Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What does death feel like?  (Read 7798 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: What does death feel like?
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:07 pm »

Ah, but if you had some sense of the passing of time, then that's not nothing.  Hell I'd call that supremely comforting.  If you can "feel" pure nothing, it would mean that consciousness persists.
Don't think so, im not sure whether being trapped for all eternity in a featureless void is really better then nothingness.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 08:16:17 pm »

Who says you'd experience time in the same way?

Filiusenox, you say no pain no emotion.  Was it a total blackout, or was it something different?  Would you be able to distinguish between it and a brief dreamless unconsciousness (like, someone clocks you on the head)?

Five seconds is NOT a long time, but from the way you talk about it, it sounds like it left a real mark.  I'm just wondering why.  If you really didn't experience anything whatsoever, then what made such a big impression...and how do you know that something else might not have happened after ten, twenty seconds, or a day?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »

I've thought about this before, and if it is truly just complete nothingness, it's kind of hard to grasp. If it's nothingness then you wouldn't really realize anything. It's kind of hard for me to imagine what true nothingness would be like. In some ways this kind of scares me... I like to believe that something exists after death but that as well is difficult for me to believe as well. All we can truly say is that only the dead know what it feels like (or doesn't feel like).

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:10 pm »

All we can truly say is that only the dead know what it feels like (or doesn't feel like).

Or that the dead don't know what it doesn't feel like.   ;D

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:08 pm »

Y'know, i'm curious enough about death just enough so I wouldn't mind it happening.

The events leading to it though...
Everybody!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »

Falling is great, the problem is hitting the ground?

Yeah, same with me.  I'm cool with it.  I've just, you know, got other plans right now.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2010, 06:05:21 pm »

I've planned my death. Parachute into a volcano once I've seen my grandkids. If it goes awesome, I dip out of sight before the thermals lift me back up and let me glide to a landing. If it goes right, the thermals keep me from dropping at all while I'm over it, and I land like normal. If it goes wrong, I crash into the volcano and probably die on impact. Terribly wrong, the thermals don't do shit and I land in the lava. Awesomely wrong, I dip out of sight and die from being too close to the lava, then the thermals bring my flaming corpse out and I raze the land as I fall.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:07 pm »

Most likely, sadly, is "thermals make my parachute uncontrollable and possibly melt it, while suffocating me horribly with lung-burning sulfur before I even touch down".  :(

Still totally awesome though.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2010, 09:24:51 pm »

Plan for death:
1) commit seemingly minor crime, enough to warrant arrest but not enough to warrent lethal force.
2) Hijack cop car and drive at high speeds to the neareast source of volatile materials.
3) Turn on speaker system and scream something like "Seriously! Who fucking farted!?" or "Who ate all the Goddamned Peanut Butter!?" just before contact with volatile explosives
4) Die in fiery Hellstorm of death.
5) confuse the hell out of any people who heard my final words.

acknowledgements: Inpired my comedian Nick Swardson
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

If my religion is wrong (Christianity) then I think my most preferred thing to happen after death would be endlessly dreaming. The bullet smashes into your brain, your last coherent thought is "now I dream", and then endlessly float from one dream to the next, each one feeling like some familiar segment of the life you're slowly forgetting..

And maybe that's what my personal slice of heaven could be like.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 01:53:07 am »

It was different from passing out and apparently my heart stopped for a bit.

Who says you'd experience time in the same way.

Five seconds is NOT a long time, but from the way you talk about it, it sounds like it left a real mark.  I'm just wondering why.  If you really didn't experience anything whatsoever, then what made such a big impression...and how do you know that something else might not have happened after ten, twenty seconds, or a day?

I don't. But still it was weird, aftwerward I felt really wierd-like incredibily scared-when I thought about it which in itself was weird because nothing happened.At all.
Ah, but if you had some sense of the passing of time, then that's not nothing.  Hell I'd call that supremely comforting.  If you can "feel" pure nothing, it would mean that consciousness persists.
Don't think so, im not sure whether being trapped for all eternity in a featureless void is really better then nothingness.
If this was true i'd try to off myself.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »

If this was true i'd try to off myself.
Kill yourself to escape death?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 12:47:48 am »

I've been dead for the past 13.7 billion years, and I can say without a doubt, it hasn't bothered me one bit.

Before death, however, you go through all sorts of wonky. If you ever pass out and remember it (like if needles make you pass out, or some similar effect), it is quite the interesting memory; and that is when you are more or less fine. When your brain is slowly shutting down and dieing, it would be hella trippy for the minute or two before you die. Asuming of course a slow, peaceful death.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:52 am »

I can't imagine why any death would be both slow and peaceful. Slow, maybe, but I sure as hell wouldn't go peacefully. I like living, thank you very much.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2010, 02:38:44 am »

I like roller coasters, but I don't throw a fit when they make me disembark at the end of the ride (anymore...)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7