Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backpacks and wineskins  (Read 1068 times)

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Backpacks and wineskins
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:58:11 pm »

So I was thinking, are either of these ever worth it for military dwarves?  In my experience backpacks lead to food getting dumped all over when soldiers upgrade equipment.  Furthermore, when ordered to do anything like move or kill something, dwarves refuse to eat/drink at all.... Making the carried food and water useless. 

Can I just not have my soldiers carry food and drink without causing any issues?

Zaik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacks and wineskins
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:43 pm »

Instead of interrupting training six or so times a season for trips to the food stockpile, you can have them carry 3 drink and two food with them, which is enough for all their food and all but 1 of their drink requirement per season.

Helps with training a bit and for long sieges where they're chasing a lot of fleeing stuff around.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:15:42 pm »

While they won't eat or drink while on duty, as soon as you relieve them of their station they consume their rations instantly. The only downtime is going to get more.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:52:15 am »

I've had my dwarves as permanently on duty for about 15 in game years now, so they must be able to eat whilst "on duty"
I know they can't eat while stationed or while having a kill order, though
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:26:16 am »

I've had my dwarves as permanently on duty for about 15 in game years now, so they must be able to eat whilst "on duty"
I know they can't eat while stationed or while having a kill order, though
If I remember correctly, as long as you set the minimum number of dwarves stationed somewhere to fewer than the squad total then they can take meal breaks every so often.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!