Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds  (Read 9114 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: The magic disappearing Pig Tail seeds
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:07:18 pm »

Seeds are capped at 200, and were also in 40d.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:22:20 pm »

Variable overflow doesn't magically cause you to have a ridiculous amount; unless you're dealing with reversed bytes, it actually rolls the variable back to 0 and boosts something ELSE by 1 (usually an uninitialized variable, but sometimes not).  To wit: going from 255 to 256 means going from 0x00FFh to 0x0100h if you have a two-byte value, but if it's 1-byte, it goes from 0xFFh to 0x00h and the value that would be the second byte in a larger variable gets incremented by 1.  And I would like to note that this has happened in multiple forts for me, and only ever happens to Pig Tail seeds; no other seed type is affected.  I would also like to restate that I go from nearly 200 seeds to 0 seeds in the span of a single season every time for no discernible reason beyond a byte overflow error.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:24:01 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:49:58 pm »

How many times does your planter cancel the task? If the bag or bags containing them are moved, the dwarf will cancel plant seeds: needs seeds once for each seed in the bag.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:20 pm »

How many times does your planter cancel the task? If the bag or bags containing them are moved, the dwarf will cancel plant seeds: needs seeds once for each seed in the bag.

The task gets canceled 1 to 3 times, depending on how many farming Dwarves are free at the time.  Assuming it gets canceled at all; sometimes there's no message whatsoever about running out of seeds, and I only notice they're gone because my Dwarven Ale stocks are lagging severely behind the rest and my Pig Tail farm plots are all devoid in the heart of the growing season.
Sanity is for the weak.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »

Go to your z->Stocks menu; how much Dwarven Ale do you have on hand?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »

Go to your z->Stocks menu; how much Dwarven Ale do you have on hand?

The quantity before the seeds disappear is usually in line with my Dwarven Beer stocks (unsurprisingly, as Cave Wheat and Pig Tails have the same growing seasons and growing times).  After the seeds vanish, within a season or two, Dwarven Beer gets to be around 50 units higher as the Ale is consumed without replenishment and more Beer is made.  I'd have to check specific forts where this has happened to be sure, but it's pretty uniform: once the seeds completely vanish on me, the Dwarven Ale stocks decline slowly as they get drunk and not replenished.
Sanity is for the weak.

jaxad0127

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:51 pm »

Are the pig tails being cooked instead?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 11:15:41 pm »

No.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 11:17:26 pm »

Are the pig tails being cooked instead?

Of course not; you can't even cook Pig Tails.  I've explained what happens several times now, but I'll list it again for posterity's sake.

1. Dwarves plant Pig Tails
2. Dwarves harvest Pig Tails
3. Dwarves make Dwarven Ale
4. 1-3 repeats and seeds build up
5. 200 Pig Tail seeds mysteriously vanish all at once
6. ???
7. Profit!
Sanity is for the weak.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 01:19:14 am »

Sounds like maybe it's worth reporting on the bug tracker(DF is alpha so bug reports are welcome). I don't get how most posters don't seem to understand what you wrote, seemed clear to me. I've had some wierd seed dissapearing happen to me. Not pig tails(though I will now fire up a pigtail farm to varify for you), but plump helm spawn! Worst thing to happen if your late getting the farming started up, The relief of irrigating that farm while your dwarfs are hunting vermin, only to find the seeds are all gone!! Do hungry dwarfs eat seeds?
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 01:41:56 am »

If I still had it, I would upload the screenshot where I had in excess of FIVE THOUSAND plump helmet seeds.
Legendary famer/brewer ftw.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 05:33:47 am »

Could you bag(s) of seed be forbidden, in a burrow not accessible to your farmer, behind locked doors or a raised bridge ... or anything else along those lines?

There are several reasons why something in your fortress cannot be used. I figured that out when a moody dwarf nearly went insane because he couldn't get some metal bar  he wanted: he was assigned to a specific burrow, and the forges were in a different burrow.

[edit]
Also, did you check your stock (assuming you have an accountant to keep it up to date). If you have seeds, they will show there. Your farmer may not be able to reach them, but at least you'll know they haven't vanished.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:35:44 am by Tanelorn »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 06:49:43 am »

edit: oops, nevermind
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:52:19 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:09 am »

If I still had it, I would upload the screenshot where I had in excess of FIVE THOUSAND plump helmet seeds.
Legendary famer/brewer ftw.

Okay, let me restate that.  The production of seeds is capped at 200.  You can buy as many as you like, which says immediately that the number is not kept in a one-byte variable.  If you did in fact make 5000-plus seeds by the combined actions of a legendary farmer and a legendary brewer, then the capping mechanism was not at that time working correctly when more than 200 seeds were produced at one time.  I have never seen it happen in one of my fortresses, which usually have legendary farmers and brewers after a few years.

If in fact your 5000-plus seeds were produced by an oversight, then correcting that oversight might result in zero seeds being produced whenever the action was calculated to produce more than 200 seeds.  This would also be an incorrect method, and I doubt that is happening, but I'm not in a position to know how Tarn has coded the cap on the production of seeds.  In any event, it should be happening for all seeds produced by brewing, not just for one type.

A possible cause might be that weaving plant processing is not producing seeds.  Amongst all the Dwarven crops, pig tails are the one that can also be used for weaving.  A loss of seeds through weaving would be a drain through which all the pig tail seeds could eventually be lost.  I haven't noticed losing pig tails as a crop due to weaving, but the production of fabric has had much lower priority for me in the newer versions because of the lack of a use for clothing.

Re production cap on seeds:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/23a:Seed
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Seed

Edit: corrected which workshop makes thread from pig tails

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 04:54:54 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 10:22:24 am »

In 0.31.xx, plants don't turn Red in the farm plot menu near the end of their growing season, so your dwarves will keep on planting them even if there isn't enough time for them to be harvested, and when the season changes to one that doesn't support the plant, any seeds or unharvested plants remaining in the farm plot will disappear.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2] 3