Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Guilty pleasures?  (Read 81657 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty pleasures?
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »

Yeah. Everyone does so. It is nothing to be worried about.

Just so long as you don't go to far or to much and lose your inner sense of self.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2011, 01:41:38 pm »

..... fuck im too open.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2011, 01:44:55 pm »

Yeah. Everyone does so. It is nothing to be worried about.

Just so long as you don't go to far or to much and lose your inner sense of self.

I'm not worried about it.  I just find it kind of funny that I play stupid, rather than playing nice because I'd rather seem buffoonish than declaw myself.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2011, 01:46:40 pm »

I usually do it to distance myself from people. You are less likely to get into an argument with a dick if you're obviously too distracted to notice them (which I frankly often am).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2011, 01:55:45 pm »

Hmm. That sorta dovetails with an odd habit I have of not looking at a person when I'm talking to them. Like, even if they're in my face, my eyes tend to focus on a random spot just past them or beside them, or if I'm walking, a random spot on the ground.

I've heard this behavior is linked to some forms of autism, because actually making and sustaining eye contact is apparently incredibly uncomfortable for many autistic people. But with me, it's purely reflexive. If I make a deliberate attempt to make eye contact (while delivering a speech, for instance), I can without too much problem. But it's still a good too to ignore dipshit coworkers who want to waste my time with small talk. Between that and my steadily declining hearing, I can pretend that I just didn't notice them there.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »

Yeah, I have damned hard time making eye contact without it being some sort of penetrating death-stare.  I spend most of the time when I'm talking or thinking looking to the side, because... well, as I've said before, you can have understanding and output or eye contact, but not both.

Using it to ignore people, though... hmm, that's actually an interesting idea >_> <_<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »

I remember making myself the class clown deliberatly in secondary school, it was impossible for me to get any friends otherwise as I just didn't fit in :/
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2011, 02:04:21 pm »

Hah hah yeah. Making jokes cause you don't fit in with other people.

We have all gone though that hah hah...

Glad we don't have to do that anymore...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2011, 02:05:38 pm »

Does one still count as a class clown if everybody else is one too?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »

Well, class clown more like making an ass of your self and getting in trouble deliberatly.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2011, 02:27:04 pm »

I've heard this behavior is linked to some forms of autism, because actually making and sustaining eye contact is apparently incredibly uncomfortable for many autistic people.

Well, I had problems establishing eye-contact with women, in fear of it being percieved as creepy or uncomfortable.
I'm actually not sure if I've gotten over it yet. At least works when a socially accepted context is given (work/buying things in shops etc.).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2011, 02:30:01 pm »

Yeah, I don't get in trouble, and I don't try to make an ass of myself.  I just add a few "endearingly negative" traits so that my actual bad points can be seen as part of a larger picture, rather than overwhelming.

... Crouching Moron, Hidden Mathematician.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »

... Crouching Moron, Hidden Mathematician.

Sigged

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »

So you adjusted yourself in order to make friends?
Public mask, my friend.

In a similar vein, I made a point of adding "like", "ain't", and several curse words to my vocabulary, as well as cribbing mannerisms from country accents, so I didn't sound so stodgy and intellectual all the time; my way of speaking as a kid seemed to make it hard for my peers to relate to me, and sometimes pissed people off (including my stepdad). I continued to write the same way as I used to speak, though.

These days, there's a huge divide between the way I write and talk, and I probably sound like a different person entirely. I've been trying to reconcile my writing and speaking voice more recently, but it's tough to change when it's so thoroughly ingrained in behavior!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26