Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mining accident involving quantum vacuum leaves 6 dead.  (Read 6271 times)

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining accident involving quantum vacuum leaves 6 dead.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 01:40:23 pm »

I still don't understand how even one tile of stalactite can suck in a bunch of dwarves who were over 20 feet away and around a corner, unless the thing was made out of pure slade or Neutronium.

I think it's volume that matters, not density. What surprises me is that the game engine would actual model air pressure.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »

Armok was bored and used a cave in as an excuse to have some Fun with his little dwarves?
I don't need a signature.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »

I know, but why the baby wasn't dragged down, too is a mystery to me. Even more so why the baby got injured when it wasn't anywhere near falling debris.
Mother dwarf is champion thrower and punted it to safety, fall damage doubled due to being punted out a deep pit?

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »

... No-one talking about how to weaponize this yet? I'm disappointed in you Bay12.

Still it's interesting to know this can happen- I'd always assumed there wasn't any air pressure.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 05:43:07 pm »

I've always wondered why this happens. Whenever my miners cave in a tile, they end up falling down the hole; shouldn't the dust propel them away? Anyone have a Dorfscience answer?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »

Perhaps all the mass causes a temporary black hole.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »

Like Jenga. But with dragons.

Sigging.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »

I still don't understand how even one tile of stalactite can suck in a bunch of dwarves who were over 20 feet away and around a corner, unless the thing was made out of pure slade or Neutronium.

I think it's volume that matters, not density. What surprises me is that the game engine would actual model air pressure.
Volume matters more than density but bother are important if you consider extreme examples. A solid gob of neutrons the size or your fist would be immensely dense but not need to move much air. On the other hand if you had something solid with very low density, like aerogel, you could probably drop something the size of you biggest legendary dining room and not really push air around hard enough to suck someone over an edge.

We all knew that cave ins seemed to suck people over edges a lot more intensely in DF 2010 but Jesus Atheist Christ- this is way beyond the obvious intention.
Oh well, I never liked caving things in by mining away the last tile anyway. I originally learned how to link levers to things for causing collapses.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 11:53:33 pm »

Volume matters more than density but bother are important if you consider extreme examples. A solid gob of neutrons the size or your fist would be immensely dense but not need to move much air. On the other hand if you had something solid with very low density, like aerogel, you could probably drop something the size of you biggest legendary dining room and not really push air around hard enough to suck someone over an edge.

We all knew that cave ins seemed to suck people over edges a lot more intensely in DF 2010 but Jesus Atheist Christ- this is way beyond the obvious intention.
Oh well, I never liked caving things in by mining away the last tile anyway. I originally learned how to link levers to things for causing collapses.

I wish we could do it with a small amount of explosives and a few hundred feet of det cord.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 12:08:21 am »

I wish we could do it with a small amount of explosives and a few hundred feet of det cord.
Other than the names of things how would that be different? Placing the support is like drilling some holes and sticking explosives into the tile. If you didn't mine most of it away anyway you'd just waste it when you triggered it.

You could probably adjust your tileset so the o's with different facing slashes looked more like the little box with the horizontal bar that you push down to trigger explosives in old timey mine theme places though.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 12:27:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Other than the names of things how would that be different? Placing the support is like drilling some holes and sticking explosives into the tile. If you didn't mine most of it away anyway you'd just waste it when you triggered it.

You could probably adjust your tileset so the o's with different facing slashes looked more like the little box with the horizontal bar that you push down to trigger explosives in old timey mine theme places though.

Actually, detonators get attached to this little box that you can easily pick up and use without it sitting on the ground. hook the wires up, stick a key in, flip a switch and then press the button - at least with the ones I've got experience with.

*Insert kaboom here*

Actually though, drilling holes and blowing them up moves a lot more rock a lot faster than actually digging it - unless it's something really soft like coal.  Of course, then you get gravel, and not chunks of stone, which means explosives are bad if you want a solid piece.  Unless, of course, you wouldn't mind sitting there gluing the pieces back together.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 12:32:57 am »

... No-one talking about how to weaponize this yet? I'm disappointed in you Bay12.

Still it's interesting to know this can happen- I'd always assumed there wasn't any air pressure.

Oh, it can be weaponized. Just dig 3x3 pits 10 z-levels deep in important passages and drop a 3x3 constructed floor from the level above (if the room above is 5x5 and the only connection to the floors is the support you're breaking) down the shaft and anything in up to a dozen tiles could be sucked in to their rock-hard doom, then just attach it to a pressure plate and watch the Fun fly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 01:39:24 am »

To my understanding dust flings things in more or less random direction, so all your dwarves going to the whole is just bad luck. I know dust can move things up and down z-level from playing around with dust breath attacks in modding, this can include slamming something into the floor tile it's standing on with out moving it in some cases. I've even seen bits of furniture flung to a lower level through a stair case.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 09:32:36 am »

Actually, I do plan to weaponize the pit by creating a 25+ z-level drop from the entrance bridge into the pit. The amount of siegers that are appearing are overwhelming the gauntlet of traps I have, and some of them are learning how to dodge the weapons entirely. Not evade the traps; Dodge the weapons.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 09:47:03 am »

Actually, I do plan to weaponize the pit by creating a 25+ z-level drop from the entrance bridge into the pit. The amount of siegers that are appearing are overwhelming the gauntlet of traps I have, and some of them are learning how to dodge the weapons entirely. Not evade the traps; Dodge the weapons.

You can make a long straight passage with a far drop on either side with weapon traps:

Code: [Select]

X = wall
_ = open space
W = weapon trap
- = floor
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X____________________________X
--WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW--
X____________________________X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

They will dodge, but each time they do there is a chance they will dodge off the edge into the abyss below.

Pages: 1 [2] 3