Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The final version of DF.  (Read 13930 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: The final version of DF.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 11:29:01 pm »

But he cleans out the annoying bugs fairly regularly. I don't think there are any bugs now that existed two or three years ago.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2010, 12:03:35 am »

But he cleans out the annoying bugs fairly regularly. I don't think there are any bugs now that existed two or three years ago.

There's a few here and there. The dreaded Nemesis Bug is still on the bug tracker, for instance.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 12:49:08 am »

The bug tracker didn't exist three years ago...and I didn't think nemesis did either.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 03:20:11 am »

Yes, it did. That error existed in 40d, and likely much earlier.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 05:17:29 am »

Toady has to leave due to working on a complete war simulator for the US Gov leaving DF unfinished.
In the year 2034 Moscow, Beijing and trinidad are destroyed as lava floods the lands. YellowStone national park is 600meters deeper.
Rumours of Toady saying "dammit we only have enough for half of Europe left" after the event have not be confirmed

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 05:25:10 am »

Well in theory, in order to accuratly emulate a system, you need a system or equal or greater complexity. Therefor, because DF would have all the complexity of real life, we would need to convert all reality into the DF universe. As such, I advise you to be nice to your dwarves, as one day you could be one.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 05:41:15 am »

Actually you can abstract many things only things that are crucial to the game need to be simulated thus most quantum stuff can be done by RNG andd simpliefied physics if we as user dont look at it.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 05:45:32 am »

Actually you can abstract many things only things that are crucial to the game need to be simulated thus most quantum stuff can be done by RNG andd simpliefied physics if we as user dont look at it.

We will not settle for anything less then 100% realisem. DF is setting the standard for all games today, we the standard should be high. Quantum processing is  MUST HAVE. Once that is implmented, the migrant system gets reworked.  :P

mgrinshpon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEMI_INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 10:18:45 pm »

Well, Toady said the game was 31% done a while ago. We can assume that by the time it hits 100%, it'll accurately model the universe and all of its intricacies.
Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 10:36:08 pm »

It has a control scheme SLIGHTLY MORE COMPLICATED then ruling a small universe.

Holy crap, DF is Sburb.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »

The bug tracker didn't exist three years ago...and I didn't think nemesis did either.
Yes, it did. That error existed in 40d, and likely much earlier.
This is the earliest mention of it the search finds, from October 30, 2007. Ten more days till its anniversary, I guess.

We will not settle for anything less then 100% realisem. DF is setting the standard for all games today, we the standard should be high. Quantum processing is  MUST HAVE. Once that is implmented, the migrant system gets reworked.  :P
  Just be careful of that "Nemesis Unit Load Error" when you try and immigrate. =]

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 11:30:15 pm »

Don't you get it? The final version of Dwarf Fortress has been completed. You're living in it. Its just so seamless and perfect that you are convinced it is the "real world".

Toady is God, and has given us an old version of his universe to play with.

IT MAKES SENSE NOW!
Meowth! That's right!

Desdichado

• Bay Watcher
  • The Anti-Zealot Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 04:04:47 am »

Between the candlejacking 4channers and raving sycophants, it's easy to dismiss this thread, but realistically the end of DF will probably look like this prescient quote:
It'd be unplayable because so many features got implemented but so few works and optimized. The game'd crash 90% of the time, every turn. Saving will also fail 90% of the times. You'd have to play turn by turn and pray for that 1% chance of success to advance. World gen simply doesnt work, you have to import one from earlier versions. When you embark, before you unpause, you have to run a 2-3h long DFHack batchwork to fix all the quirky stuff that'd reduce the chance of the game crashing 100% of the times to 90%. Aside from that, the game would be awesome. Everything would just be square, that's for certain, but the physics is so unimaginably accurate that each turn take about 5 minutes to process. When battles occur, you can see arrows fly one more square every morning.

I mean, the future increase in computing power looks to be mainly from the addition of more cores, and Toady has yet to come to terms with even a rudimentary attempt to multi-thread.
"I have a puppy instead", which while maintaining a polite tone, is quiet, calculating character assassination against Toady. Do some of you not see it as such, backstabbing?

At least spell my name right.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2010, 04:18:39 am »

Don't you get it? The final version of Dwarf Fortress has been completed. You're living in it. Its just so seamless and perfect that you are convinced it is the "real world".

IT MAKES SENSE NOW!

I agree. And it has versions of itself in it!
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2010, 05:09:58 am »

IT MAKES SENSE NOW!

I agree. And it has versions of itself in it!
We see dorfs on our screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, seeing dorfs on their screen, [...],seeing dorfs on their screen,  getting raped by carp.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4