Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine jobs enabled without Adamantine discovery  (Read 1621 times)

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adamantine jobs enabled without Adamantine discovery
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

I never found any adamantine in my fortress, but the jobs related to adamantine spontaneously became enabled.  This happened around the turn of Winter, year 1059.  To check and see if I had discovered some adamantine, I backed up my save and ran reveal.exe on it.  Even with every tile revealed, there was absolutely no adamantine on the map.  What gives?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine jobs enabled without Adamantine discovery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

I had the same problem, but adamantine tasks were enabled from the very beginning.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Obvious questions for you both:

- Did you use ANY mods?  We don't know for sure how that flag is triggered (though this would still be a bug).

- Similarly, did you use ANY hacks?

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

The only mod I am using is DR's tileset. other than that, everything else is vanilla.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:15:00 pm »

All my fortresses have had Adamantium tasks enabled from the beginning.  I didn't realize this was a bug.  I am also using vanilla (except with clay loam enabled as sand--I needed the glass) with DR's tileset.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

Back in 33b, I think it was, I noticed that I had the extract strands job available from the craftsdwarf's shop at the beginning. If that's the task in question, then I can verify that I've seen it as well in vanilla DF. I didn't really think of it as a bug, but I suppose if magma shops aren't available until you hit magma... Maybe it always shows up because Toady doesn't have a way to hide the strand extraction labour setting yet?
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Just chiming in to say I didn't realize it was a bug either, but yeah, adamantine jobs have always been available in every DF game I've played, and the only mods I'm running are tileset replacements.  Basically, vanilla DF.

Every version from... 33d on, I think?  That's when I picked DF back up again after the 3d version came out and it's been something I notice every time.

Is it really a bug?

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

I used completely vanilla raws and no hacks.  The change that I'm talking about is that adamantine appeared as a choice for material in the metalsmith's forge in year 1060 when it had not been available as a choice for the first nine years of the fortress.  I had zero units of adamantine in any form, and it was only after I backed up my save and used the reveal utility that I confirmed that adamantine was not even present on the map.  I've just now reloaded my back up, and it's the same.  No adamantine at all, but it spontaneously appeared as an option around the turn of 1060.

Oh, and it's version 33g, but the world was generated and the fortress begun on 33e.  The save was carried over several games years ago, and this is the first unusual thing I have noticeed, though.

[ January 16, 2008: Message edited by: Javis ]

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

All games I played also have adamantine enabled... Probably a feature.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:34:00 pm »

Hypothesis: Another fort in your civ discovered adamantine, and since it's now technically available (for trade maybe?) the jobs were enabled.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

I like that hypothesis, but I don't think the game simulates other forts while playing.  Maybe its time based, maybe it happened when you changed versions and didn't notice until now.  My fort in 33f has Adamantine as a metal option, but NOT as a smelting option.  Did you discover a hidden magma section or anything like that?  Its strange for it to suddenly appear.

I tried making a new fort in 33f, built a non-magma forge and it had adamantine as an option.  I shouldn't be running DF at work though, thats why its old version   ;)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:43:47 am »

I have had this bug as long as I can remember, and like many here never thought twice about it. that is until I was teaching my girlfriend to play it and one day I noticed she had adamantine wafers jobs in her smelter list. I told her that you cant make adamantine until you find the ore and she said no it works, and sure enough she had adamantine wafers galore. I went back to my current fortress and tried the same and now I have two adamantine wafers in my bar stockpile. I ahve not found adamantine, I have not extracted strands or anything else like that. Nothing is being used in the reaction and I can make infinite amounts.

I have put minor mods on my game and its an old directory but I ahve never edited the reactions. My reactions raw file is as follows:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know this file is not the whole story as it lists only some of the possible smelter reactions. I also noticed that there are no reagents in any of the reactions but with gold and iron it uses up the reagents as normal. Obviously I am missing something. What is going on.

40d for the record.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:11 am »

Your reaction_standard.txt has most definitely been modified if there are no REAGENT entries. Hell, you even have new 2 reactions at the end that both create 20 gold bars out of nothing (even though one of them was apparently supposed to create iron), something which certainly does not exist in the vanilla version. Either you edited your reactions to cheat a long time ago and forgot about it, or you downloaded a modded version that added the cheats for you.

The proper contents of reaction_standard.txt are as follows. Note that you will have to regenerate your world afterwards, since the "make precious gold" and "make iron" reactions won't be there anymore.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Incidentally, while the 2D version explicitly hid all adamantine-related jobs from all workshops and the job manager until you actually found it, the 3D version starts with it all available but effectively unusable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:34:23 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:36:51 pm »

It's probably this one, just above the "make gold"

[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:make adamantine wafers]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]