Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are all the towns?  (Read 779 times)

Malygon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Where are all the towns?
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:10:11 pm »

Hey,

I have been playing Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode since yesterday after seeing a lets play. I've been walking around, getting used to the controls, started killing some wolves by gouging their eyes out and playing with their eye sockets until they eventualle bleed to death, becoming a legendary wrestler in progress...

But the one thing that wonders me is that I have yet to find a town. I find them on the world map, I try to travel to them but I am always somewhere in wilderness and using the thing on the upper corner of the screen I am able to map out an area where the towns should be in between. But there are no buildings. I can never find the entrance to a fortress likewise or to a jungle retreat. I only managed once to find 2 buildings in the middle of a large farm and there were like 10 humans in each building... sadly no one offered me a quest.

In the let's play I watched when the guy traveled to a town he was always in an inn. It wasn't 2010 though. Did that change?

Maly

Edit: This has been the case on multiple generated worlds.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:04:54 pm by Malygon »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the towns?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:10:51 pm »

In the current version towns don't work in a way that favors use of Adventure Mode because everything is spread out in what we call "sprawl", which lacks shops, people to recruit, or people to take missions from.

Download version .31.12 or earlier for a game that has villages in it again.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:48 pm »

Well, you can still get quests, it' just a little bit more complicated. But the human civs still have warleaders and law-makers who sometimes have tasks for you. You need to look them up in legends mode to find out where they live though.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:18 pm »

And then it's still hard to find them.

Towns recently got redone and they're in a sort of half-assed unfinished state right now. On the bright side, the next few versions will have much more interesting things for you to genocide, along with related quests that you can get from anyone.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.