Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mining accident involving quantum vacuum leaves 6 dead.  (Read 6275 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining accident involving quantum vacuum leaves 6 dead.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 10:36:44 am »

... No-one talking about how to weaponize this yet? I'm disappointed in you Bay12.

Still it's interesting to know this can happen- I'd always assumed there wasn't any air pressure.

Pfft, weaponized cave-ins are old tech.

Make a constructed roof that isn't attached by anything. Support it from a constructed support in the middle. Building destroyer attacks the support, roof collapses in on them. Easy!

bdunwithat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »

sure, weaponizing cave-ins are old, but weaponizing airpressure is the wave of the future! :D

anyone done any !!SCIENCE!! to see how it really works/if its really the air pressure doing it?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 03:41:10 pm »

Cave-ins create a big cloud of dust. Anything caught in the cloud of dust will be sucked into the center of the cave in. If that happens to be into a pit, then they end up in the pit.

Instead of the ceiling falling in, you can instead build a floor and link it to the ceiling with a support. Around the flood build a bunch of grates which don't provide any structural support but will allow things to walk over it. Should the support be taken out, either by a building destroyer or a lever, the floor, everything on the floor, and everything nearby caught in the dust will be sucked into the pit. You can build that floor over magma, water, or just a 20Z level fall.

Only problem with this sort of setup is that its a one-shot deal, and rebuilding the trap will take some time.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »

... No-one talking about how to weaponize this yet? I'm disappointed in you Bay12.

Still it's interesting to know this can happen- I'd always assumed there wasn't any air pressure.

Pfft, weaponized cave-ins are old tech.

Make a constructed roof that isn't attached by anything. Support it from a constructed support in the middle. Building destroyer attacks the support, roof collapses in on them. Easy!

false; building destroyers of any sort no longer attack supports. Pretty sure it came in 31.01.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:35 pm »

Cave-ins create a big cloud of dust. Anything caught in the cloud of dust will be sucked into the center of the cave in. If that happens to be into a pit, then they end up in the pit.

Instead of the ceiling falling in, you can instead build a floor and link it to the ceiling with a support. Around the flood build a bunch of grates which don't provide any structural support but will allow things to walk over it. Should the support be taken out, either by a building destroyer or a lever, the floor, everything on the floor, and everything nearby caught in the dust will be sucked into the pit. You can build that floor over magma, water, or just a 20Z level fall.

Only problem with this sort of setup is that its a one-shot deal, and rebuilding the trap will take some time.
Shouldn't be too difficult if you plan ahead and have a retracted bridge that leads out to the support position when extended.  Just flip the lever, walk out onto the now extended bridge and start (re)building the support and floor area.  Right?  (Caution: noob proposing high-end architectural engineering ... use at own risk. :D)

[edit] durn typo
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:11:02 am by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »

Nah. I prefer two things: Real combat (dwarves run out and flay the enemy with various melee weapons) and very unusual punishment. In this case, I plan on removing the invaders' floor privileges.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 12:07:44 am »

Shouldn't be too difficult if you plan ahead and have a retracted bridge that leads out to the support position when extended.  Just flip the level, walk out onto the now extended bridge and start (re)building the support and floor area.  Right?  (Caution: noob proposing high-end architectural engineering ... use at own risk. :D)
doesn't work, as bridges do not support anything, and I'm pretty sure you need to have some sort of floor tile to place the support.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 01:13:16 am »

darn.  i was hoping the ceiling tile would be enough for the support, and would then allow you to place a new (attached) floor tile to work everything else off of.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 08:23:11 am »

darn.  i was hoping the ceiling tile would be enough for the support, and would then allow you to place a new (attached) floor tile to work everything else off of.
I dunno. It will probably complain about "no floor"
Also I didn't know you could walk onto tiles with supports on them.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 08:30:10 am »

Also I didn't know you could walk onto tiles with supports on them.

Dwarves linking up supports to levers stand on the supports just fine in my forts.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 10:41:52 am »

it works... I set several caged two-humped camels and a caged monkey above a cave-in and sure enough they were sucked in as their cages opened....  lever was connected to the support and cages...
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 11:00:48 am »

Shouldn't be too difficult if you plan ahead and have a retracted bridge that leads out to the support position when extended.  Just flip the level, walk out onto the now extended bridge and start (re)building the support and floor area.  Right?  (Caution: noob proposing high-end architectural engineering ... use at own risk. :D)
doesn't work, as bridges do not support anything, and I'm pretty sure you need to have some sort of floor tile to place the support.
actually, you can cause a cave in pretty easily by linking a bridge to another bridge, the latter unsupported, then switch the first up. I don't know if it can hurt anyone not on the bridge tho...
Pages: 1 2 [3]