Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The final version of DF.  (Read 13926 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The final version of DF.
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:58:01 am »

So, some time in the future (hopefully the distant future) there will be one final official update before Toady either gets sick of coding the game and moves on to something else (hopefully something even more awesome) or dies.

What do you think it will be like?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: The final version of DF.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:08:11 am »

Some freakishly skinny guy in a blank-faced mask has been staring into my window.  It's really disturbing, so I'm going to go tell him to bother someone else before I get back to coding.

OR

Lighting's implemented, though not without bugs.  Some human, let's call him Jack, decided he didn't like stubbing his toe on all the boulders lying around and had picked up a candle.  Jack wandered right into a booze stockpile, though, and that ended about as well as you'd exp
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:32:53 am »

Some freakishly skinny guy in a blank-faced mask has been staring into my window.  It's really disturbing, so I'm going to go tell him to bother someone else before I get back to coding.

OR

Lighting's implemented, though not without bugs.  Some human, let's call him Jack, decided he didn't like stubbing his toe on all the boulders lying around and had picked up a candle.  Jack wandered right into a booze stockpile, though, and that ended about as well as you'd exp

This.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:36:09 am »

Dwarf Fortress v1.00.00a will be able to think and grow organically, and self replicate, and spread, to consume the entire Earth.

Dude, what? Booze shouldn't be quite that volatile. Even if he was walking around with an open candle, Jack would have been able to smell the alcohol from miles away if it was concentrated enough in the air to igni
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 11:40:17 am »

It has a control scheme SLIGHTLY MORE COMPLICATED then ruling a small universe. Thus, df becomes a controllable pocket dimension. WE BECOME GODS BECAUSE DF.

Even with a candle, jack must be blind to not notice the boo

Ha, I shot him. No more of that nonsense with CJ!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:12 am »

hmm, time to test that.

candlejack, candlejack, candl
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:48 am »

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if v1.0 is the first version he releases as open-source.

And isn't the whole Candlejack meme getting a little stale now? Bet he doesn't have [TRAPAVOID] anyway.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:11:52 pm »

Jack wandered right into a booze stockpile, though, and that ended about as well as you'd exp
Even if he was walking around with an open candle, Jack would have been able to smell the alcohol from miles away if it was concentrated enough in the air to igni
Even with a candle, jack must be blind to not notice the boo
candlejack, candlejack, candl

Oh, I get it.  It's all a clever way of saying that the game will remain forever unfinished.  See?  Clever.

I knew I could count on the Dwarf Fortress forum.

--Rexfelum

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »

Nah, look up "candlejack". Some old meme from a cartoon show or something.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 12:23:19 pm »

Who now has a gaping hole through his face.

Now, "black mage", he's a different sto
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:31:11 pm »

"Candyman " is an old horrorflick.

anyway the devlog could look like this:

"Time slows now down for fast moving objects hehehe. I got into a argument with a philosopher dwarf in adv mode because of that. Turns out they discovered Relativity. Damn i need more restrictions on this ai. Made some additions to the Dna-constructing toolset for modders. "
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:33:01 pm »

"Time slows now down for fast moving objects hehehe. I got into a argument with a philosopher dwarf in adv mode because of that. Turns out they discovered Relativity. Damn i need more restrictions on this ai. Made some additions to the Dna-constructing toolset for modders. "
I love it. nice touch on the laugh, too.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 12:35:58 pm »

Oh, I get it.  It's all a clever way of saying that the game will remain forever unfinished.  See?  Clever.

I knew I could count on the Dwarf Fortress forum.
Nah, look up "candlejack". Some old meme from a cartoon show or something.

Would you like me to link you to a page on sarcasm, or are you all set?

--Rexfelum

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 12:59:58 pm »

the trick to saying Jack's name is to praise him in the act.

For exampe:

"Candle jack, hes a pretty cool guy, interrupts people's sentences and doesn't afraid of anythi-"
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 01:05:12 pm »

Okay, my cold feels better. There was a weird guy with a hood and a scythe, but he wandered into a cage trap. I should be back to coding by tomorrow.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4