Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The great 2x2 starting site search!  (Read 1934 times)

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The great 2x2 starting site search!
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

"DEV NOTE: allowed embark rectangle to be 2x2"

Minifort, awesome!

In preparation for the upcoming version, then: What is the coolest / most feature rich 2x2 starting site you can find? (Remember, the seed needs to be generated without a custom title for it to generate properly in the next version.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: The great 2x2 starting site search!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

The reason the worlds were different is because it seeded the generator before the name was generated, so the few random calculations that it did in choosing the name alter the starting state vs. custom named worlds.  The only there there was to do was to move the naming code above.  I'm not even sure looking at custom-named worlds will give the new ones, because there was some camera centering code I also moved to avoid more problems in the future.  But I should be releasing the next version tomorrow, on the bright side.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Hooray for 2x2 embark size! Hooray more insane speed! Hooray for Toady!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »

Aww, so that means seed compatibility will be broken again?

Honestly, seed compatibility matters more to me than save compatibility- building up a huge archive of well documented neat starting spots does a whole lot to offset the currently unreliable features...

But 2x2 fortresses? This is great news indeed! Now perhaps, between this and the tree-line rewrite, you could actually start a viable fortress on a named mountain. A fortress with a hundred some odd z levels would be really cool...

I'm pretty sure I've never seen two features take up the same tile (though I may be wrong about that) so at best you could only get up to 4 features... Though I imagine that's enough: Magma, pits, chasm, water... Sand and wood are pretty important too... Heh, it'd be really rare, but that's a site worth looking for.

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:22:00 pm »

Although this was kind of a special case, there's not that much that can be done about seeds breaking.  Relying on the RNG to generate content makes it sensitive to this kind of thing.  Most of the breaks during the army arc will be during the history generation, which shouldn't matter to anybody, but a lot goes on during world gen and it draws out of various parts of the game, so it's sort of hard to build in safeguards.  It would be nice if there could be more stopping places where it could reseed or take an alternate seed (like a world seed that gets a wildlife seed applied to it, for example) but the way rejects sometimes need to go back to the beginning the way things are now, it's not easy to make that matter.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 03:56:00 am »

Already had a small lava tube (spanning only 2-3 Z levels), the pits and 2 chasm tiles on a 2 by 2 area... it was on 33f with the klustered kimberlite modification.
Good luck to settle in such an area  :)

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

Sieges will be fun with 2x2  :D

Siege starts...  3 seconds later everyone is dead.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

Will seed 0 still give no failures?
Eh?
Eh!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 02:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>Will seed 0 still give no failures?</STRONG>

Nope. It has plenty of rejects now (not sure how many yet - still generating)

I'm going to have to find a new seed to test things with.

:)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

Toady, how hard would it be to rig a way to use a reject-candidate world anyway? You use some margins of acceptability for qualifying a world for the next stage, but maybe add an option (in the ini, of course) to allow a user to see why exactly the world is going to be rejected, and see if the generator can complete the world regardless of flaws? A sort of a crash-prone feature it would be, no doubt, but if it won't affect the rest of the game?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »

You know what I'd like? being able to start up with a smaller site size and THEN gradually expand that while in-game. So if you start on a 2x2 site, you could later slowly add more space to your settlement..I don't think it should be impossible to code, but it might be a bit hard...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

I've found a couple of settlable 2x2 maps with magma and pits.  They are otherwise boring, though.

I don't know how to make the wiki images show up here in the forums, so here's a link:
seed1 2x2 boring

If we allow 3x2, I found one that looks interesting.
seed1 3x2 haunted

Being able to expand your settlement sounds like a quite nice idea.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 02:48:00 pm »

If somebody finds a 2x2 involving 3 tiles of major river wihtout aquifier in a cold/freezing area, i would greatly appreciate it if you tell me about it.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

Here's a 2x2 map with magma and pits that's only a bit more interesting than 0x517A5D's:

Seed: 3590640052

It's got a Joyous Wilds mountain (giant eagles, mountain gnomes, etc.) as well as an untamed wilds tropical freshwater swamp- in other words, every tree that's not a willow is a highwood, and there are a lot of trees that aren't willows. It should also be rolling in whipvine.

It's got red sand, plenty of copper (to train up your future adamantine-smiths), gold, a bit of tetra-whatever (the billon stuff), obsidian in large quantities, as well as more than a few rock crystals (though I think their importance to moods has been lessened in recent versions...)

Unfortunately it's scorching so the murky pools will probobly dry up...

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 08:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>Here's a 2x2 map with magma and pits that's only a bit more interesting than 0x517A5D's:
 :D
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF
Pages: [1] 2