Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Insurance Dilemma  (Read 1736 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Insurance Dilemma
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:11:23 am »

Nearly put this in Life Advice, but it's more about me composing my thoughts about a situation than actually asking questions.  Which is not to say that there won't be advice I (or others) should take on board.  Anyway...

It would not be judicious to talk too much about the details, but I recently had a little altercation that necessitates the involvement of insurance companies and, if blame is to be laid, its going to be a mess.  (Not that it isn't already.)

I will not lay out all the pros and cons of either side's arguments, as even in this largely anonymising forum it may have some aspect of sub-judicy and no-one would thank me for stating them so boldly, but I've taken account of anything and everything I could think of (as impartially as I can possibly be, which I think is good enough as I can often be far too self-critical, and also tried to avoid biasing my opinion towards my opposite number) and it comes out in my mind as close enough to 50:50 to not be worth trying to fight my case as long as there is no case being put against me.  There's the distinct possibility that a 'winner' in the adversarial system would be able to benefit from a better settlement than in a no-fault situation, but at the cost of increased administrative costs and no net benefit to all directly concerned.

I would love to be financially more secure in the aftermath, especially as I am far from that in the first place, but I will not do so at the expense of having to be offensive, in any sense of the word, in any legal battle.  Perhaps I am naive about this.  And as it would be unchivalrous to consider myself over-chivalrous, I'd really like to skirt around any such paradoxes.  But I am not currently inclined to claim against anyone for such minor things as the aches and pains and stiff neck that could have been due to the accident but are as likely to be from restlessly sleeping at a funny angle on subsequent nights.

(What's that you say?  Whiplash?  If that pain in my neck is whiplash, I've had worse (albeit that this other was nigh-on unbearable) from violent sneezing in hay-fever season.  I surely shouldn't reach for the pepper and then get myself an MRI scan while the injury remains exacerbated...)

Additionally, the pressure of blame from both parties might even spill out onto the local site of the accident, for example costing the site owners in making legally mandated changes, while a quiet word about the perceived failings might allow improvements without all the fall-out from accusations and counter-accusations forcing anyone else's hands.

I am, however, slave to the fates.  The advice being slung at the other party is doubtless to fight.  Whether that's "The best defence is a good offence" or due to an actual genuine belief of being wholly in the right.  Which puts me in a variation of the classic Prisoner's Dilemma.  Being almost convinced that the other side will end up attempting to press home and advantage, should I similarly attempt to punish them?  Of course, the difference is that it's not a communicationless situation, whose outcome is sealed once both initial decisions have been made, and there are subtleties to the result far beyond the two-by-two outcome box of TPD.  For a start, alongside the insurance companies' own communications, I know that I at least have also been independently contacted by a solicitor seeking to assist me with any as yet non-specific costs arising from the incident.  (Leading to such thoughts as spawned the mention above about injury claims.)

Actually, that gives me cause to thought.  Does every side in such a case automatically get that kind of call?  Probably.  But, if not, could it mean that someone has examined the evidence (such has already been provided, and for my part that's still only been verbal statements) and decided that I am the wronged party and the best to assist?  No, probably not.  We've probably both been called, and the art of such representation is to dynamically assess the likelihood of accruing legal profits as the situation moves on, and that betting will continue on both horses until shortly before one or other crosses the line first (or they both dismount their jockeys).  And I might be inclined to state that I believe that this pessimist viewpoint isn't anywhere near as pessimistic.  If it weren't that yet another paradox arises from such statements.

Anyway, we'll see how things go.  Perhaps this is more a vent, than anything else.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insurance Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

I have no idea what you are attempting to say.

All the information seems to be hidden between complex wording. You are supposed to be writing a rant, not poetry.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Char13magne

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeah, It's Charlemagne, with a sword, by Dürer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »

No, you literally haven't detailed the events of your story/situation in any reasonable or logical manner, and I would say that this particular aspect of your thread should be placed in the category of crucial information for anyone who wants to try and help you, while you have instead only told us what the other person is probably going to do, and probably why. In this case, it might be your discretion, however, which prevents you from relating details, in which case this query should be posed to your lawyer, and not us.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
               Voltaire

"To have another language is to possess a second soul."              
               Charlemagne

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 01:35:27 pm »

And as it would be unchivalrous to consider myself over-chivalrous,

I want to collect a claim from your insurance company for authorial malpractice.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 01:37:04 pm by Footkerchief »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 01:50:51 pm »

Muwahaha, this is deliciously over-written.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »

Thank god I live in Minnesota, home of no fault insurance.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:35:52 pm »

Really off-topic here...but do you guys always post at the same time? I distinctly remember reading your posts before and thinking that it was a double post.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:38 pm »

I recently had a little altercation that requires the involvement of insurance and its going to be a mess.  It may not be worth fighting my case as long as there is no case being put against me.  I would love to be financially more secure, but not at the expense of being offensive in a legal battle.  I'm not inclined to claim anyone for minor things like aches, pains, and a stiff neck that could have come from the accident but are more likely from restless sleep.  Could be whiplash, but sneezing from hay fever hurts worse than this.  Should I get an MRI?

Both parties might even blame the site owners for the accident, but then again, it might not be necessary.  The publicity from the case might encourage them to make the site safer.

[blah blah blah.]

Anyway, we'll see how things go.  Perhaps this is more a vent, than anything else.
Fixed, for the better I hope.  Also, see a doctor if you want proof of injury to use in court.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:42:18 pm by Euld »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:43:33 pm »

Really off-topic here...but do you guys always post at the same time? I distinctly remember reading your posts before and thinking that it was a double post.
We're only missing Realmfighter.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:44:58 pm »

I almost never post with nenjin.

Are you thinking about me and Realmfighter?

We do that because he is the warm water of silliness and I am the cold air of a enabler and together we make a hurricane of stupidity.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:51:41 pm »

What the...
3 similar avatars.

Anyway, what would require the involvement of insurance if you only have a stiff neck and minor aching?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »

We are Legion.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 04:36:36 pm »

TL;DR, if I got anything wrong, Starver, please correct me.

-OP was in a car accident or something similar
-His (presumably untrained) assessment of the facts known to him give around 50% chance of winning if a court case eventuates
-He has been contacted by a solicitor for litigating the incident, if he so chooses
-He is asking for any insight on whether or not he should go for a pre-emptive strike at the other party, and is unaware of whether they plan to litigate at all.
-He also wants to know whether the solicitor's call indicates that there is a case being prepared against him.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

Was there a fourth guy at some point?

I can not find him now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 04:39:21 pm »

TL;DR, if I got anything wrong, Starver, please correct me.

-OP was in a car accident or something similar
-His (presumably untrained) assessment of the facts known to him give around 50% chance of winning if a court case eventuates
-He has been contacted by a solicitor for litigating the incident, if he so chooses
-He is asking for any insight on whether or not he should go for a pre-emptive strike at the other party, and is unaware of whether they plan to litigate at all.
-He also wants to know whether the solicitor's call indicates that there is a case being prepared against him.

A forum like this is probably the worst place to discuss legal issues like this because it would involve tons of private information.

Unless the OP is speaking hypothetically.
Pages: [1] 2