Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immense lag caused by... Stairs?  (Read 603 times)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
Immense lag caused by... Stairs?
« on: October 12, 2010, 03:04:58 am »

So, i like digging deep, two to three cavern layers deep. One is absolute minimum, but unfortunately my fps always drops to unacceptable levels.
So, is it true that i can remedy it by using ramps instead of u/d-stairways? i never did anything grand because of this lag...
I don't need a signature.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Immense lag caused by... Stairs?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:12:41 am »

I've had this exact problem and spiraling ramps seems to fix it.

I don't personally like non symmetric stuff, but even making a single up/down stair columns is not enough to fix it.

I find strange that for some other people the situation it's exactly reversed: ramp are laggy and get fixed by using stairs.. it may be related to strange cpu tricks?

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:27:37 am »

I've had this exact problem and spiraling ramps seems to fix it.

I don't personally like non symmetric stuff, but even making a single up/down stair columns is not enough to fix it.

I find strange that for some other people the situation it's exactly reversed: ramp are laggy and get fixed by using stairs.. it may be related to strange cpu tricks?

Asked the same question here not too long ago. And whether one is better than the other really seems to be open to discussion. Testing myself yielded the observation that it's not so much about which is better, it's how much they are actually used. Which ultimately boils down to how many dwarves you have running around. That is something you have to restrict to truly keep FPS up.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:40:38 am »

not at all. when it happens, it's not dependent on dwarves count.

I know that it sounds extremely strange to whom doesn't have that problem, but for those who do, there is no other interpretation possible: stairs, all by themselves, slows the game.

as I said, it seems extremely dependent on the computer set up at this point.

those who doesn't have this problem will always come to tell that aren't the stairs, based on what, I don't know, as they don't have the problem so they cannot really relate. this is what opens up the 'debate' where really there is no need to debate it. for some people are the stairs, plain and simple.

it may help to have some census between the stair problem presenting and the computer setup. it may be a particular cpu brand, or memory sizing, or memory cas, dunno.