Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ore cluster  (Read 1390 times)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
ore cluster
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:14 am »

three z-levels made of solid magnetite ore. nothing else.
CANNOT FIND BITUMINOUS COAL.
WHY?
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ore cluster
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:23 am »

Well, I guess that means you have the site for your bedrooms. And dining room. And offices. And your material for furniture and crafts.

Might not have coal, but there are other ways to take advantage of that.

(Is that three z-levels of SOLID magnetite? Like, no plain old rocks between deposits, just magnetite from east to west? Holy shit.)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:36:38 am »

As for not finding coal, dig down. Eventually you'll hit something that makes it so you don't need coal(or gloriously die trying). Unless you wanted to make steel. Then you'd need wood for that, and if you don't have that, you're pretty much boned. And no, bone equipment isn't that great.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:07:48 am »

As for not finding coal, dig down. Eventually you'll hit something that makes it so you don't need coal(or gloriously die trying). Unless you wanted to make steel. Then you'd need wood for that, and if you don't have that, you're pretty much boned. And no, bone equipment isn't that great.

Wood and/or charcoal and/or coke can be imported from merchants.

To answer the original post, have you tried Exploratory Mining? Also Lignite can be turned into 2 units of coke in the same way Bituminous Coal can be made into 3. Obviously it's not as efficient but it's better than nothing if you've found some of it.

There are other "cheatier" ways to find stuff than exploratory mining, the dfhack lib has 2 tools which you may find of use. The first would be dfprospector which simply lists how much of each mineral is available on your map. That will give you some indication of whether your explorations have any chance of being successfull however with the number of z-levels in a typical 0.31.xx embark, you could be searching for a very long time.
The second would be dfreveal which simply pauses the game & then reveals the whole map. If you don't manually unpause the game all you need to do is close dfreveal & it will unreveal all the map again for you so nothing "bad" happens (revealing the whole map will kill your FPS amongst other things).
dfhack also comes with a handy tool called dfvdig which allows you to designate a whole mineral vein or cluster for digging automatically simply by putting the in-game cursor over one of the exposed blocks & then running it. You may find that if you mine out the whole magnetite cluster, there may be other ore veins running through or next to it (quite often when I find Magnetite Clusters I've found Lignite or Bituminous Coal right next to them or, more often, going through them).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 10:55:51 am »

3 Whole zlevels are magnetite? As in you mined it out edge to edge and the "layer" is actually magnetite?

That's pretty crazy. Clusters pretty much can't work like that, as far as I know. Have you been messing with the raws lately?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:36:47 am »

3 Whole zlevels are magnetite? As in you mined it out edge to edge and the "layer" is actually magnetite?

That's pretty crazy. Clusters pretty much can't work like that, as far as I know. Have you been messing with the raws lately?
Well, I went "what the heck how bad can it mess thing up" and was running three copies of DF. (quad-core CPU being put to proper use).
Yes, three entire layers of magnetite. nothing else.
then a few layers of magnetite/SMR.
WHERE THE HELL IS MY COTTON CANDY.
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 02:54:56 am »

Well, I went "what the heck how bad can it mess thing up" and was running three copies of DF. (quad-core CPU being put to proper use).

was running three copies of DF.

problem located, lol.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 04:13:17 am »

How is that a problem? He's just multitasking to the extreme...Wonder if that could be made into an extreme sport.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 05:01:01 am »

How is that a problem? He's just multitasking to the extreme...Wonder if that could be made into an extreme sport.
Well, you can have a maximum of N-1 dwarf fortresses open, where N is the number of cores your CPU has. You'll also need around N GB ram, but that should be fine.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 05:42:45 am »

Now I've gotta get that 6 core processor from AMD. 5 simultaneous DF games anyone?

Heh, start with the same save on all 5, have all 5 showing at once, and run a script to send keypresses to all 5 together and play them at the same time. See how long it takes before things are too different between them to continue.

Btw, does this count as multi-threaded DF?
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 10:53:02 am »

Now I've gotta get that 6 core processor from AMD. 5 simultaneous DF games anyone?

Heh, start with the same save on all 5, have all 5 showing at once, and run a script to send keypresses to all 5 together and play them at the same time. See how long it takes before things are too different between them to continue.

Btw, does this count as multi-threaded DF?

No, it doesn't.  Still very nice though.

Well, you can have a maximum of N-1 dwarf fortresses open, where N is the number of cores your CPU has. You'll also need around N GB ram, but that should be fine.

Not really a problem.  And to be safe, I'd want N*2.5 GB of RAM, tbh. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 05:56:29 am »

Not really a problem.  And to be safe, I'd want N*2.5 GB of RAM, tbh.
only if you are generating large maps/embarking on a large area

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:53 am »

That quite sounds like duplicated layer/stone raws.
I played around with that and ended up on a cotton candy layer.
Was quite nice until the very first goblin ambush made me abadon it :<

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

That quite sounds like duplicated layer/stone raws.
I played around with that and ended up on a cotton candy layer.
Was quite nice until the very first goblin ambush made me abadon it :<

If you want one of those, just throw this in your inorganic_stone_layer raw file:

[INORGANIC:RAW_ADAMANTINE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:raw adamantine][DISPLAY_COLOR:3:7:1][TILE:154]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[SEDIMENTARY]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:250]
[SPEC_HEAT:7500]
[MELTING_POINT:25000]
[BOILING_POINT:50000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:200]
[THREAD_METAL:ADAMANTINE:100]
[IS_STONE]

I would remove it from inorgnaic_Stone_mineral and give something else useless like puddingstone or somesuch the [DEEP_SPECIAL] tag, but you could just go with that and see what happens too. Heck, you might even be able to try adding [SEDIMENTARY] to the raw adamantine in inorganic_stone_mineral, i'm going to try that out of plain curiosity now.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:33:15 pm by Zaik »

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »

whee

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gonna embark really quick and make sure there's not a bazillion holes into the circus or something silly.

Behold, the holy land:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The map, once revealed, appears to be totally normal, aside from two of the four adamantine sticks downstairs not breaking entirely through the semi-molten rock. Not that it matters or anything, with seven full layers of the stuff.

DFProspector won't show the quantity of the layered stuff though, which is pretty normal. Just stick that [SEDIMENTARY] into the raw adamantine item in inorganic_stone_mineral and you get that.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:58:49 pm by Zaik »