Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: worn items being counted double for fortress wealth?  (Read 635 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
worn items being counted double for fortress wealth?
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

Just noticed, after creating a couple sets of very high quality fullplate for my military, that my Fortress wealth had *Skyrocketed.* I know the plate was worth allot, but not quite this much; of note though is just how closely the increase in 'Armor\Garb' matched up with the increase in the 'Held\worn' fields of fortress wealth. My best guess is that the masterwork plate is being counted as created and counted again as being worn by the military dwarves, effectively doubling its contribution to fortress wealth.

In fact, just did a check: changing my off-duty marksdwarves from leather to plate significantly upped worn but did absolutely nothing to created armour values.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: worn items being counted double for fortress wealth?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

Did your total fortress wealth also change?

It would make sense for the worn items wealth to go up when someone puts on a more valuable piece of armor.  But that shouldn't change the created armor values or the total fortress wealth.

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Crafty Barnardo:
<STRONG>But that shouldn't change the created armor values or the total fortress wealth.</STRONG>

Total Fort Wealth = Created + Displayed + Worn

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

Yeah, the total did go up.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

Held/worn items count double. That's deliberate.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

But that doesn't make any sense.  Why would a piece of armor's value increase just because you put it on?

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

Ever been to a fashion show?

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

If it's deliberate then I guess it's not a bug, but it continues to make absolutely no sense to me.
My fortresses *created* wealth went from 500,000 to 900,000 just because I had the militia upgrade to plate armour that I had allready created. (a great portion of my fortresses wealth was in an artifact boot and artifact greaves that got put on) It just, doesn't really make sense to me, logically, to count that twice.

Of course, it's not especially important either, it just kind of threw me off, to look at my total created wealth and go 'holy cow my plate armour is worth HOW much?' not quite realizing how much of that was in both worn and armour (and how much of it was doubleage on a pair of artifacts)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 01:05:00 am »

This used to be more commonly noticeable when you'd have an artifact creator die: suddenly, your fortress would lose a large fraction of its worth, because the legendary gabbro cabinet was no longer being worn.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:48:00 am »

Well, think about what wealth influences; it's basicly a measure of reputation.

So it only makes sense that you'll seem richer if all your guards are marching about in fancy plate, than if said plate was sitting in a store room gathering dust.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

I still don't buy it.

It just sounds like sloppy accounting to me.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

I think pretty much the only places fortress value is used in are influencing immigration based on merchant reports of wealth (which is more likely to make you move somewhere: "everyone was wearing giant cave spider silk encrusted with sapphires!" or "there was a big pile of encrusted giant cave spider silk in a room somewhere three levels down!"), and for goblin invasions (iirc).
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brainfire:
<STRONG>I think pretty much the only places fortress value is used in are influencing immigration based on merchant reports of wealth (which is more likely to make you move somewhere: "everyone was wearing giant cave spider silk encrusted with sapphires!" or "there was a big pile of encrusted giant cave spider silk in a room somewhere three levels down!"), and for goblin invasions (iirc).</STRONG>

Exactly!

When this is what wealth actually 'means', it makes sense for worn/displayed items to get a big bonus.