Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guard Towers.  (Read 1421 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guard Towers.
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:12 pm »

Are there any uses to guard towers besides just asthetics? If so are there any recomendations on how they should be made? On one map I had mostly flat land with 3 seperate small mountains, I turned one into a military area and another into a weapons/armor cache, was it a good idea?
It was probably a good idea.

I don't use the spotting towers other guys have mentioned, but in theory those should work great. I may try them myself.

I do use archer towers. I place them at strategic points, and make sure they're inaccessible to the outside. Each tower has a small (like three-man) squad. In 40d the towers could totally dominate a 15-20 square radius. In the current version bolts are a lot less lethal (I had one guy running around my arena with 27 of them stuck in him before he finally died), but a guard tower manned by decent marksdwarves with access to good bolts is still a low-risk, non-gamey, way to hurt besiegers.

Nick

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 06:31:05 pm »

im thinking of keeping my army in a close tower and tunel run.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »

I currently use bunkers along the sides of my volcano.  I use towers when I have flat land generally 2 z high, I'm not sure why but I was told that was the optimum hight to not get hit by gob arrows and not waste range and it works.

2z:
FFFF
F--F
F-xF
FFFF

1z:

wwww
w--w
w-xw
wwww

-1z:
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwzzz---------------------   to fortress
wwzzzwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwxzzw
wwwww
F- fortification
w- wall
-- floor
x- stairs
z- ammo stockpile

also, guard dogs or any animal for that matter have a tendancy to fall asleep while chained (or its a bug and they are just unresponsive...)  1 square guarantees detection, since animals have no observation skill you should always put them in an area where the enemy has to walk around them.  I've had dwarves detect from multiple squares away, but every animal detection I've seen has been at one square distance.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."
Pages: 1 [2]