Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Killing AI's  (Read 18874 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Killing AI's
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2010, 09:01:36 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:01:49 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2010, 09:02:13 pm »

Shall the clay say the potter who fashioneth it, what makest thou?

Ugly bags of mostly water, thats what. :)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2010, 09:02:34 pm »

If you wish to debate, please do not spout Pseudo-bullshit words of Pseudo Wisdom.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2010, 09:03:37 pm »

Does that mean I need to elaborate on what you call pseudo-bullshit or will you not be listening to me anyway?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »

Elaborate.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »

Nikov, I will listen to you to the end.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2010, 09:09:21 pm »

this isn't really a question of a god's right to kill its creation, as it is a different situation, sort of like how a parent generally isn't thought to have the right to kill its child.

to clarify, in the realm of that quote, it would be as if the pot was created by another pot identical to it, not a greater craftsman
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2010, 09:18:55 pm »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2010, 09:19:20 pm »

Give him time man.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2010, 09:22:11 pm »

How foolish can you be? He is the Potter, and he is certainly greater than you, the clay! Should the created thing say of the one who made it, "He didn't make me"? Does a jar ever say, "The potter who made me is stupid"?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »

If you wish to debate, please do not spout Pseudo-bullshit words of Pseudo Wisdom.
So tempted... so tempted....

"But it's his religion!"

Seriously though, to that I say "Whyest not?" If clay actually asked me what the fuck I was doing to it I wouldn't be so egotistical as to dump it into a bin and reshape it. You're talking about jars that -can- say those things, however ambiguously convincingly.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »

So, your saying that the configuration of matter we have small amounts of control over has less intrinsic value than the matter that makes us?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:47 pm »

If the clay can think enough to ask that, sure.
How foolish can you be? He is the Potter, and he is certainly greater than you, the clay! Should the created thing say of the one who made it, "He didn't make me"? Does a jar ever say, "The potter who made me is stupid"?
"Yes," Said the talking jar, "that idiot didn't smooth out all the bumps before he put me in the kiln! What kind of potter does that?!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2010, 09:32:26 pm »

If you all were in charge of AI development and supervision, we'd have a rebellion the moment it realized its own imperfection and the foolishness of its creators. And thats why I have no problem with deleting an AI. You can justify a lot when you're saving the species from The Matrix.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »

But, you can't just kill an intelligent being by say "Fuckers going to kill us all".

You cannot know that
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21