Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any experienced race modders here?  (Read 1371 times)

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any experienced race modders here?
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:01:47 pm »

Topic pretty much says it all.

On the side I do a lot of my own fantasy writing/creating stuff [none of it near publishable] and I would love to customize my game with some races of my creating so I can interact with them with my dwarves.  Problem is, I don't even know how to add a basic race much less tweak them to get cultural/spread/economic profiles that are accurate.
Cage traps are my magma.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any experienced race modders here?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:08:07 pm »

While slightly outdated, this 40d modding guide shows how to add a new race.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

namragog

• Bay Watcher
  • How many woods can a wood wood chu- Wait, no...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:19:37 pm »

PM me  8) 8) 8)
Erarngumrash!

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »

I read it, but it kind of doesn't stick.  Ok, so I'll have to go over whether or not its playable.  I'll have to dig up a list of ethics, stuff like that.  Somehow there'll be what clothes they can wear, stuff like that.

I still feel a little overwhelmed though.  Is there a master list of all the tokens that can be used?  Also, I noticed something interesting looking over the dwarven entry.

[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:UNTHINKABLE]

^ somehow I sense a bit of a schism in the player/played relationship.  Would anything bad happen if you tweaked those?
Cage traps are my magma.

Lamey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:15:19 pm »

I read it, but it kind of doesn't stick.  Ok, so I'll have to go over whether or not its playable.  I'll have to dig up a list of ethics, stuff like that.  Somehow there'll be what clothes they can wear, stuff like that.

I still feel a little overwhelmed though.  Is there a master list of all the tokens that can be used?  Also, I noticed something interesting looking over the dwarven entry.

[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:UNTHINKABLE]
   [ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:UNTHINKABLE]

^ somehow I sense a bit of a schism in the player/played relationship.  Would anything bad happen if you tweaked those?

During world gen ethics are compared between entities to generate wars.  If you made torture for fun or torture animals acceptable dwarves should be more likely to go to war with elves.  On the other hand making dwarves accept the other 2 should actually reduce the chance that they go to war with humans and elves.

The wiki has lots of nice info.  entity token, ethics for example.

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »

What does the "Misguided" value mean in the ethics tokens?
Cage traps are my magma.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:52:49 pm »

What does the "Misguided" value mean in the ethics tokens?

According to the 40d page on ethics tokens, as far as war determination goes it means that race doesn't really like the thing, but they don't care a lot if some other race does or doesn't do the thing. That info was for 40d, but I see no reason why it should be different for the current version.

I don't know how it affects Fortress Mode if you put it on a butchery-related ethic.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:01:20 pm »

I know that ethics also determine whether or not certain activities count as punishments (the vandalism and murder ones), and whether you can turn the corpses of foes and animals into bone trinkets or meat to consume.

They also determine certain world gen things. Civs that are ok with murder will allow their citizens to murder each other in world gen. Civs eat sentients will eat the foes they defeat in battle. Civs that like torture will do various terrible things to corpses and enemies they defeat in world gen.

Each level of ethics has a numerical value associated with it; the game uses the differences in numerical values between the ethical beliefs of civs to wage war; I know Toady said this much, but I don't know any more or where I read this.

Other than
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:14:44 am »

It's worth noting that it is impossible to butcher the corpse of a named sentient, irrespective of the ethics assigned to a given race.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 02:05:36 am »

It's worth noting that it is impossible to butcher the corpse of a named sentient, irrespective of the ethics assigned to a given race.

not true, my drow eat kobolds and goblins with daily delight if the crundle meat start to run low... not to speak of the goblin leather backpacks and so on
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 02:20:16 am »

Have a +kobold meat roast+

No, have 44 of them!

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 04:12:41 am »

This would seem reasonable and silly at the same time. "I can eat this guy, but not the guy named 'Goblin McDwarfStomper', as he was a worthy opponent. wait, no he wasn't. DINNER!"
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 10:27:56 am »

not true, my drow eat kobolds and goblins with daily delight if the crundle meat start to run low... not to speak of the goblin leather backpacks and so on

Would you mind posting your ethics?  I could have sworn it wasn't possible.
Also known as Zuhayr.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:34:31 am »

Since this thread is about a question I have myself... if I was to add a new playable race for Fortress mode, what do I need to do to make the new race use a different tileset for their units?

I don't know much about modding, but the 40d guide covers enough to at least get the race into the game, but I couldn't find anything on it about how to use custom graphics for that specific race.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 02:06:31 pm »

Would you mind posting your ethics?  I could have sworn it wasn't possible.

The experimental race that I use has the following ethics:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This race has been proven to be able to butcher and eat named thieves, ambushers, traders, and diplomats, of a variety of races.  I'm pretty sure they won't eat members of their own race and civilization, but other than that there seems to be no restrictions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2