Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever planning a visit to Yahtzee's bar  (Read 927 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Duke Nukem Forever planning a visit to Yahtzee's bar
« on: October 13, 2010, 05:22:33 pm »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104341-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Having-Drinks-With-Yahtzee

Personally, I expect this to utterly fall apart.  If there's one thing I've learned about big video game developers these days, it's that when the moment comes, the angels sing, and all the planets are perfectly aligned, they mess everything up so bad that we wonder how they keep themselves afloat (or alive).  I'm pretty much expecting the Duke Nukem Forever game to be an utterly bland FPS that will only be appreciated by the usual FPS players.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Nukem Forever planning a visit to Yahtzee's bar
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:24:18 pm »

Thou art faithless, and the Duke will spurn thy pleas when he returns.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 03:45:03 am »

Actually, watching the trailer, it looked really, really bland. Hell, even the sound of the guns was pissweak and uninspiring. This is Duke Nukem, the game has been in development for years and if each pistol shot does not shake my teeth damn near clean out and teleport hot people into my room and make their clothes fall off, what the fuck were they doing all that time?

Hot people, Gearbox. Make it happen.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:22 am »

Duke get in here now.  Teach these fools.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:05 am »

Actually, watching the trailer, it looked really, really bland. Hell, even the sound of the guns was pissweak and uninspiring. This is Duke Nukem, the game has been in development for years and if each pistol shot does not shake my teeth damn near clean out and teleport hot people into my room and make their clothes fall off, what the fuck were they doing all that time?

Hot people, Gearbox. Make it happen.
Sitting on their asses eating cake and getting fat?
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:41 am »

More likely every time a new engine/technology came out they tried to lump it in, things got bloated, designers said "Fuck it" and started again, more crap gets piled on, restarted again, etc. I'm betting most of the game was designed and made in the last two years.

Although it wouldn't hurt to do what Gears of War did and make every gun sound like the apocalypse, and have explosions sound like the ones in Company of Heroes.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 03:18:56 am »

Thanks, Duke.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"