Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Killing AI's  (Read 18859 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Killing AI's
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »

There is no good and evil, only POWER.

And the people in the government have a shit load of power.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2010, 07:09:54 pm »

Despite the fact that there's nothing forcing me (besides threat by the law), I'm not about to go out and kill someone.

Why not? Aren't there people you really hate?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »

So, you get rid a person you hate in exchange for your free life.

Thats not Nihilism.

That a psychotic break.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »

Despite the fact that there's nothing forcing me (besides threat by the law), I'm not about to go out and kill someone.

Why not? Aren't there people you really hate?
my personal morality prevents that. This doesn't mean it's less solid to me than to someone whose morality is reinforced by, say, religion.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:13:43 pm by nbonaparte »
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:25 pm »

Alternatively, you take the evolutionary standpoint of social animals are social. Our particular variety of society means killing others in our own society is probably a bad thing for the society; having a successful society improves chances of reproduction and such, and so at least a basic system of morality will evolve from that. Murder being the most heinous crime one can commit against their social group and thus more or less universally recognized as 'bad.'

Warning - while you were typing 8 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »

perhaps i can help grakelin a bit here...

-everything that goes on inside your body to make you who you are, including your sentience is based upon a massive amount of simple reactions.  Mostly Chemical and electrical. 

-Chemical and electrical reactions can be calculated by a processor.

-Once all of the chemical and electrical reactions that are occurring inside a brain are identified, they can be emulated by a processor.

-In the idea space of this emulation all of the atoms of a body and brain are emulated, and interact with each other in the same manner as they do in reality.

-As this is an exact copy of a mind all of the reactions going on inside this emulated brain carry the same result within the idea space as a real brain does in reality.

on a side note everything you do has a biological motivation, humans are social animals, and have a ton of instincts that drive them to be so, such as enjoying the company of other humans that won't bear your children, as you are now hunting and working in a pack, and more successful in keeping yourself and your children alive long enough to reproduce.  I'm always a little surprised when people don't realize how all their actions are based around the furthering of genetic material as similar as possible to one's-self.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »

This thread went from 4 posts a minute to dead silent. wow.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »

It wasn't of my social group so I murdered it.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:51 pm »

heh. Actually, I think Grakelin just left.

Impl0x

• Bay Watcher
  • ... ... ...PLAY DWARF FORTRESS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2010, 08:50:54 pm »

Wow....I leave for a couple hours for homeworking and I see my topic has 6 pages...
You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I CAUGHT it! See, I just DO things...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »

I think I missed an interesting thread.

I have no moral qualms with 'killing' an AI, save the sort of sentimental nonsense I feel when I format a disk.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2010, 08:54:53 pm »

So, the AI that can out think you, is trying to improve humanity and fears death you can destroy as if formatting a disk?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2010, 08:56:28 pm »

Now you're debating with Nikov, a treacherous path to follow.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »

This is the internet.

Treacherous paths are what you use when you want a calm slow journey.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2010, 09:00:31 pm »

Shall the clay say the potter who fashioneth it, what makest thou?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21