Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's play Might and Magic 6! : Let's start this thing  (Read 14675 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Let's play Might and Magic 6! : Let's start this thing
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:35:11 am »

So, I have a shitton of room in my photobucket account, a game of Might and Magic 6 in my computer, and a hell of alot of time on my hands. I also have no patience. Let's see how long this lasts, eh?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:45:55 am by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Might and Magic 6! : Let's start this thing
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »

Acidic Biscuit, Cleric, good with staffs/wands/maces (whichever's best, or whichever exists.), good at healing and protective magics.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »

You should install the unofficial patch.  IIRC it fixes several bugs, enables mouselook, and several other nice things.  It makes a world of difference.  See here and especially here for relevant details.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:39:43 pm »

It's a great game. Hard too imagine an LP of it since its so long. Seriously, It's an enormous time commitment to finish this game(I got pretty far once - maybe several hugenormous dungeons until the end).

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »

I blame you for skipping the intro, since there isn't a training montage, just scenes of assorted monsters, something you can't do in game, and an explosion of magic. The video was made before they quite figured out what they were doing with the game, so it's a bit off. For instance, the dragons and titans are one of the main reasons the Kreegan armies are going so slowly.
 I want to note that the fires do that on a '99 box too. I'm fairly sure that was Rob's fault, but everyone else thought it was hilarious as well. It's still hilarious.

Anyway, you should probably do some screenshots of the right-click text so people know what they're getting into, go through each stat, class, and skill, cut out the text, splice them together. I know you can do it, Karne!

Zoltan, do not change his portrait; it's awesome when he gets drunk. Give him water magic and leather armour, intelligence points, and a bit of speed.
 Drain everyone's luck to seven for extra points; you can get it back easily. Then add two or more points of endurance to everyone.

Edit: More notes! Falagar, the wizard there, is a Gate Master, not a general spell slinger. He brings you places (the village of New Sorpigal in this case), but doesn't do much else.
 (And spoilers?) The meteor wasn't a meteor, it was a ship. And if you go back where it landed later, you'll find a fried and blighted land.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:07:56 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:13:10 am »

Nivm, wow, dude, woah. Lotsa info there.

Also, I already knew all that :P Played through this game many times, many many times. Quickly too.

Alright, so we got a cleric and a sorcerer, anyone wanna give our knight or archer/paladin a name?

Anyway, you should probably do some screenshots of the right-click text so people know what they're getting into, go through each stat, class, and skill, cut out the text, splice them together. I know you can do it, Karne!
Oh hell no, that sounds like work, and I don't like work. Not at all. I'll post up me own summary though.

Spoiler: Class summary (click to show/hide)

simple enough.

Update tomorrow if I remember.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:24 am »

names, some classes, and some skills.

Mandate of Heaven? Awesome! I'm in.

Sylia, female paladin. Make her the sexy brunette.

Take points out of luck so we can take full advantage of the well in New Sorpigal, and points of out intellect because she won't need them. High endurance and speed. If extra points are available, accuracy/might/personality.

Party leader, so she should take perception and disarm as her secondaries, and just suffer through with lesser armor for a while. (EDIT: Now that I think about it, both of those should be available in New Sorpigal, so chain and shield would probably be the better choice. But she'll need those skills soon if we want to stay alive.)

Play her as a cheerful, Axe Crazy,Church Militant, Knight Templar. She should take a great deal of pleasure in her work.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 12:55:45 am »

I lost my copy of mm6.
 :'(

How about knight, sorcerer sorcerer, sorcerer?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:41 am »

How about knight, sorcerer sorcerer, sorcerer?

We already have a cleric, sorceror and a paladin. And the way I remember it, knights aren't really useful for much other than as batteries for the life-redistribution spell. A second sorceror would be good. Or, I'd even take an archer over a knight. That would at least give us a second set of beacons.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 09:33:31 am »

Well, in my experience knights dish out serious damage in melee in the end-game. Not that we're likely to reach end-game, but...
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 11:32:13 am »

In the early to mid game, knights are solid attackers.  By the late game, they're a walking mountain of hitpoints.  They have far more health than any other class (both from leveling and from Body Building).  When the rest of your party's been annihilated in the late game, the knight is still alive to flee.

Also, magic dominates the mid to late game.  If I take a knight, I usually also take a druid, cleric, and sorceror.  If I take a paladin, I take an archer (and vice versa) plus a cleric and sorceror (or occasionally a druid and cleric).  The fighting classes shine early on, but in my experience fighter-heavy parties are pitiful by the time you reach VARN, if not sooner.

This is not true in MM7, but MM6 doesn't have Monks or the Armsmaster skill.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:34:27 am by Earthquake Damage »

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

You might have know those things, Karne, but you're too lazy to post them! The way it is now, only those who have played the game get to make many choices.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 10:39:13 pm »

Knight Thief Sorceror Cleric
oh wait, no thief here. That's next game.

Code: [Select]
Paladin Archer     Cleric Sorceror
Shield  Perception Spirit Air
Chain   Disarm     Repair Water   

hire: Banker Scholar
Balanced parties are useful, and I think that's all the skills you really need initially (except Bow for everyone). Wonder why you can't give Paladins Body to start.
And of course, spend your first [membership+]600 gold on getting everyone Merchant. Discount to everything forever. Since this includes levelling up and learning things it is ridiculously useful.

Going to use the warp to Dragon Sands for the Shrine of the Gods/NWC dungeon?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 11:55:19 pm »

Don't you expect to get plate by the time the paladin needs his armour? Replacing chain with repair, since he'll have a spare points for it?

If we're choosing hirelings before we even find them, I would prefer a cartographer and an instructor, or two instructors. I usually don't take a banker, but it does make spellbooks and expertise acquirement slightly easier.

Since this is a Let's Play, any information commonly gained from cheat-sites shouldn't be used. They spoil the game too severely. If you do collect the things like the money cash hidden in the torch or disguised chests▬ those that can be discovered by paying attention▬, make sure not to specify their location, even vaguely.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:31:27 am »

If we're choosing hirelings before we even find them, I would prefer a cartographer and an instructor, or two instructors. I usually don't take a banker, but it does make spellbooks and expertise acquirement slightly easier.
Two instructors don't stack.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: [1] 2 3 4