Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves  (Read 626 times)

Stenbein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:42:22 am »

Any rational reason why they want to wear leather by default? I can force them to wear metal, but... does it slow them down or anything?

I just lost my entire crop from last year due to a combination of poor management and goblin pikemen. I figure now is the time to make it right.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:46:26 am »

Heavier armour slows them down, if their strength is below a certain limit. (Don't ask me what it is)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:08 pm »

I'd let them have their way if I were you. It's probably to your advantage if they can pull back quickly whenever the enemy's in danger of getting into melee range, and if they're firing from behind fortifications then armour's somewhat superfluous.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Stenbein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »

Just trying to lessen the odds that they die. Though since I posted that I've dropped a building on one of them... so I suppose leather or metal wouldn't have helped there.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:54:37 pm »

Marksdwarves are prone to charging after running out of bolts. When this happens, it's probably better that they have metal armor, so that they can last while the actual melee dwarves carve up the opposition. If your marksdwarves are behind fortifications, metal armor will defend against hostile marksthings.

If you have elf or gobbo leather and you need to flaunt it in the face of elves or gobbos, try a leather robe. It'll guard all the gaps in the metal armor.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:54:31 pm »

I believe leather armor is pretty much worthless for defending against any kind of weapon-wielding invaders in this version.  My marksdwarves wear the same armor as my melee dwarves, except leggings instead of greaves, and with a mail shirt instead of shirt+breastplate.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku