Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strange mood close calls  (Read 2332 times)

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Strange mood close calls
« on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »

Just had my armorer have a strange mood, I had plenty of cloth/metal lying around, he grabbed one bar of metal and was on the verge of insanity when apparently he took a newly smelted bar of copper which I already had lying around, and then took the cloth.

If he had gone insane, my fort would be screwed... no military whatsoever, I just started about 3 months ago ingame.

Another: dwarf couldn't get what he wanted, I didn't understand strange moods, went insane, mason punched him to death in one hit
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:54:56 pm by Kearn »
i like goats

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood close calls
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 07:16:43 pm »

It's early summer, so it's kind of a coin flip about whether he's going to make it.

A tragecomedy, in three acts:

Prologue: Summer in the year 101.  The humans come to trade.  I don't really pay much attention, working on other things.  The humans die in a fire, literally.  I don't notice at all, hardly ever looking above ground.

Act the First: Summer in the year 102, in which the humans siege.  A little amused, I check the deceased list -- yep, the liaison had died dring the fire of 101.  I've killed many liaisons, trashed dozens of caravans in other games, but this is the first I've ever seen the humans siege.  Oh well.  Mostly ignored, time passes apace.  Eventually, I finish a drowning chamber for them, and open the entrance, but still they sit.  From our research, this is not unexpected, but it is annoying.  It's not until near the end of winter that they venture forth into it and drown.  Siege over, but I missed the dwarven caravan for the year.

Act the Second: Summer in the year 103.  A glassmaker withdraws from society!  He demands cloth!  Silk cloth!  We have none...and, the humans siege again!

His only hope is to get some from the dwarven caravan...but it won't come if there's a siege.  The humans must be repelled before autumn...but we have no military. 

Options are raised and considered, but there seems to be only one answer -- kill the humans with a wildfire.  The irony is not lost on the dwarves, seeing as the siege was started by humans being killed in a wildfire.  A wildfire machine is prepared, but progress is slow as everytime a dwarf goes outside, the humans charge at him, he runs off, they chase a little bit, then go back to their campfires.  Eventually, however, the machine is done, and a fire is started.

As it expands outward, some of the humans retreat up some ramps.  Fire won't go up the ramps, so they would live.  After a hurried conference, dwarves are sent out to gather plants in the already burnt out center of the fire, which lures the humans into charging into their fiery deaths.  Hurrah, the siege is defeated, days into autumn!

Act the Third: Autumn in the year 103.  Almost on cue, the dwarven caravan arrives...Armok be praised!  (I thought perhaps since it was three or so days into autumn before the siege was listed, no caravan would appear.) With impeccable timing, they arrive after the fire has burned out in their area, and unconcerned about the ashy wasteland, they head towards the Trade Depot.  On the way there, they trigger not one, not two, not three, but *four* goblin ambushes!  (I swear out loud at this.)

Dwarven and goblin bits go everywhere.  Some wagons and mules try to run, only to be cut down by crossbow fire.  Some dwarves escape, but most do not.  The goblins pick off the survivors, and then march directly into my drowning chamber, where they have the good graces to drown.  A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Never fails to make me smile for some odd reason.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 10:24:03 pm »

One of my favourite examples of this was some dick with a resin opal fetish. I had to dig about six of them out to get him to complete his mood.

Ended up with a nice resin opal weapon rack though. I put a weapon stockpile full of cotton candy weapons around it in my barracks.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:18:50 am »

I once had a weaponsmith go moody. I shouted "Oh hell yeah I'll finally get an artifact weapon!"

He created a fine pewter hammer.

I fed him to my dragons.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:12 am »

I keep getting armor.

Not only that, sometimes the dwarves I tell to make cloth for the guy screaming 'I MUST HAVE CLOTH!  I MUST HAVE CLOTH!  I WILL HAVE CLOTH!" decide to attend parties.  That is, the dwarves that are listed as having no job are the ones I hunt down with my omniscient cursor.  I then poke their brains and tell them 'Hey, that loom has some jobs that need doing!  Why don't you go do them?'

Somewhere between the 'duty' impulse and the 'doing' impulse is the 'party' impulse.  That's the only explanation for three dwarves going to a party after I told them to weave.

Oh, and the funnest part?  A magma forge wasn't good enough for the moody dwarf.  So it was a race to build the correct non-magma workshop as well!

Those dwarves better be damn thankful the !!Megaweapon!! isn't built yet.  Otherwise they'd all be melted, and damn the tantrum spirals!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:40:39 am by Thadius »
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:42:08 am »

I keep getting armor.

Not only that, sometimes the dwarves I tell to make cloth for the guy screaming 'I MUST HAVE CLOTH!  I MUST HAVE CLOTH!  I WILL HAVE CLOTH!" decide to attend parties.  That is, the dwarves that are listed as having no job are the ones I hunt down with my omniscient cursor.  I then poke their brains and tell them 'Hey, that loom has some jobs that need doing!  Why don't you go do them?'

Somewhere between the 'duty' impulse and the 'doing' impulse is the 'party' impulse.  That's the only explanation for three dwarves going to a party after I told them to weave.

Oh, and the funnest part?  A magma forge wasn't good enough for the moody dwarf.  So it was a race to build the correct non-magma workshop as well!

Those dwarves better be damn thankful the !!Megaweapon!! isn't built yet.  Otherwise they'd all be melted, and damn the tantrum spirals!

You need more !!Dwarves!!
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 02:46:51 am »

No, what I need is a non-bugged dungeon master.  Those exist, right?  I've got a gorilla problem going on.  Not like the fabled elephant problems.  I just...have about twenty of them.  In cages.  I'd like them to be war gorillas so that when the tantrum spiral happens, they're tearing dwarves in half.

I need more !!Fun!!, and I'm not sure I can get it.

Especially not with green glass grates.  What the hell, Urist?  This isn't magma safe.  This isn't even a helmet!  I can't use this!  Oh, and now you're legendary, great.  Yeah, you can pump out the glass stuff, Urist.  Go ahead and pull this shiny lever for me Urist, then run out to this burrow I've just assigned you to.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

bomburs bane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:31:14 am »

I once had a weaponsmith go moody. I shouted "Oh hell yeah I'll finally get an artifact weapon!"

I fed him to my dragons.

Silver is the best material for conventionally produced hammers.  As far as I can tell from the raws, fine pewter is more dense than silver (higher molar mass).  If I understand game physics correctly (and I don't), that would make a fine pewter hammer more deadly than a silver one of equal quality.  And it's an artifact.  Sure it's no adamantine battle ax, but the hammer he made for you is an extremely powerful weapon.  You were lucky to get it. 

Did you kill him to prevent him from making an equally great weapon for someone else?  Would you describe yourself as the Ivan the Terrible of weaponsmiths?

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 04:21:16 am »

I fed him to my dragons.

Silver is the best material for conventionally produced hammers.  As far as I can tell from the raws, fine pewter is more dense than silver (higher molar mass).  If I understand game physics correctly (and I don't), that would make a fine pewter hammer more deadly than a silver one of equal quality.  And it's an artifact.  Sure it's no adamantine battle ax, but the hammer he made for you is an extremely powerful weapon.  You were lucky to get it. 

Did you kill him to prevent him from making an equally great weapon for someone else?  Would you describe yourself as the Ivan the Terrible of weaponsmiths?

For some reason I thought fine pewter was a bad hammer material. I didn't know it was heavy...........
...Damn. And I threw that artifact down the chasm, too.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:06 am »

No strange moods give me troubles. Bar when they ask for goddamn rock bars. 90% of the time I can't for the life of me figure out what the little emo bastards want. Safe to say 90% of rock bar demands result in walls smeared with artist blood.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 08:23:57 am »

No strange moods give me troubles. Bar when they ask for goddamn rock bars. 90% of the time I can't for the life of me figure out what the little emo bastards want. Safe to say 90% of rock bar demands result in walls smeared with artist blood.
Rock bars is a typo. They mean Rock Blocks, so have your mason make a few blocks.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 09:40:29 am »

It always bugs me when they ask for something I dont have.

Mine keep asking for shell, which is a real shame since none of the local wildlife have shells and you cant trade for them.  My craftdwarf Workshop is the real danger room, claim it at your peril, its been walled in more times than you've had hot meals etc. etc.

Successfully produced three artifacts to date, namely a mudstone grate, a mudstone floodgate and a nifty bone spear....*sigh*
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 10:10:45 am »

One of my Herbalists somehow went into a strange mood and wouldn't go to any workshop. i decided to make it go the way of Fortunado, but it kept standing on the construction site, and soon went beserk. It ended up meeting the business end of my spearman's weapon of choice.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 03:15:53 am »

A while back, I had some migrants arrive. Most of them moved in no problem, but one guy seemed content to hang out on the edge of the map for some odd reason. He seemed all right, so I left him to it.

then one day, he got a mood.  He didn't budge, so I scrambled to build every workshop that I didn't already have (he was a peasant with no skills). He still made no move to claim one.

Suddenly, it dawned on me: he couldn't cross the river!  I quickly got a bridge built, and he dashed in to claim a craftsdwarf shop.  But oh teh noes, I lacked some things he was wanting!  Thankfully, I struck iron, smelted it up, and he happily grabbed metal bars amongst the other crap.

He turned out a wooden earring.

Had I known, I would have just left him to it on the edge of the map all by his lonesome.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 03:18:03 am »

Rock bars is a typo. They mean Rock Blocks, so have your mason make a few blocks.

Nope I had tons of blocks, metal bars, shells, gems, wood, both types of cloth, Armok knows what sitting around. No dice.

From her preferences I suspect she wanted nickel silver. But it's too late to find out now.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.
Pages: [1] 2