Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Dedicated Tech thread.  (Read 6873 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Tech thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 10:51:03 am »

Excellent!

Going to begin the process of overclocking my e8400 in a few months, when I have time and money. Currently debating over which heatsink to use. The Noctua NH U12P SE2 looks great, so I might get that, but it's certainly not the best so I'm open to suggestions.
Using a Corsair H50 myself. Works marvelously and very quitely, though kinda pricy.

In fact, im considering adding another fan to the radiator to make a push-pull thing, but my MB only has one 4-pin PWN connector. So I need to find some way to around that first, it should be possible to link both to one plug as long as I omit one of the feedback wires.

As for the file transfer problem, what keeps you from just grabbing the HD from the old comp and linking it to the new one?

I looked at the temps for that, and I personally didn't like their performance. Also, I don't want to change the airflow in my comp.

I look at heatsink weights, and I get worried. Is attaching a 1000g hunk of metal and plastic onto the CPu and motherboard really a smart move? Will it hurt it?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:58:44 am »

it's not attatched to the CPU, it's attatched to the motherboard, and the heavy ones generally come with a backplate to spread the weight around.

though motherboards do tend to bend after a while of having them.

personally, I'm happy with stock cooling.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 11:24:08 am »

Excellent!

Going to begin the process of overclocking my e8400 in a few months, when I have time and money. Currently debating over which heatsink to use. The Noctua NH U12P SE2 looks great, so I might get that, but it's certainly not the best so I'm open to suggestions.
Using a Corsair H50 myself. Works marvelously and very quitely, though kinda pricy.

In fact, im considering adding another fan to the radiator to make a push-pull thing, but my MB only has one 4-pin PWN connector. So I need to find some way to around that first, it should be possible to link both to one plug as long as I omit one of the feedback wires.

As for the file transfer problem, what keeps you from just grabbing the HD from the old comp and linking it to the new one?

I looked at the temps for that, and I personally didn't like their performance. Also, I don't want to change the airflow in my comp.

I look at heatsink weights, and I get worried. Is attaching a 1000g hunk of metal and plastic onto the CPu and motherboard really a smart move? Will it hurt it?
Part of the reason I chose a watercooling device was to prevent the blowing the CPUs heat all over my motherboard. Now I can just directelly blow the CPUs heat out of the case.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 03:05:04 pm »

get a usb hard drive.

32GB USB stick and 250GB USB HDD are about the same price.
When I built my computer, and had to order a new power supply(the one the case came with wasn't enough, and looking back at its specs told it shouldn't have had one to begin with), I got a 2GB stick for $5. Heck, it actually saved me about $10 in shipping, since the power supply was $99.99 and they had free shipping on orders of $100 or more(otherwise, it would have been a kick in the teeth).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »

Also, getting another hard drive along with the heatsink to be able to store more stuff (duh). Probably 1TB is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 04:02:19 pm »

Externals go up to 2TB at Best Buy. About every month (or so I've noticed) some of the bigger drives go on sale.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 04:09:00 pm »

Externals go up to 2TB at Best Buy. About every month (or so I've noticed) some of the bigger drives go on sale.

Internals, I mean. Cheaper and faster.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 05:10:02 pm »

I have never built a computer, so I can't advice you on brands, but seeing as the HD is pretty much the slowest part of your computer, I'd say you'd have to go for the fastest drive you can get for a reasonable price.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »

Or: Get a small SSD to put the OS on, so it runs faster, and get a HDD for general storage.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 08:17:50 pm »

Or: Get a small SSD to put the OS on, so it runs faster, and get a HDD for general storage.
The cheapest SSD I could find on newegg is around $78, for 32 GB. You can get a decent 7200 RPM 1 TB for less.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 08:20:13 pm »

Any particular brands recommended for a combo mouse and keyboard, preferably wireless? I'm looking at under 200 on it.
Is looking like my current choice.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 08:36:39 pm »

The cheapest SSD I could find on newegg is around $78, for 32 GB. You can get a decent 7200 RPM 1 TB for less.
It's a fairly small advantage, but if you can spare the money, the boot time is nice. Comparison
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:28:15 am »

8)

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 02:36:50 am »

It's a fairly small advantage, but if you can spare the money, the boot time is nice. Comparison
I have a lovely Intel 160GB SSD for my OS and some software. Boot and load times are nice but it was ultimately a waste of money.

Also, getting another hard drive along with the heatsink to be able to store more stuff (duh). Probably 1TB is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

The Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache is nice and fast, not too pricey, but can be a little noisier than others I've owned. The Cache could be bigger but it depends what size files you're moving around.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:58 am »

Bringing this back, because I have a problem. One of the fans inside my computer is starting to run very loudly. It seems like it's the small fan on the motherboard, which on my model is located right under the graphics card. While there hasn't been any effects on perfomance, it's very loud and annoying. Changing the fan settings has done nothing(at all, even on fans unrelated to this, they still run at the same speed). I might be able to disconnect the fan, but I don't think that's a really good idea.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7