Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: You are all monsters.  (Read 73172 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: You are all monsters.
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:03 am »

Also:  I no longer draft females into my military.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2010, 11:36:38 am »

Also:  I no longer draft females into my military.

But babies make the best shields! And as long as afterward they see a nice statue, they won't tantrum.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2010, 12:00:57 pm »

You know, I can't think of any other game that gives quite the same incentive to harvest mermaids for their bones...

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »

So apparently I am a sociopath because I play a game.

This is news to me, because I thought sociopaths were defined by their complete lack of emotion and willingness to do anything to get what they want, two traits which I do not display.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2010, 12:18:01 pm »

You know, I can't think of any other game that gives quite the same incentive to harvest mermaids for their bones...

Seeing as I haven't actually harvested any mermaids for their bones, I'm really not sure what that incentive is.  Are they worth a crapton?  Do they make especially nice bolts?

Dwarf Fortress doesn't really distinguish between critters.  With the exception of Dwarves, which are generally off-limits for crafting purposes (unless you get a fel mood), everything is potentially a pile of resources.  Bears are piles of meat, organs, and bones held together with leather.  So are deer.  So are unicorns.  So are mermaids.  If you want to harvest one of them for their meat/bones/leather you can go right ahead.

Most games severely constrain your actions.  The developers decide that a specific pile of pixels is a monster, so you can attack it.  Another pile of pixels is a friendly NPC, so you aren't allowed to attack it.  Maybe this pile of pixels is an animal, so you can skin it.  But this other pile of pixels is too cute, so you aren't allowed to skin it.

Dwarf Fortress doesn't constrain you.  It's all just pixels.  Do with them as you please.

You don't want to slaughter mermaids for their bones?  Don't.  I've never felt the need to.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2010, 12:20:37 pm »

One of the things that makes me visualize and laugh hard is in the wiki:

Pressure plates will not trigger for unseen foes, such as goblin snatchers. They will, however, trigger if the snatcher has been discovered "inside" the plate defensive boundary and attempts to flee, and then steps on them on the way out of the fortress. This potentially extremely hazardous issue should be addressed during defense design.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »

I can think of a lot that let you breed animals for their meat and leather though. What's the difference? Not that you can in the current version without altering the raws anyway (and even then it's not worth it as they aren't worth anything any more).
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2010, 05:48:06 am »

I can think of a lot that let you breed animals for their meat and leather though. What's the difference? Not that you can in the current version without altering the raws anyway (and even then it's not worth it as they aren't worth anything any more).
However, this is the only game in which you can abort babies via massive trauma.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2010, 06:08:24 am »

I thought The Sims 3 had something like that (well not massive trauma, but miscarriage)? Or am I believing urban legends....

Anyways, Dwarf Fortress is probably the most accommodating game when it comes to potential evil. I suspect the Creatures series (You want to breed a creature that only knows how to feel suffering? It's been done) is a close runner-up.

It's not that these games intentionally set out to enable evil deeds (on the contrary, creatures is quite awwww-inspiring) -they set out to enable total freedom of choice. There are "evil" sandboxes of different size and freedom out there, but what's interesting is that they pale in comparison to what you can do in Dwarf Fortress -because, funny enough, the creators of those "evil" sandbox games did put limits to what you can do. Dwarf Fortress is a fantasy simulator. Just as a flight simulator wouldn't be a simulator if you couldn't fly a plane into buildings, Dwarf Fortress would be less of a simulator if the player's hand was tied to the creator's vision of fantasy -or of what is appropriate.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2010, 07:36:22 am »

I thought The Sims 3 had something like that (well not massive trauma, but miscarriage)? Or am I believing urban legends....

Anyways, Dwarf Fortress is probably the most accommodating game when it comes to potential evil. I suspect the Creatures series (You want to breed a creature that only knows how to feel suffering? It's been done) is a close runner-up.

It's not that these games intentionally set out to enable evil deeds (on the contrary, creatures is quite awwww-inspiring) -they set out to enable total freedom of choice. There are "evil" sandboxes of different size and freedom out there, but what's interesting is that they pale in comparison to what you can do in Dwarf Fortress -because, funny enough, the creators of those "evil" sandbox games did put limits to what you can do. Dwarf Fortress is a fantasy simulator. Just as a flight simulator wouldn't be a simulator if you couldn't fly a plane into buildings, Dwarf Fortress would be less of a simulator if the player's hand was tied to the creator's vision of fantasy -or of what is appropriate.
Also, "evil" is subjective.
I would give an example, but I can't think of one that doesn't invoke godwin's law. or has it already been invoked on this thread?
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2010, 07:58:18 am »

I would give an example, but I can't think of one that doesn't invoke godwin's law. or has it already been invoked on this thread?

Surprisingly, no. If OP had been serious, it would've been done on the first page.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2010, 08:02:46 am »

Surprisingly, no. If OP had been serious, it would've been done on the first page.
Still, the fact that this thread is in fact a competition in being horrible, and that some people haven't figured this out yet is funny

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2010, 10:29:47 am »

I had a revelation today.

In my forts, it seems like every single immigrant I get has 20 pets associated to him on the way to the fort. It's like they come traipsing through the forest, find an elf caravan along the way, and buy EVERY DAMNED ANIMAL THEY CAN before they arrive at my fort.

It'd be fine if they just brought the animals with them, and then let me decide what to do with them. But no. They name them. They love them. They squeeze them.

So today, when I was managing my fort, I had one wander into my atom smasher while I was clearing some rubble. It walked in with a hauler... so my brain suddenly decides to speak up to me, for once, and tells me to lock the doors against pets. The puppy gets stuck. Everyone else leaves.

And I told them to pull the lever on the way out.

Thusly, a puppy was gone. Then I got an idea. I could make an atom smasher at my fort's entrance, with a narrow 'doorway' in and out.. A sort of puppy filter. It could stop all the critters from wandering into my fort, but let the people pass.... Too bad I cannot just drop them into a 20 foot pit, and then butcher the corpses... But NO, they get attatched and want graves for the little fuzzballs.

Damned elf-tendencies, I tell you. They''re MEAT, toss'em on the fire! Be a dwarf, tell your friends that Fluffist MacDoggson tasted AWESOME with beer batter.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:40 am »

I had a revelation today.

In my forts, it seems like every single immigrant I get has 20 pets associated to him on the way to the fort. It's like they come traipsing through the forest, find an elf caravan along the way, and buy EVERY DAMNED ANIMAL THEY CAN before they arrive at my fort.

It'd be fine if they just brought the animals with them, and then let me decide what to do with them. But no. They name them. They love them. They squeeze them.

So today, when I was managing my fort, I had one wander into my atom smasher while I was clearing some rubble. It walked in with a hauler... so my brain suddenly decides to speak up to me, for once, and tells me to lock the doors against pets. The puppy gets stuck. Everyone else leaves.

And I told them to pull the lever on the way out.

Thusly, a puppy was gone. Then I got an idea. I could make an atom smasher at my fort's entrance, with a narrow 'doorway' in and out.. A sort of puppy filter. It could stop all the critters from wandering into my fort, but let the people pass.... Too bad I cannot just drop them into a 20 foot pit, and then butcher the corpses... But NO, they get attatched and want graves for the little fuzzballs.

Damned elf-tendencies, I tell you. They''re MEAT, toss'em on the fire! Be a dwarf, tell your friends that Fluffist MacDoggson tasted AWESOME with beer batter.

That's the sissy way.
The dwarfy way? Repeating spikes, everywhere.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2010, 12:14:56 pm »

I care for my dwarves. Even if they are unwanted migrants, which is rare (pop cap does work after all).
I've always been thinking that if you can't afford to care for your own dwarves, then you aren't hardcore enough.
Me too. I always try to max out the number of years I play without getting anyone killed. Sometimes I also try to ensure the safety of any ambassadors
and merchants even, at least back in 40d where giant cave swallows used to kill all merchants before they got to depot... But saving your fortress from premature FPS-death for a few years is what really necessitates cruelty in DF. I used to never kill any animals. Had something like 900 in one game... Toady seriously needs to have the game automatically tweak itself so that the FPS stays decent. Now I butcher anything non-pet that is not a war animal, but if I had the choice, I would not kill any animals due to them working as nice distracting meatshields for the clown circus moments.

Even most of the useless seeming migrant dorfs can be made into killing machines by a couple of years of
continuous danger-room training. I think my best is 5 or 6 years of play without anyone being killed.
Finally failed in this game when my first danger room killed a baby that a soldier had.

Now all I do and plan for is means to try and save FPS.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18