Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Killing AI's  (Read 18879 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Killing AI's
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2010, 06:29:05 pm »

Okay, why not. Other people (sometimes), accomplishment, knowledge, the universe around me.

Why do those things make you happy?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »

other people is easily reducible to biology. the others aren't. But they do have underlying deterministic reasons dependent on my brain.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2010, 06:35:46 pm »

Okay, what are they? Why do you think they apply to the computer?

Why are you made biologically happy by other people around you? Shouldn't that descriptor only apply to those you are sexually attracted to? I'm not made biologically happy by any of my roommates, but I like having them around.

How do you emulate this in the computer? Can you do it? It has to be precise.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2010, 06:42:30 pm »

You're describing neither sapience nor intelligence, rather the herding mechanism of a pack hunter, and something entirely irrelevant to strong AI.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2010, 06:45:50 pm »

Okay, what are they? Why do you think they apply to the computer?

Why are you made biologically happy by other people around you? Shouldn't that descriptor only apply to those you are sexually attracted to? I'm not made biologically happy by any of my roommates, but I like having them around.

How do you emulate this in the computer? Can you do it? It has to be precise.
Neural networks, and because neural networks can be created in computers.

He said 'for some,' not 'for all,' so technically he could mean purely biological. Although both catagories would fall under neural networks; albiet different locations within them.

Like so.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2010, 06:56:13 pm »

Happiness evolved to reinforce behaviors contributing to successful reproduction. A more obvious example would be orgasms. I'm not about to go all evo-psych and go backwards from the effect to postulate the cause.

Let's let our hypothetical AI programmers be evolution. First, let's assume that the AI's behaviors should attempt to protect its existence. That's its "goal", in the same sense that reproduction is the "goal" of life. Its goal is to survive. How do we do this? Sensations reinforcing useful behaviors and reducing non-useful behaviors is a start. But for that, the AI needs a sense of "this feels good" and "this feels bad". That's simple enough. Adding a pain analogue when it does something liable to endanger it would make sense. And on the other end of the spectrum, adding a positive reinforcement for useful behaviors follows. Expanding, obtaining more processing power, "eating", so to speak. To humans, eating feels good. sleeping feels good. hell, taking a shit is satisfying. All things we need to do to survive. It's simple drives like that. It doesn't matter what the specific behaviors are, but reinforcing behaviors leading to an arbitrary goal like 'self preservation' give rise to what can be perceived as emotion.

Somehow, enjoying the company of others makes me more able to reproduce. Perhaps it's because of humans' status as social animals. Cooperation leads to good for the whole. Accomplishment? nonsexual beauty? knowledge? Concepts like that are the sort of complex things that the basic drives we have combine to create. Emergent properties. It's concepts like those that make intelligence amazing.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »

Okay, so what makes it wrong for us to kill other people?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »

nothing.

Nihilism for the win.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2010, 06:59:40 pm »

I take the nihilistic route, so there's no inherent right or wrong, but the conclusion I personally come to is that I wouldn't want to be killed, and order, a perceived good to society, is disrupted when people kill others.

Edit: pirated by realmfighter. heh.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2010, 07:04:44 pm »

Alright then, moral dilemma solved.

It is perfectly fine to hunt and kill the AIs, because it is perfectly fine to hunt and kill humans.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »

Never said it wasn't.

Its when you get people who aren't Nihilistic bastard going what the fuck is when you get a problem.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »

Easy answer: Kill them, too.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »

They outnumber you 6.9 Billion-1 to one, have all the guns (All of them) and actually know how to kill things.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:27 pm »

I take the nihilistic route, so there's no inherent right or wrong, but the conclusion I personally come to is that I wouldn't want to be killed, and order, a perceived good to society, is disrupted when people kill others.

Edit: pirated by realmfighter. heh.
Yes, there's nothing inherently wrong with any action, but almost all of us have a subjective desire not to die, and so it is in everyone's best interest to foster an environment wherein one's death is least likely, which includes considering wanton murder unacceptable, thus not engaging in it, and punishing it when someone else commits it. Same goes for theft, etc.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »

Ah, you don't quite understand nihilism. There is no inherent morality to the universe. That doesn't mean we can't come up with our own systems to act within. Despite the fact that there's nothing forcing me (besides threat by the law), I'm not about to go out and kill someone. I assume the same of Realmfighter.

argh, too many ninjas. replying to grakelin. And SP, I covered that. "I wouldn't want to be killed". golden rule sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:09:25 pm by nbonaparte »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21