Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rough Stone, Smooth Stone, Polished Stone  (Read 3092 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rough Stone, Smooth Stone, Polished Stone
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:38:54 pm »

This afternoon I took a hike in a gypsum canyon and came back with some DF ideas:

1.  Smoothing stone should be a more important task.  Walking over smooth stone should be like walking down a sidewalk, while walking over rough stone should be like walking through a field or rough mine tunnel.  Movement over rough should be about 2/3 movement over smooth.

2.  Working floors a second time should turn them from smooth into polished.  Think of the kind of stonework that you might see at a bank or a fancy government building.  There's no difference in movement speed between smooth and polished, but polished stone is a little prettier and can be engraved.

3.  Water affects each type of stone differently.  It should take a long time for mud to appear on wet smoothed stone.  Polished stone is completely non-porous, so it'll never generate mud.  But wet polished stone might become slippery.

4.  Cleaning rates vary by smoothness.  Rough stone takes longest, smooth is medium, and polished is quick.

5.  Types of rock should be classed as hard or soft.  You can only polish hard stone floors and walls, not soft stone like talc or gypsum.  But maybe an advantage of soft stone is that you can order your miners to crush those stones to dust with their picks, so that you don't have to haul them.

6.  A constructed floor from rock is rough and can be smoothed.  A constructed floor from a block is smooth and can be polished, if it's from a hard type of rock.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Rough Stone, Smooth Stone, Polished Stone
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »

What does this improve significantly over how it's already set up?  IIRC, smoothed floors already offer a speed benefit to carts and stuff.  And realistically, a polished floor is going to have less friction than an otherwise 'rough' one, making it harder to gain traction and speed on. 

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:47:04 pm »

What does this improve significantly over how it's already set up?  IIRC, smoothed floors already offer a speed benefit to carts and stuff.  And realistically, a polished floor is going to have less friction than an otherwise 'rough' one, making it harder to gain traction and speed on.

Once wheeled carts and other vehicles are put in, this would seem like a good idea to me.  Mine shafts aren't that hard to move around in, so that doesn't make much sense to hurt foot traffic, but it is very hard to use something with wheels over it.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

I don't see how this is in any way an improvement over the current set up.

1: Smoothing stone is currently a big job over any reasonable area, so all you'd be doing is adding an unnecessary job that would take forever and penalise you until it's all done.

2: Polished stone, as you describe it, would be exactly the same as smooth stone currently is.

3: This is an unnecessary addition to the game and the game checking everything all the time to see whether it's smooth enough or the right kind of rock for mud would be yet another burden on my CPU.

4: How does this help anything?

5: We already have rock and soil. Further definitions add nothing to the game.

6:See 2.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.