrated.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 06:46:30 am »

I recently swapped out my Athlon X2 for a Phenom II X4, meaning I have now replaced every single component of my computer.  I celebrated the occasion by rebuilding the computer in its original form and imagining it having an existential crisis.

Unfortunately, the Athlon is flaky, so the original generally runs for a good 10 minutes before dieing.  Also, the upgrade got me a whopping extra 3 FPS on my 20 FPS fort, making it seem like a bit of a waste of money.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 10:50:21 am »

Dammit, the fan is starting to get loud again. I really don't want to take it out again if it's not going to be a long-term fix. Perhaps getting a replacement fan is neccessary? Is that possible, how much is that gonna cost? It's just a simple small fan.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 11:52:27 am »

Dammit, the fan is starting to get loud again. I really don't want to take it out again if it's not going to be a long-term fix. Perhaps getting a replacement fan is neccessary? Is that possible, how much is that gonna cost? It's just a simple small fan.

they are usually not to hard to replace.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7